• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

I'm a --I haven't bid on anything on Heritage in a few years and typed in a bid for something that was what I wanted to pay with the premium factored in, which of course will get the premium tacked onto it...so I might win something for a fairly high price. :frustrated:

:eek: Well seeing all these bid retractions happening, i'm sure you can do the same :insane:

Ok so now here we are 1 day before the auction end.

I've been thinking a lot about the original Poll question that started this thread.

And the correct answer to the Poll actually is imho:

"Tops only happen when you have a failed auction"

All the way back to the Tulip and South Sea bubbles there is the same pattern. Every bubble ends when the money for it runs out and there is a failed auction. When speculation about future appreciation fails, everyone's psychology changes to 'sell' all at once. Like, failed internet IPO's auctions in 2000 (homegrocer.com etc) housing flips failed to sell at auction in 2007-8 and on and on.

So if this auction fails tomorrow, it looks like the end. But, if not, party on!

Ok so now here we are 1 day before the auction end.

I've been thinking a lot about the original Poll question that started this thread.

And the correct answer to the Poll actually is imho:

"Tops only happen when you have a failed auction"

All the way back to the Tulip and South Sea bubbles there is the same pattern. Every bubble ends when the money for it runs out and there is a failed auction. When speculation about future appreciation fails, everyone's psychology changes to 'sell' all at once. Like, failed internet IPO's auctions in 2000 (homegrocer.com etc) housing flips failed to sell at auction in 2007-8 and on and on.

So if this auction fails tomorrow, it looks like the end. But, if not, party on!

....one thing to remember with material of this nature, there will be no flood of material if market confidence erodes....items from this period at this level of preservation are still VERY scarce. On the other hand....I doubt there are many more of these types of collections that were assembled years ago, for pennies on the dollar. Most are acquisitions at top dollar.....with significant vested interest. The motivation to sell under those circumstances may be higher....mileage may vary. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm a --I haven't bid on anything on Heritage in a few years and typed in a bid for something that was what I wanted to pay with the premium factored in, which of course will get the premium tacked onto it...so I might win something for a fairly high price. :frustrated:

:eek: Well seeing all these bid retractions happening, i'm sure you can do the same :insane:

:)

I'm really liking the JIM #84 CGC 9.4 - one of only 3 9.4 copies, no 9.6's and one of the single toughest SA Marvel to find in grade next to TTA #2735.

Fixed that for ya. TTA 35 is tougher. Anyone see the bidding on the 9.2 Circle 8 copy (even with C-OW pages)?

I'm amazed (and at the same time not amazed) that there are 3 copies of #84 in 9.4.

I thought about adding TTA #35 to the list but I've seen more of those in high grade than JIM #84 in the past few years.

I've owned a 9.0 and a 9.2 of TTA #35.

I'd never seen a copy of JIM #84 higher than 8.5 until recently.

The census shows an interesting tale

TTA #35 has 1 in 9.6, none in 9.4, 3 in 9.2 and 5 in 9.0 - 9 copies in 9.0 and above

JIM #84 has none in 9.6, 3 in 9.4, none in 9.2 (except for my sig series copy which is a Yellow label) and 3 in 9.0 - 7 copies in 9.0 and above

Both are tough depending on how you view them.

I meant that TTA 35 is tougher than TTA 27.

While there may be a bunch of 9.2 and 9.0 copies of TTA 35, in the eyes of some high grade collectors :whistle: those are irrelevant.

I know Doug really coveted a 9.4 or better copy, so the fact that he couldn`t conjure one up and only Brulato`s Western Penn copy to this day remains above 9.2 shows how hard it is to find in grade. I think TTA 35 and Hulk 1 may be the only SA Marvels where there is only one copy in 9.4 or better? I thought JIM 84 was the other, but now I`m seeing 3 copies on the Census, which is kind of mindblowing.

I'm really liking the JIM #84 CGC 9.4 - one of only 3 9.4 copies, no 9.6's and one of the single toughest SA Marvel to find in grade next to TTA #2735.

