• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

He's talking about a miswrap. :preach:

Nah, he's talking about a nut-sack, er . . . printer's crease. :preach: :preach:

That's what I thought he was talking about. That's why I wanted clarification.

Miscuts! (Book not cut squarely)

Not much to say here other than a Quality Control problem.

If the cover is misaligned during binding, it can have have a bad wrap on the book.

The trim could run high or low causing additional problems.

By "wrap" I mean how the black line dividing the front and back cover not falling perfectly on the spine.

Now for something you might not know...

This is a problem that is much more common in the Bronze Age than any other age.

If you've ever seen a book where the spine line lays perfectly on the spine, but the "Marvel Comics Group" banner runs slightly diagonal compared to the top edge of the book.

One possibility is that the trim of the book is skewed (the sides are not a perfect 90 degrees from the others).

However, if you see this to be an extremely common flaw on a particular book, it's quite possible the Original Artwork itself is skewed.

Example below...

The red lines are perfectly parallel, but look at the lines that make up the "King-Sized Annual" banner.

508648-coverskew.jpg

This is common on a lot of books from the Bronze Age.

Marvel Spotlight #5, and Ghost Rider #1 (Two of my favorites) have this problem.

And it all goes back to the original art.

I have no idea why some of the covers were built this way, and some were not.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I would just add, having been a commercial artist and understanding the old method of paste up and layout, that a lot of the stuff on the covers were pasted on. Common elements of the covers such as the logo were photocopied and pasted to either the original artwrork or a copy of it before the photographic plate making process. This is how the uniform look of the logo is maintained over the course of many years and dozens of issues.

So one of a few things can happen to create the crooked appearance of the banners on some covers. First is that the fixative used was the repositionable type which is the case most of the time. This allows for correcting the position of the piece without tearing up the art. So it is possible that the pasted element shifted during transport to the camera, photocopy machine or printer. The second is that a lot of times it would be some office production assistant or other non-artist or someone in a great hurry that would paste these items onto the artwork. In this case, carelessness or lack of experience might cause this issue.

Edited by SPIRIT_RADIO

I have a question about this phenomena. I have a few books purchased from one dealer that have greases such as this. I do not press books so I have no idea of pressing can cause this issue as well.

The books are silver to bronze age Marvels. Most of them are a little too valuable to check the creases to see if they are white underneath. I have tried to sell a few of these on ebay, but have had no luck.

I have recently become a member of the forum and now have access to people that know about stuff like this. If this can be caused by pressing, I will need to check the creases on a few of these to see if they are white inside. If I find they have been pressed, I will need to disclose this in any attemps I make to sell them.

So the question is: Can pressing cause this type of crease? If so, what does it do to the value of the book?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Edited by SPIRIT_RADIO

The crease can't be caused by pressing. It's caused during production of the book. Doesn't matter if there is ink inside or not, it's still production related.

here is one bad miscut...if this book is worthly and it is not to be slab, CGC probably will turn it down because it won't fit?

miscut.jpg

either leave the scanner lid open or place dark color paper over the book.. way too much white going on to tell the edges...

cgc will slab a terrible mis-cut.. it most likely will fit a slab...it overhang that they have problems with...i had this slabbed..no problems...it was an old green label 9.0 "Q" bad mis-cut... reslabbed now into a blue..8.5

1001227-004.jpg

.it was an old green label 9.0 "Q" bad mis-cut... reslabbed now into a blue..8.5

1001227-004.jpg

Glad this one's not in the grading contest . . . I'd have a hard time giving it a 6.0 never mind an 8.5 :insane:

hm this just came up on ebay: Uncanny X-Men #142 Double Cover Interesting book, but is this possible to have come out of the factory in this condition? With the top edge of the inner cover not cut with the rest of the book and shouldn't the outter Cover also not be cut at the top and maybe have a white border on it? (shrug) I collect weird error stuff like this and would really like to know if this is authnic and if so how it happened? :gossip:

!Bt!i)twCWk~$(KGrHqIOKjoEvNoEoge-BL6I)bpSY!~~_3.JPG

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

Looks legit to me except for the top edge, but I think I know what happened.

The top edge of the inside cover was folded down into the comic during production. Whoever bought it opened the book up flat and unfolded the top flap of the inside cover. I think I see a crease on the top edge of the inside cover.

That would have allowed the book to be trimmed on top and still have the raw factory edge of the second cover.

I say it's 100% legit. (thumbs u

:) So the book has a dog ear inner cover? :cool:

hm Could you go more into the process of how covers are put onto the pages? Are they lifted and placed on the pages as they go by, or maybe just droped from a feader of some sort? What are the mechinecs of the process? Just trying to see how the inner cover might have got folded before it got stapled. I do have some single cover books with Dog Ear Covers so I do know it happens. :gossip:

Got a stapling question - may have been addressed already but I dont have time to scan 30 pages.

I have two copies of Wolverine #1 88 series both 9.8 and as I inspect the two books to decide which one to keep and which to sell I notice that the two are stapled in different positions. One (book A) has the high staple about 1.25" from the top edge of the book, the second (book B) high staple is about 1.75" from the top edge almost a full staple width lower than the first book. The lower staples are even more significant. The first book (book A) lower staple is about 1" from the bottom, in line with the Spidey face. Book B is stapled about a half inch above the spidey face. Almost like book A was stapled wider, closer to the edges and book B stapled closer together with wider gaps from the edge.

Long story to a simple question, how and when are the books stapled and if they are machine stapled why the variation? I have no reason to suspect these books have been altered or restored and they are cgc graded universal. Could this just be simple machine variations or is there more human involvement to allow for the differences?

Thanks guys/ girls :)

My favorite production flaw I own

It's a copy of Marvel FF 74 with a DC Superman 205 corner....top that oddball.

it came out before hulk vs batman and spiderman vs hulk....I'll call it a very early company crossover..... :insane:

102721.jpg.b6e6b443b06bf160248e5fa779be7630.jpg

Got a stapling question - may have been addressed already but I dont have time to scan 30 pages.

I have two copies of Wolverine #1 88 series both 9.8 and as I inspect the two books to decide which one to keep and which to sell I notice that the two are stapled in different positions. One (book A) has the high staple about 1.25" from the top edge of the book, the second (book B) high staple is about 1.75" from the top edge almost a full staple width lower than the first book. The lower staples are even more significant. The first book (book A) lower staple is about 1" from the bottom, in line with the Spidey face. Book B is stapled about a half inch above the spidey face. Almost like book A was stapled wider, closer to the edges and book B stapled closer together with wider gaps from the edge.

Long story to a simple question, how and when are the books stapled and if they are machine stapled why the variation? I have no reason to suspect these books have been altered or restored and they are cgc graded universal. Could this just be simple machine variations or is there more human involvement to allow for the differences?

Thanks guys/ girls :)

Yes. Very possible. It's stapled before it gets trimmed. The staples are done by machine but can vary in the event of a miss-feed. Also could vary if the machine was worked on during the production and the position of the staples was moved on accident.