• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Hi! I would welcome everyones opinion regarding the impact of a miswrapped cover on the grading of an otherwise high grade(9.4 to 9.6) book. How much overwrap on the spine is acceptable before it would affect the grade of the book, if the miswrap is uniform from top to bottom of the spine, and doesn't cause any misalignment of the cover? Thanks to all!

Hi, well to be honest with you I think there are quite a few people who think a badly miswrapped book should not be allowed in 9.6(moreso in 9.8) type books.

But I think CGC will just downgrade for the physical flaws present and not the quality of production.

Great! I figured it would be a bigger deal to the collecting community than to CGC. Still, if a miswrapped book grades high, but is not really considered a true high grade book by many, it would probably be less desirable, and bring less of a price, if it were to be sold, right?. Any other thoughts out there?

Great! I figured it would be a bigger deal to the collecting community than to CGC. Still, if a miswrapped book grades high, but is not really considered a true high grade book by many, it would probably be less desirable, and bring less of a price, if it were to be sold, right?. Any other thoughts out there?

That is generally correct, price goes down when demand lessens. However, when selling a comic, you only need ONE buyer. :grin:

Didn't know what topic would be the best place to ask this question, but since I see a lot of resident experts on this string, here goes - why is this Planet #66 bigger than the rest - both before and after? I bought it at the Big Apple Con off a reputable dealer, so I don't suspect trimming. Did they decide first to enlarge the format and then returned to the smaller size? Anyone?

planets.jpg

This is #66 - notice it's wider then the rest.

Probably just a format change for one issue. Possibly to get rid of a particular size of paper they managed to get a deal on. You might want to ask in the Golden Age forum.

I don't know why that particular issue is larger, but I've seen a similar thing in another title. The Australian run of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories had about five issues in 1950 that were significantly larger than the earlier or later ones. As a result, they are harder to find in middle to higher grades, because they tended to stick out of piles and get beaten up more. I'd expect that to be true of the outsize Planet Comics as well.

This isn't really a flaw, but I'm curious about coloring that spills over into the black area of a frame.

I've always assumed it was the colorist brushing into the black to save time, since such a thing would go pretty much unnoticed. After reading this thread however, I wonder if it is the color plate being overcut, both to save time and reduce difficulty.

That's called a "trap". Where colors overlap because if they did not, there would be white areas between the color and the black.

The press can not hold perfect registration, therefore the colors are overlapped a little to keep a registration variance from *looking* like there is a registration variance.

In areas as you're describing, those were done that way because it saved time, and because it was assumed the black would cover it up. If the black strike was weak, you'd see the sloppiness underneath. The stronger the density of the black, the less obvious it would be.

The problem was at the separator/prepress house. The "colorist" didn't actually do anything that directly resulted in the end product. They took a black and white xerox and colored it with dyes. That told the separator/prepress house what colors to put on the plates behind the black and white artwork.

Hi; hi.gif I got another little manafacturing error that I have been wandering about for a while. I have two comics a Defenders 50 and a Marvel Tales 82 and I did have a Peter Parker 7 that all have two sets of staples in other words two at the top and two at the bottom what I found strange about this is that one set of staples is inside the cover and the other set holds the cover on and all three of these comics are like that. It is like the comic was stapled together without the cover and then they sent it back through and stapled a cover over it confused-smiley-013.gif did this ever happen ???

Cosmic,

I asked DiceX the same question a few months ago. Here is his reply:

I received the book today.

It looks to me like it was a "hand bound reject".

I'll try to explain it...

A publisher requires a certain number of books to be produced.

During the bindery run, they have enough raw product to produce the run + a percentage predicted by the bindery allowed for waste.

Say the run is 100,000 books and the bindery expects 3% waste...They receive 103,000 books worth of raw product.

During the run there are books that jam up in the binder, or have odd flaws (untrimmed, unstapled, no cover, etc.).

Those books are stacked to the side until the end of the run.

When the raw product has been depleated, if the count doesn't add up to what the publisher ordered, they have to find a way to fill the order.

They go through the "reject" skid to find any books that can be salvaged. There is usually nothing wrong with them, they just have been produced incorrectly.

They take those books and piece together what they can.

These books are bound by hand, stitched (stapled) by hand, then hand trimmed on a flatbed cutter. Whatever they have to do on a book by book basis.

After "pulling rejects", if the order still has not been filled, they have to go back to press to run enough raw pieces to finish it off.

The book you sent looks like it was produced without a cover.

The body of the book had already been stapled, so a fresh cover was placed on the book and stitched onto the body. (The second set of staples)

The staples are done by hand, so that would explain why they were off centered.

There are no other staple holes in the cover, so it was definately a raw cover that was placed on the book.

Afterwards it was hand trimmed on a flatbed.

No doubt in my mind that the book left the factory this way.

I don't know if this book would have passed through CGC without a purple label, because I don't know if they would have been able to tell it was a factory error.

wink.gif

The following two WDCS comics, which I likely purchased at the same time in 1973 and likely were from the same production stack, unlike the one above both have four staples through the cover.

Copy 1

original.jpg

Copy 2

original.jpg

In this case my guesstimate is that the Mark Jeweler inserts were added after the end of the intial run as the one copy that still has an insert (I usually pulled them) only has two staples through the insert. Both copies also have similar production creases running near the 50 Happy Years that are hard to see in the scans.

I am curious how common something like this is and if anyone else has any other explanations or thoughts. I would have a hard time believing that the manufacturer would go to this kind of manual work for more than a few books to save having to make another run. :)

Looking at the books in your post, I would guess the insert was added after the fact only because there was a problem in production. Such as there was a mix up, where they ran off all the books without the insert before they remembered that they were supposed to do some with it. This would be quite possible, and I'd bet it happened more than a few times.

I don't think it was normal to put in the insert like this. It should be put in with the same two stitches that hold the book together. Your books were definitely hand-jobs. :eek:

Also, the near identical cover wrap, color strike, and production wrinkle, lead me to believe these two books were produced very close together. Perhaps even consecutive issues. Very cool to have in your collection. :applause:

Yeah. The wire comes in different colors. Silver, Gold, Bronze, hell I've even seen blue and yellow.

It's not uncommon for different colored wire to be on different machines.

Are you guys saying those print holes and the wrap line would not count against you at CGC? Damn, I dumped a perfect ASM 62 with that funny wrap line on it... I know of a ASM 69 that is perfect with a wrap line on it, I should buy it...its perfect and would grade 9.6 if the wrap line is not considered a defect by CGC.