• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

If there never was a top staple from the time of manufacture on a comic,no staple holes.Would that get a qualified label or be considered a production related flaw and come back a blue label?

I had a copy come back blue 9.8.

Awesome thanx. :applause:

I have a Detective Comics #359(1st batgirl) without the top staple.

Scan10120.jpg

Adventure Comics #373: there is some kind of printing defect on the back. I say original printing error because it is not rough or wavy (as if tape pull or water). Smooth like the rest of the cover, just not there. You can even see some hints of the colors that should be there.

6845968e.jpg

65472aa6.jpg

That is a water or blanket wash drip from when they were starting the press.

It gets on the paper and prevents the ink from sticking to it.

Production related.

definatly a drip, more than likely on the image roller and not the paper. the plates don't touch the paper, they tranfer the ink to the image roller and the image roller makes contact with the actual paper, in this case it appears a solvent was dripped onto the image roller as this cover went through. after a few rotations its back to normal.

as for the chipping, i'd say that the blade plys a role. books are cut perhaps 20-30 at a time and the blade comes down and moves to the right and downward. the WB book shown in this thread also shows the pattern of this as it has left facing edges (the top edge is cut with the right side edge against the cutters right side guide) other cases of chipping seem atributed to a "dull" blade pulling the edge out, because its not sharp enough to cut right through

Edited by junkdrawer16000

I agree, the majority of MC occurs along the right edge of the book where there is no overflash, so I don't know how much water this theory holds. There's also the possibility the ink layer was somewhat brittle, or had other properties that caused the "crack" the led to the chip, like putting fingernail polish on a piece of paper and trying to cut it with a scissors... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't answer for the ink used in the 60's, but today's ink is very pliable.

It doesn't set up hard like nail polish.

But I know today's ink is quite different than what was printed years ago.

It's possible this could have contributed to the chipping problem, but I have no way to prove it one way or the other.

This does sound reasonable. I know several people who were buying early Marvels off the stands and they say that chipped copies WERE on the rack. I'm going to post an example of what is called "pre Marvel " chipping by some, where the chipping is outlined on the cover but is still not gone. There is another example in KorvacSaga's sales thread.....a JIM 62. These are books where a break is present in the ink on the front cover but it doesn't show evidence of breaking or chipping on the inside cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

jim54.jpg

P.S. I've never seen this on a book post "63. I have noticed rough cut (jagged) right edges on many books into 1966, although this seems to be something different from the chipping....although still an example of poor QA from the time period.

Edited by jimjum12

I agree, the majority of MC occurs along the right edge of the book where there is no overflash, so I don't know how much water this theory holds. There's also the possibility the ink layer was somewhat brittle, or had other properties that caused the "crack" the led to the chip, like putting fingernail polish on a piece of paper and trying to cut it with a scissors... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't answer for the ink used in the 60's, but today's ink is very pliable.

It doesn't set up hard like nail polish.

But I know today's ink is quite different than what was printed years ago.

It's possible this could have contributed to the chipping problem, but I have no way to prove it one way or the other.

This does sound reasonable. I know several people who were buying early Marvels off the stands and they say that chipped copies WERE on the rack. I'm going to post an example of what is called "pre Marvel " chipping by some, where the chipping is outlined on the cover but is still not gone. There is another example in KorvacSaga's sales thread.....a JIM 62. These are books where a break is present in the ink on the front cover but it doesn't show evidence of breaking or chipping on the inside cover. GOD BLESS...

jim54.jpg

P.S. I've never seen this on a book post "63. I have noticed rough cut (jagged) right edges on many books into 1966, although this seems to be something different from the chipping....although still an example of poor QA from the time period.

Here's the JIM 62. I was thinking about what you said about white cover books and chipping. Chipping is common on FF 1 , but I can't recall white books having the "pre-marvel" tears that are exhibited on these two pre heros and many others from the time period. Maybe the darker inks add enough thickness to the cover stock to prevent full scale chipping in some cases, as it appears to do on these two examples. When I worked at a few print shops in the 80's, our publications were sheared in thick stacks for the final cut. Is this how it is with comics also? GOD BLESS...

