• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,872 posts in this topic

To be honest, here we should make a distinction between what is considered a "variant" and what is simply a foreign edition collectors enjoy because of the "universal scope" collecting may acquire.

The only issue I would consider a "variant" is L’Uomo Ragno #29, which features an alternate version of the Ditko art to the cover, which very likely was sent to the italian publisher by mistake.

hm

The same book printed in the US with a different cent price or with the Mark Jeweler Advertisement Insert is considered a variant.

I sought out that GI Joe for a long time and finally gave up last year.....very nice to see it..

This is one coool thread!!! NIce books posted

It's in really nice shape...I couldn't believe it. I'll scan it and post it later on.

I read the story as well, and I have to say the translation is terrible.

I sought out that GI Joe for a long time and finally gave up last year.....very nice to see it..

This is one coool thread!!! NIce books posted

It's in really nice shape...I couldn't believe it. I'll scan it and post it later on.

I read the story as well, and I have to say the translation is terrible.

Read it? Isn't that supposed to be the silent issue? How do you mis-translate that? lol

I recently bought a few foreign Superman books off eBay. They were shipped from Italy in nothing more than a mailing envelope with no cardboard or anything. The condition on them is not the best as you can imagine. Here are some of the examples.

e1RSw.jpgTgwuG.jpg0ybWi.jpg

rCfVR.jpgmv3kt.jpg

I recently bought a few foreign Superman books off eBay. They were shipped from Italy in nothing more than a mailing envelope with no cardboard or anything. The condition on them is not the best as you can imagine. Here are some of the examples.

e1RSw.jpgTgwuG.jpg0ybWi.jpg

rCfVR.jpgmv3kt.jpg

:applause: Nice.

The same book printed in the US with a different cent price or with the Mark Jeweler Advertisement Insert is considered a variant.

Of course, these are variants. I know the meaning of the term, as we’re talking of same-country editions, but I was questioning whether we should call "variants" foreign edition books. That’s the reason for which I could consider a variant L’Uomo Ragno #29, since it features a Steve Ditko cover which was never used in an american edition, neither at the time, nor (to my knowledge) in any US reprint.

Of course, these are variants. I know the meaning of the term, as we’re talking of same-country editions, but I was questioning whether we should call "variants" foreign edition books. That’s the reason for which I could consider a variant L’Uomo Ragno #29, since it features a Steve Ditko cover which was never used in an american edition, neither at the time, nor (to my knowledge) in any US reprint.

(shrug) Not wanting to go further on the definition itself, here is a good read about what might be considered, or not, a variant:

http://dellcomicfan.blogspot.pt/2011/10/are-there-any-dell-variants-103.html

Funny, the Brazilian Ebal editor also used the rejected cover.

I actually prefer the other one. The one that was used in the US doesn´t have Spidey´s pointed at the readers while he´s clutching his hands lol

ebalboards.jpg

I actually prefer the other one. The one that was used in the US doesn´t have Spidey´s pointed at the readers while he´s clutching his hands lol

ebalboards.jpg

Any idea what year this came out? I'm wondering if it predates the Italian version of this book

October 1970. Don´t know when the Italian was printed though

Here is a quick group pic of a few Heritage editions I had handy. There are a couple there that I haven't run across another copy of, particularly the GI Joe 21...

b6630894.jpg

Really nice group there! 3 Iron man 55 variants uh? I might have to hit ya up if my acquisition falls through the cracks? hm

An item of note is this…..

Screenshot2012-04-20at93531AM.png

Screenshot2012-04-20at93536AM.png

Screenshot2012-04-20at93547AM.png

Screenshot2012-04-20at93552AM.png

Screenshot2012-04-20at93605AM.png

A knowledgeable French Canadian collector wrote this book some time ago! This guy apparently knows everything there is to know about the Editions Heritage, like print runs, indexing, curiosities, you name it…..

Ghostrider a boardie here knows him. I will PM him and ask him to shed some light on this issue. Unfortunately no one has been willing to translate the book into English. Maybe the thought is that non-French speaking collectors are not interested. I can tell you that many collectors like us would be interested and hopefully one day this translation will happen…. :wishluck:

Yes, this isn’t surprising! My Spanish punisher was sent the same way… probably dropped 3 grades on its way to me across the pond. In the foreign sellers defense though condition just isn’t an issue for them normally. Remember when purchasing books from across the pond to ask them politely to include some form of stiff board at the very least. Many will also put your book into plastic or a bag if you ask. :gossip:

In the same breath though I have received books from overseas that were very securely shipped even without asking. These were if I remember correctly, comic shops so they already knew the shipping game pretty well. Just a tip…. (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

(shrug) Not wanting to go further on the definition itself, here is a good read about what might be considered, or not, a variant:

http://dellcomicfan.blogspot.pt/2011/10/are-there-any-dell-variants-103.html

ebalboards.jpg

Nice article on variant Dells! And I agree I would rather not see Spidey's brown eye!

Speaking of the variant vs reprint debate... After recently speaking to a dealer friend of mine thru email..... his suggestion with foreigns classifications, specifically and technically was to call them this…..

FIRST EDITION as a France French Language Comic.

FIRST EDITION as a Canada French Language Comic.

FIRST EDITION as a Brazil Portuguese Language Comic.

FIRST EDITION as a Greece Greek Language Comic.

ETC...

This makes perfect sense but its sooooo wordy! lol I still think foreign variant is a sexier moniker! lol

\(shrug\) Not wanting to go further on the definition itself, here is a good read about what might be considered, or not, a variant:

@Barbarian: My reasoning: I think we already have the definition in meaning of the word. Otherwise, we would define any foreign edition of a local comic (either way, from any starting language/culture to another) as a "variant", which is a too much vague definition for a concept for which we already have the term: "foreign edition" (as related as its country of origin).

Any idea what year this came out? I'm wondering if it predates the Italian version of this book

@Bill: Italian edition came out in May 27, 1971. So the Brazilian edition it’s the first use of the different Ditko cover (although it’s been recolored not following the original color scheme). Would be interesting to know more about the cover story.

I actually prefer the other one. The one that was used in the US doesn´t have Spidey´s *spoon* pointed at the readers while he´s clutching his hands lol

May just be that I’ve always been exposed to the italian edition, but I always thought that pose quite dramatic, with some tension which is lacking in the more conventional original cover. I find it weaker, like Spidey’s very relaxed in tackling Molten. :) Don’t know what is a *spoon* but I guess is Spidey’s "backside"…

Edited by vaillant