• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,877 posts in this topic

Here's today's installment. This is the last of what I've got other than some pence copies of Ghost Rider & Marvel Spotlight.

th_CapitaineAmerica2.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica3.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica6.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica22.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica7475.jpg

th_CapitaineAmerica8485.jpgth_CaptainAmerica1-1.jpgth_CaptainAmerica6.jpgth_Detective575.jpgth_Detective577.jpg

th_Devil50.jpgth_Devil51.jpgth_GruneLaterne114.jpgth_Hulk1.jpgth_IronMan9.jpg

th_IronMan8182.jpgth_Namor.jpgth_Superman15.jpgth_Superman136.jpgth_SupermanBatman14.jpg

th_Supermann4.jpgth_TalesofSuspense65.jpgth_Thor.jpgth_Thor27.jpgth_Warlock9.jpg

th_Warlock11.jpgth_XMen1.jpg

Great taste in foreigns..... of the bunch my opinion is that the Greek Xmen #1 is the rarest and most difficult to find! With the Mexican Avengers a close second....

What werewithal of the greeks to use the classic Xmen 94 artwork for there #1 issue!

Edited by Define999

Here's today's installment. This is the last of what I've got other than some pence copies of Ghost Rider & Marvel Spotlight.

th_CapitaineAmerica2.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica3.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica6.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica22.jpgth_CapitaineAmerica7475.jpg

th_CapitaineAmerica8485.jpgth_CaptainAmerica1-1.jpgth_CaptainAmerica6.jpgth_Detective575.jpgth_Detective577.jpg

th_IronMan8182.jpgth_Namor.jpgth_Superman15.jpgth_Superman136.jpgth_SupermanBatman14.jpg

th_Supermann4.jpgth_TalesofSuspense65.jpgth_Thor.jpgth_Thor27.jpgth_Warlock9.jpg

Great taste in foreigns..... of the bunch my opinion is that the Greek Xmen #1 is the rarest and most difficult to find! With the Mexican Avengers a close second....

What werewithal of the greeks to use the classic Xmen 94 artwork for there #1 issue!

There's actually another one of the Avengers on ebay right now.

Link

The Greek X-Men #1 I picked up because it was dirt cheap. About a month later I saw another seller that had like 5 or 6 copies for sale for more than I paid but not by much. At the time I figured it must be a more common issue so I didn't snag any of them.

There's actually another one of the Avengers on ebay right now.

Link

The Greek X-Men #1 I picked up because it was dirt cheap. About a month later I saw another seller that had like 5 or 6 copies for sale for more than I paid but not by much. At the time I figured it must be a more common issue so I didn't snag any of them.

Wow, 5 or 6 copies is alot...... sometimes it seems the market for these books is hot and cold. You could go a long time not seeing any and then all of a sudden a bunch hit the market.... then it goes cold for a long while! I can honestly say I have never seen that Greek book for sale on Ebay America.... wish I had seen that dirt cheap! doh!

From a foreign perspective, I find it interesting that the US foreign variants/editions follow a Hierarchy of interest/value.

1- The ones that offer more value are key issues that were the first ones to have been printed in the respective countries.

Have a look at these 3 versions all printed in Brazil. First one was printed in 74, just 6 months after the original US copy, the second in 1980 and the third in 1991. I bet copy 1 would be the one of most interest to collectors.

asm129vrias.jpg

2 - The closest possible resemblance with the original cover, the more valuable it seems to have. These 2 Brazilian prints of ASM 252.

I bet that not many foreign collectors would find much value in Copy #2

This might change though with the appearance of rejected covers like the ones mentioned above since it shows original covers from US artists that were never used before in the US. For a Ditko fan, that Italian and Brazilian versions might have more value.

ASM252both.jpg

3- Then there are those books that even though do not print any keys whatsoever and the cover has nothing to do with the story itself , still attracts the interest of the foreign collector.

This Brazilian book prints Marvel Team-up 136. Not a much valued story, but this cover It shows a classic Spidey pose + a background of an actual photo of city buildings. High novelty points on this one.

(Btw, if anybody knows where this photo if from, I´d like to know if that is actually in New York!)

Aranha62.jpg

Or a print of CAP 236. Where the main story is called "Death Dive". See how the Brazilian editor changed the cover to adapt for the tittle of the main story.

Pretty cool

capitaoamerica237.jpg

1- The ones that offer more value are key issues that were the first ones to have been printed in the respective countries.

Have a look at these 3 versions all printed in Brazil. First one was printed in 74, just 6 months after the original US copy, the second in 1980 and the third in 1991. I bet copy 1 would be the one of most interest to collectors.

That would be correct in my case, and in alot of cases maybe... I think the further you get away from the original printing in the foreign country the more its just a 2nd and 3rd print. The idea being similar to my friend's use of stating this in the books classification....

1st print, France, French language

the 2nd, 3rd or whatever....

but when one factors in rarity, at least for me... my idea of value has changed somewhat. Its evolved into a situation where I find myself disregarding the norm, or the price guide, or just the generally accepted way things are. I find since getting interested in these books I seem to care less about these “value norms” in our hobby. Its liberating…. All that being said I still would prefer the EBAL one. lol Old habits die hard!

