• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

The older Silver Age stuff was printed in a different place than Bronze books were, so I'd guess that would be the main reason. Different equipment, company, procedures, etc.

Hey Dice

Not sure if this has been asked already but what causes the soiling grey/black marks on the interior of comics, I have had them in many 80-90s marvel stuff and most recently in an ASM 129 they are often very uniform, contain repeating gemoetric paterns or lines, and most prominent on the first two pages .

I have also noticed a lot of small perforations on the bottom of interior pages.

I will post some pics tonight.

Thanks in advance

Jake

I have 2 books with the same issue.

here is one of them. Sorry for the bad pics. the book has 4 staples. Looks like the book was produced without a cover and then a cover was stapled on after in a 2nd run so now the cover is attached to the interior with the outer staples.

I think this is production related and not a "married" kind of issue.

shot of the cover and the splash page so you can see how the cover is attached.

2012-09-29154649.jpg

shot of the centerfold.

2012-09-29154713.jpg

strangely, on both books that this issue, the first thing I noticed was the bad overhangs on the bottom edges of both books. Normally you see more overhangs on the top or right edge but both have overhangs on all 3 edges.

Am I right that this is a production issue?

Edited by etanick

Your answer is here...

Hi; hi.gif I got another little manafacturing error that I have been wandering about for a while. I have two comics a Defenders 50 and a Marvel Tales 82 and I did have a Peter Parker 7 that all have two sets of staples in other words two at the top and two at the bottom what I found strange about this is that one set of staples is inside the cover and the other set holds the cover on and all three of these comics are like that. It is like the comic was stapled together without the cover and then they sent it back through and stapled a cover over it confused-smiley-013.gif did this ever happen ???

Cosmic,

I asked DiceX the same question a few months ago. Here is his reply:

I received the book today.

It looks to me like it was a "hand bound reject".

I'll try to explain it...

A publisher requires a certain number of books to be produced.

During the bindery run, they have enough raw product to produce the run + a percentage predicted by the bindery allowed for waste.

Say the run is 100,000 books and the bindery expects 3% waste...They receive 103,000 books worth of raw product.

During the run there are books that jam up in the binder, or have odd flaws (untrimmed, unstapled, no cover, etc.).

Those books are stacked to the side until the end of the run.

When the raw product has been depleated, if the count doesn't add up to what the publisher ordered, they have to find a way to fill the order.

They go through the "reject" skid to find any books that can be salvaged. There is usually nothing wrong with them, they just have been produced incorrectly.

They take those books and piece together what they can.

These books are bound by hand, stitched (stapled) by hand, then hand trimmed on a flatbed cutter. Whatever they have to do on a book by book basis.

After "pulling rejects", if the order still has not been filled, they have to go back to press to run enough raw pieces to finish it off.

The book you sent looks like it was produced without a cover.

The body of the book had already been stapled, so a fresh cover was placed on the book and stitched onto the body. (The second set of staples)

The staples are done by hand, so that would explain why they were off centered.

There are no other staple holes in the cover, so it was definately a raw cover that was placed on the book.

Afterwards it was hand trimmed on a flatbed.

No doubt in my mind that the book left the factory this way.

I don't know if this book would have passed through CGC without a purple label, because I don't know if they would have been able to tell it was a factory error.

wink.gif

Q: common mid 60's DC defect: lots of them have the staples punched through the paper. I called CGC they said they would maybe downgrade from 9.4 to 9.2 or 9.0

Anyone have any idea how hard they would ding this?

The whole area under the staple was punched through, but no paper is coming up around the sides.

The pictured book looks brand new 9.4 otherwise:

teentitans63.png

I can't see what you're talking about in the blurry photo.

Are you talking about the paper right under the staple starting to split but it's still hanging on?

If it’s what I seem to get, I have a Hulk #126 which had the same problem.

Probably some manufacturing issue made the staples to "punch" through the paper (this was mostly with the bottom staple), and so with time, the centerfolds started to detach at that staple.

Since it was low-midgrade (around a 4.0/4.5) I just opened the staple and secured the paper with a small piece of archival tape, to avoid all the pages being ripped because of the staple "marks".

hi guys first time poster, the first flaw you guys noted showed holes on the bottom of the page, i have a number of amazing spiderman 361 that are in perfect shape except for these holes, the holes go through the first 10 page and the last 10 pages, my question to the board is does this affect the grade? if the comic is otherwise nm/mt, wil it grade 9.6 or 9.8 or does cgc detract for this printing defect? thx you

If the holes are on the inside pages it does not seem to have any affect on the grade.

If they're in the cover, they do hurt the grade a little.

How about a nice tear (3 to 4 inches)? Yeah it happened to me, before sending to CGC this morning I wanted to give it one last read and ended up with this tear....any help is much appreciated!

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=9886abba74&view=att&th=13ad3fb5a5559037&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9akvSAZo_dHHKnHugXqk5r&sadet=1352177337532&sads=kP_ZfHlHs0f-Pep1nEYcGsHxjPo

Hi, First time posting so I hope this works.

How rare or unique is this production flaw? I have personally read thousands of comics and only seen this once.

<a  href=http://s8.postimage.org/gruo2ox41/IMG_0270.jpg' alt='IMG_0270.jpg'> IMG_0271.jpg IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0273.jpg[/img]

It seems a paper-only related flaw, so I guess it’s quite unique.

More than "flaw" I would say damage, however, and so as far as I can get it’s not something bound to raise curiosity like – say – switched color plates: here you seem to have the paper of the page divided into two leafs.

I guess I should have described it a bit, sorry my fault.

Its actually an extra piece of paper, only its only a third of the size of a real page (top to bottom).

It is stapled into place and looks like it was printed over-top of the other pages.

I don't know the printing process for comic books, but i have trouble picturing how a third of a page could be fed into a printing system without causing a paper jam.

The comic itself is in NM shape, but it isn't old or collectable. I know it isn't worth any money, I was just hoping for an explanation of this process, and how often something like this could happen.

Edited by jerdog

Here's one. This book is exemplary except for the color strike. It's not sun faded. It's been in a box for 20 years. Here's the book. Thoughts? It's not the greatest pic., but it's what I have at the moment. 44278B54-BEE0-463D-BAD0-E06FD3C7B281-32937-0000195D3929679F.jpg

Colors look normal, maybe the black is a little desaturated, but it is hard to judge from the low quality of the picture.

In the 1940s, it was common in Italy to have publications with pretty different colors from copy to copy; of course since the 1980s printing has been so good that is more difficult to find differences, but I have some late 1980s Gladstone Disney comics whose cover colors are less or more saturated (also some silver sge Fantastic Four: I have seen copies with more magenta, noticeable in the FF uniforms).