• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Got a stapling question - may have been addressed already but I dont have time to scan 30 pages.

I have two copies of Wolverine #1 88 series both 9.8 and as I inspect the two books to decide which one to keep and which to sell I notice that the two are stapled in different positions. One (book A) has the high staple about 1.25" from the top edge of the book, the second (book B) high staple is about 1.75" from the top edge almost a full staple width lower than the first book. The lower staples are even more significant. The first book (book A) lower staple is about 1" from the bottom, in line with the Spidey face. Book B is stapled about a half inch above the spidey face. Almost like book A was stapled wider, closer to the edges and book B stapled closer together with wider gaps from the edge.

Long story to a simple question, how and when are the books stapled and if they are machine stapled why the variation? I have no reason to suspect these books have been altered or restored and they are cgc graded universal. Could this just be simple machine variations or is there more human involvement to allow for the differences?

Thanks guys/ girls :)

Yes. Very possible. It's stapled before it gets trimmed. The staples are done by machine but can vary in the event of a miss-feed. Also could vary if the machine was worked on during the production and the position of the staples was moved on accident.

Good to know thanks, I think I'll keep the one with the closer staples because the cover is straighter :)

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered....

Are production errors taken into consideration with CGC's grading?

CGC won't answer me, so hopefully someone here has some experience with this.

I have a few books ready for grading with the puncture holes along the bottom.

It depends on the error and severity of it. If it's a major error, they'll put it in a green slab.

More common errors like roller marks, bindery tears, dog ears, siamese pages, are probably counted towards the grade.

when it comes to stapling please remember that many times there are more than one stapler on the production line. and as they are adjustable. so you can expect many different locations.

and the books themselves go through several stages, almost always handled by printers, so tears,wear etc can be common.

My favorite production flaw I own

It's a copy of Marvel FF 74 with a DC Superman 205 corner....top that oddball.

it came out before hulk vs batman and spiderman vs hulk....I'll call it a very early company crossover..... :insane:

Wow Collin..How could that happen? Or am I being gullible here? lol

My favorite production flaw I own

It's a copy of Marvel FF 74 with a DC Superman 205 corner....top that oddball.

it came out before hulk vs batman and spiderman vs hulk....I'll call it a very early company crossover..... :insane:

Six Gun Heroes #58 printed with the wrong cover.

2dbj9qo.jpg

jazzman

is it possible CGC damaged your book?

Nope, the original owner submitted it like that. It's clearly a production flaw.

Yep, if you search the issue, it's quite common. :)

I bought this one on Ebay. The seller said it looked like dirt or a paw print. It looks like someone thumbed the comic while the ink was still wet. It's a fingerprint(s) that's in the comic itself. Does this get it a "qualified" grade? How does this work?

I've actually been buying defective books on purpose. I can't find a restored book cheap enough to buy to hone my skills while working with these black lights I have. First thing I found was that all new lenses are UV blocked. Second is that all newer DSLRs have a UV screen in front of the CCD. A 1/60th exposure, reciprocity, all these UV barriers make that same photo a 3 second exposure.

I'm still working on mastering UV photography. It's still rough.

Is this a production flaw?

DSC03881-small.jpg