2 - The closest possible resemblance with the original cover, the more valuable it seems to have. These 2 Brazilian prints of ASM 252.

I bet that not many foreign collectors would find much value in Copy #2

This might change though with the appearance of rejected covers like the ones mentioned above since it shows original covers from US artists that were never used before in the US. For a Ditko fan, that Italian and Brazilian versions might have more value.

For me I kind of attribute this to the "connection" factor.... I like when the foreign books have altered the art, but not to much? I dont know why, but I want the foreign art to maintain its connection to the American art.... hm

A kind of evolution thing maybe? I do think new foreign art/rejected art can be really cool…. Just not preferred for whatever reason… at least to me! And again I like when the art gets changed similar to the Italian 300! With the black cover its different but still faithful to the original. Others should chime in about this…..

Spiderman300_foreignvariants-1.jpg

3- Then there are those books that even though do not print any keys whatsoever and the cover has nothing to do with the story itself , still attracts the interest of the foreign collector.

This Brazilian book prints Marvel Team-up 136. Not a much valued story, but this cover It shows a classic Spidey pose + a background of an actual photo of city buildings. High novelty points on this one.

(Btw, if anybody knows where this photo if from, I´d like to know if that is actually in New York!)

not sure on the skyline.. (shrug)

Hell yea it attracts interest. Anytime original art from a specific issue can be re-incorporated its pretty cool… I think the obsessiveness of some foreign collectors to have every possible incarnation of a favorite issues publishing history is a big part of this….. even though its technically not a foreign variant/first foreign printing/ reprint/whatever…. lol I can almost feel Spidey 300/301 lovers taking a longer loving glance in that books direction…..

Aranha62.jpg

Or a print of CAP 236. Where the main story is called "Death Dive". See how the Brazilian editor changed the cover to adapt for the tittle of the main story.
Sometimes the foreign editors/publishers made some pretty interesting editorial decisions.... I do find this part fascinating as a American seeking out foreign books.... (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

I've been going mainly after Captain America related stuff and anything with covers by Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson or Nick Cardy. As long as it fits into one of those categories I'm happy. I don't read/write any languages other than English so the interior content isn't really that important to me.

Funny, the Brazilian Ebal editor also used the rejected cover.

I actually prefer the other one. The one that was used in the US doesn´t have Spidey´s pointed at the readers while he´s clutching his hands lol

ebalboards.jpg

And I agree I would rather not see Spidey's brown eye!

It´s funny cause its true lol

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.pt/2011/08/rejected-covers.html

Foreign editions can be fascinating and I find them especially interesting when the covers are tweaked (and sometimes the story, as well) to reflect the local mores and/or political situation.

If anyone has original first-in-country publications of FF1 or ASM 1 or TOS39 I will pay competitively.

Also interested in other specific issues, partial list: FF 1, 2, 4, 15, 19, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 52 and annual 2; ASM 1, 9, 25, 54, 59, 68, 94, annual 5, spectacular spider-man 1 and 1 (if those exist; Sgt. Fury 1, 13, 18, 19, 64, 75; silver surfer 1, 10, 17, 18. Dr. Strange 169, Strange Tales 135, TOS 39, 45, Sub-Mariner 1, 39.

:shy:

100_0686508x381.jpg

100_0687508x381.jpg

(1963 for sure)

Foreign editions can be fascinating and I find them especially interesting when the covers are tweaked (and sometimes the story, as well) to reflect the local mores and/or political situation.

If anyone has original first-in-country publications of FF1 or ASM 1 or TOS39 I will pay competitively.

Also interested in other specific issues, partial list: FF 1, 2, 4, 15, 19, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 52 and annual 2; ASM 1, 9, 25, 54, 59, 68, 94, annual 5, spectacular spider-man 1 and 1 (if those exist; Sgt. Fury 1, 13, 18, 19, 64, 75; silver surfer 1, 10, 17, 18. Dr. Strange 169, Strange Tales 135, TOS 39, 45, Sub-Mariner 1, 39.

:shy:

100_0686508x381.jpg

100_0687508x381.jpg

(1963 for sure)

Very cool. Don't suppose that is your undercopy?

This is by far my favorite variant of all, I fell in love with it, when you posted it a couple of years back....still waiting for you let me know when you are ready to let it go...;)

Hey, that's great. However, see that the author recognizes the dramatic quality of the original pose. Not only Spidey descends from above, but he’s also doing that by webs. Either Goodman or Stan were too sensitive about such a silly idea. And I’m sure who did it wasn’t enthusiastic about redrawing Spidey for these reasons.

I think it’s definitely the cover it should have been.

I’m sorry but… – at least in this case – italians do it better. :D

L’Uomo Ragno #1 featured a collage with Romita artwork. Spidey has those little "sparklings" around his head, and if no one knows, might think it’s his Spider-sense tingling, while it’s taken from the inside pages of the "non-Comics Code" drug-themed issues.

Actually it's from the inside pages of Amazing Spider-man #48. Spidey is not drugged, he is just dizzy from a cold. The drug-themed issues were not until four years later,

corno1001.jpg

001qhh.jpg