Fixed that for ya. TTA 35 is tougher. Anyone see the bidding on the 9.2 Circle 8 copy (even with C-OW pages)?

I'm amazed (and at the same time not amazed) that there are 3 copies of #84 in 9.4.

Begone, DC Lover..... :baiting: GOD BLESS....

I collected Marvels for decades. Then I got tired of playing T-ball. :baiting:

I wouldn't be so sure there are 3 JIM 84s in 9.4. Doug's was resubmitted at least twice, and I wouldn't count on the old label having twice been returned.

If that`s true, then that is incredibly dumb on Doug`s part. 1 9.4 copy in the Census with nothing higher looks a whole lot more impressive than 3 9.4 copies.

I wouldn't be so sure there are 3 JIM 84s in 9.4. Doug's was resubmitted at least twice, and I wouldn't count on the old label having twice been returned.

If that`s true, then that is incredibly dumb on Doug`s part. 1 9.4 copy in the Census with nothing higher looks a whole lot more impressive than 3 9.4 copies.

I'm sure Brulato has a copy - I remember seeing 2 for the longest time. Also I'm not so sure Doug would be so shortsighted as to throw a label in the garbage.

Begone, DC Lover..... :baiting: GOD BLESS....

I collected Marvels for decades. Then I got tired of playing T-ball. :baiting:

OUCH.......My flanks are sizzling. Actually, I love me some D.C. too. No collection is complete without a MIS 90 in nice shape. I have a weakness for Wayne Boring Superman books form the 50's but I don't have the problem of affording NM's.......there aren't any lol GOD BLESS....

Won't be long before I see if I have to overpay for the item I mistakenly bid too much on last night. At least it's a super-rare issue in grade and my bid is just over half of the only other GPA record of its sale--but that last sale was such an insane amount that it only makes me feel very, very slightly better. :eek: I think that's the first time I've mistakenly overbid on something on ANY auction site--I'm kicking myself for that kind of mistake. Good thing the mistake wasn't an extra zero on the end of a number or something. :blush:

Won't be long before I see if I have to overpay for the item I mistakenly bid too much on last night. At least it's a super-rare issue in grade and my bid is just over half of the only other GPA record of its sale--but that last sale was such an insane amount that it only makes me feel very, very slightly better. :eek: I think that's the first time I've mistakenly overbid on something on ANY auction site--I'm kicking myself for that kind of mistake. Good thing the mistake wasn't an extra zero on the end of a number or something. :blush:

If it's what I think it is.....time will bail you out. I'd hope to win if I were you.....GOD BLESS....

If it's what I think it is.....time will bail you out. I'd hope to win if I were you.....GOD BLESS....

It went for double my accidental bid amount. :eek: My mistaken bid was on the FF #31 CGC 9.6, and it ended up selling for around $9K. Tough issue in grade. I was high on the #34 also, but I knew I'd lose that one.

I'm pitching a shutout so far, which is what I was hoping for, as I'm still saving for a nice AF15.

It went for double my accidental bid amount. :eek: My mistaken bid was on the FF #31 CGC 9.6, and it ended up selling for around $9K. Tough issue in grade. I was high on the #34 also, but I knew I'd lose that one.

I'm pitching a shutout so far, which is what I was hoping for, as I'm still saving for a nice AF15.

...that must mean Brulato only had a 9.4.....GOD BLESS...

...that must mean Brulato only had a 9.4.....GOD BLESS...

Well the Curator 9.8 sold earlier this year, as well as another 9.6, so he had a crack at both of those--I bet he won at least one of them. With two new copies of this book on the market within just a year, I'm expecting more to hit--which is why established prices at the nosebleed level are too volatile to predict. I'm not so sure time will be as kind to a book like this as you suggested--in fact, I'm betting it won't. I could easily end up being wrong, particularly on this specific issue.

FF --

The #31 price was a bit nuts...you're happy you didn't win it. I got a 9.4 for too much money recently and am happy to be done with that.

And speaking of too-high bids, I did almost exactly the same thing you did and won a book for stupid money.

Yay... :facepalm:

Dan