JIM62-1.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Given more experience with Marvel Chipping through the last few years, I've since changed my opinion. I believe it to be a problem when the books were trimmed by either dull blades or by some method they were using during this period in time.

I think it's entirely possible they were using a particular piece of equipment for a portion of the print runs during the era known for Marvel Chipping. This piece of equipment would probably have been an older piece that was being phased out and not worth the expense to repair, and was used to satisfy production as needed. My guess is that the point at which the chipping stopped is when that piece of equipment finally bit the bullet.

Anyway, those are my current thoughts on the whole topic.

That is a water or blanket wash drip from when they were starting the press.

It gets on the paper and prevents the ink from sticking to it.

Production related.

I knew Dice would know the answer to this! :applause: (thumbs u

definatly a drip, more than likely on the image roller and not the paper. the plates don't touch the paper, they tranfer the ink to the image roller and the image roller makes contact with the actual paper, in this case it appears a solvent was dripped onto the image roller as this cover went through. after a few rotations its back to normal.

In this case it was a drip on the plate because Adventure 373 was printed on a letter press.

The plate is in reverse image and prints directly to the paper.

There were no rollers or blankets to transfer ink to the paper in this particular case.

In this case it was a drip on the plate because Adventure 373 was printed on a letter press.

The plate is in reverse image and prints directly to the paper.

There were no rollers or blankets to transfer ink to the paper in this particular case.

:applause: PREMATURE TOTAL NEWBIFICATION :applause:

Hello! I was thrilled to find this board a few days ago and have reading as much as I can non-stop since then. I used to collect about 20 years ago, then I got married and the comics stayed in boxes for years. The ex-wife tried to get rid of them many times over the years, but I never gave in. Now I've been going through them and found some decent stuff. My plan is to sell off some of the lesser valued comics first to generate some money so I can afford to send some of the better books to CGC for slabbing. The last time I looked at my comics slabbing didn't even exist yet, but it seems to be the way to go nowadays if you want to sell any decent comics. I thought I would use this thread to ask a question about one of my better books.

My Journey Into Mystery 85 has production creases on the front and back covers which continue very slightly until page 3 on the front and on the back gradually diminish throughout the last 10 pages of the book. The seam still has printing color in it so was either done after printing or wasn't deep enough to affect printing. The whole book looks as though it wasn't bound quite right because the front half of the book isn't completely square with the second half as can be seen in the scan. The spine is still pretty tight, so it doesn't appear as if it was thrown off square by rolling. How much do defects like these affect the overall grade?

33uwvx5.jpg[/img]

2dwf9e1.jpg

Edited by blzbub666

I am so glad I ventured into this thread.

I recently purchased 2 ASM 300s and one had a jagged cut on the cover and the other didn't.

I was afraid that the one with the jagged cut was a poorly trimmed book and would result in being graded poorly.

The only book I have personal experience with was a Spidey 121. Grade should have been 9.4/9.6 not counting the holes. IIRC, it was given like an 8.5. That's been years and years ago, so I might be off on the grade a step one way or the other. It may have been 8.0.

I don't recall the exact grade, but I do remember being astonished at how hard they dinged the grade for the pin holes.

when i first began collecting back in the mid-70's, i actually spotted a charlton book on the newsstand with staples on the RIGHT side of the book--making it un-openable!!! the funniest comic production flaw of all time perhaps?

Hi, new member here, reading lots of old postings, hence a comment on 2+ year old post...

In my early years of collecting, the best place for comics (due to comprehensiveness of titles stocked) was unfortunately owned and run by... well lets just say it was not shopper-friendly place. Determined not to have any annoying browsers, this guy would staple the center right side of magazines so you could not open them. I don't recall that the practice extended into the comics (although god forbid you were spotted flipping through one) but I hate to think about how many of my Marvel b/w mags from the early 70s have those staple holes.

Sorry to dig this up from the grave but it was the most applicable....

I have a Strange Tales I sent to CGC and now I am worrying about a flaw and not sure if it's production. On every page at the bottom left corner there is a little hole. They all match perfectly and there is no other defect in the book such as cuts tear, creases ect... I was hoping a high grade on it but that if this is truly a flaw. Any help would be appreciated!