• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Yep. Some folks around here are so quick to beat a guy when he's down. Or wish the worst for somebody. I say congrats to Doug for the sale and good luck to him in whatever he decides to do in the future.

For all those who seem to be so obsessed by taxes, I say who cares? What business is it of yours?

Wholeheartedly agree Tim...

...but your whistleblower suggestion was a little low.

It was a joke. :gossip:

i read it as a joke, but also figured it sent about a dozen crusaders to the irs website looking for a way to execute the suggestion.

I thought it might be. But some dumbarse here might take it seriously.

Yeah, these boards are full of Schmell haters.

Yeah, these boards are full of Schmell haters.

and he's laughing at them all the way to the bank (shrug)

There's nothing to blow the whistle on. The IRS isn't going to keep track of someone's sale in hopes that they don't pay taxes later. There's no obligation yet that he could even have missed. The earliest would be a quarterly filing in September.

But I alerted immigration and homeland security, just in case Tim tries to sneak back into the country.

There's nothing to blow the whistle on. The IRS isn't going to keep track of someone's sale in hopes that they don't pay taxes later. There's no obligation yet that he could even have missed. The earliest would be a quarterly filing in September.

But I alerted immigration and homeland security, just in case Tim tries to sneak back into the country.

hahahahahahahahaha

He's one of us, despite his cavalier dismissal of the Marvel collector. :cry:

;)

He's one of us, despite his cavalier dismissal of the Marvel collector. :cry:

;)

i guess he is; i have to at least pretend i think so until he offers me that cmj 2 vancouver book.

why does he even want that book---it's an odd duck [heehee] in his collection.

To answer the original question with added benefit of the sales prices, yes, this is the top for the SA Marvel market.

In fact, for some books, Doug bought at the top and sold at a loss (see the sweet Avengers 57 that Sufunk picked up for a fraction of what Doug paid for it).

2c

To answer the original question with added benefit of the sales prices, yes, this is the top for the SA Marvel market.

That is an incredibly broad, sweeping statement that has been made many, many times before. To date, it hasn't been right about an ENTIRE market, although certainly certain parts of them have slid in the past. Many Gold titles fell years ago, but you can't say the entire Gold market has.

That is an incredibly broad, sweeping statement that has been made many, many times before. To date, it hasn't been right about an ENTIRE market, although certainly certain parts of them have slid in the past. Many Gold titles fell years ago, but you can't say the entire Gold market has.

My statement could never really be proven true (only false), but we'll see what happens to these books when/if they re-appear on the market. The key books will hold their own, but I doubt it for the other 95% of this collection. (shrug)

My statement could never really be proven true (only false), but we'll see what happens to these books when/if they re-appear on the market. The key books will hold their own, but I doubt it for the other 95% of this collection. (shrug)

Mike I obviously have a bias as I am one of those :insane: dum es that have been know to pay a little more for pedigree books. I think the fact that a large number of the books were Peds, and many from the Pac Coast may insulate them a bit. That said, a lot of the generic books in the run were aggressively bought and, as we have seen with the Twin Cities and Rocky's many will make their way back into circulation.

My opinion on Mr. Schmell is already documented so no need to regress, but he was savvy to hold a lot of the Pac Coast Collection for as long as he did as as to almost freshen it to market.

I'm VERY intested to see how many of these books went to collectors like me as keepers and how many will be on dealers websites for outrageous prices in a month hm

There were a TON of Avengers that "only" went for $1000-1500 that were bought by Doug in bidding wars in 2007-2009 for like $3500-4500. I would bet that a LOT of those will very soon be on dealers sites for $2500-3000. I could be wrong but if I'm not, those dealers are going to be waiting a LONG time before ANYONE even considers buying them at the prices they'll have them listed for. I can't wait to see how many actually were bought by dealers but again, I have a sneaking suspicion that a good number of at least the Avengers ended up in dealers hands.

hey for the finders fee of 20% or whatever it is? haha I bet a lot of people would do it...

Doug may make a lot on this, but I would imagine he's got huge expenses too on his schedule C... :whistle:

p.s. i don't know joeypost, either, and have no idea as to how good he is at his job.

You should make an effort to meet Joe in Chicago, you are both kind people with a similar and great sense of humor...and I think you'd enjoy each other's company.