• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

To answer the original question with added benefit of the sales prices, yes, this is the top for the SA Marvel market.

In fact, for some books, Doug bought at the top and sold at a loss (see the sweet Avengers 57 that Sufunk picked up for a fraction of what Doug paid for it).

2c

I really think that's a bad example. When Doug originally bought the RM 9.8 Avengers 57 there were two HUGE factors at play that aren't in play now. First, in 2009, the RM 57 was the ONLY 9.8 in existence. Couple that with there were at least two BSDs ducking it out to have the top registry set and that led to the unreal $28,000 sale.

Now, there are 6 9.8's out there and as far as I know, there's no one at the moment trying to put together a Avengers top registry set. There's a bunch of guys like me that like the book and want them but only at the right price. I don't HAVE to have any certain 9.6-9.8 Avengers to try and take over the #1 spot. I know I'm NEVER going to get top registry so there's no point in getting into a bidding war and paying two to three times what a books worth just to keep the #2 guy from getting it. As far as I can tell, right now there's no one collecting Avengers desperately trying to win top registry.

That and the fact 5 more 9.8's have come to light is why the 57 went for 1/3 the 2009 price IMO and doesn't really have any bearing on how strong or weak the SA market might be right now (shrug)

To answer the original question with added benefit of the sales prices, yes, this is the top for the SA Marvel market.

In fact, for some books, Doug bought at the top and sold at a loss (see the sweet Avengers 57 that Sufunk picked up for a fraction of what Doug paid for it).

2c

I really think that's a bad example. When Doug originally bought the RM 9.8 Avengers 57 there were two HUGE factors at play that aren't in play now. First, in 2009, the RM 57 was the ONLY 9.8 in existence. Couple that with there were at least two BSDs ducking it out to have the top registry set and that led to the unreal $28,000 sale.

Now, there are 6 9.8's out there and as far as I know, there's no one at the moment trying to put together a Avengers top registry set. There's a bunch of guys like me that like the book and want them but only at the right price. I don't HAVE to have any certain 9.6-9.8 Avengers to try and take over the #1 spot. I know I'm NEVER going to get top registry so there's no point in getting into a bidding war and paying two to three times what a books worth just to keep the #2 guy from getting it. As far as I can tell, right now there's no one collecting Avengers desperately trying to win top registry.

That and the fact 5 more 9.8's have come to light is why the 57 went for 1/3 the 2009 price IMO and doesn't really have any bearing on how strong or weak the SA market might be right now (shrug)

It's not a bad example because Avengers 57 isn't an anomaly. The main reason this might be the top is that populations are rising significantly across all issues and all titles and devaluing most nosebleed prices paid in past years. I would be surprised if you ever see Avengers 57 in 9.8 going for $28K again, and once the populations rise even more, the total he got yesterday could easily look like a bubble price.

I'm VERY intested to see how many of these books went to collectors like me as keepers and how many will be on dealers websites for outrageous prices in a month hm

There were a TON of Avengers that "only" went for $1000-1500 that were bought by Doug in bidding wars in 2007-2009 for like $3500-4500. I would bet that a LOT of those will very soon be on dealers sites for $2500-3000. I could be wrong but if I'm not, those dealers are going to be waiting a LONG time before ANYONE even considers buying them at the prices they'll have them listed for. I can't wait to see how many actually were bought by dealers but again, I have a sneaking suspicion that a good number of at least the Avengers ended up in dealers hands.

For the Avengers books he took a loss on, do you think it was a case of more 9.6's/9.8's popping up (like the sweet 57 you picked up which was a one-of-a-kind 3 years ago but is now 1 of 6 in 9.8), or was it a case of one less uber-HG collector (Doug) out of the bidding?

2c

I guess you just answered my question, it's both an increased supply (1 copy then vs. 6 now), and a decreased demand (no Doug bidding).

Yep. Some folks around here are so quick to beat a guy when he's down. Or wish the worst for somebody. I say congrats to Doug for the sale and good luck to him in whatever he decides to do in the future.

......AMEN, Brother. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

2c

It's not a bad example because Avengers 57 isn't an anomaly. The main reason this might be the top is that populations are rising significantly across all issues and all titles and devaluing most nosebleed prices paid in past years. I would be surprised if you ever see Avengers 57 in 9.8 going for $28K again, and once the populations rise even more, the total he got yesterday could easily look like a bubble price.

Well, I'd agree and disagree with that.

I definitely think you're right and there will probably never be another 28k sale unless it's FAR into the future.

I could see it still being worth a decent amount more than I paid in the future. Yeah, more 9.8's will probably come to light but I don't think it's going to be like Hulk181 and there'll be 50 9.8's. Maybe 10 or so max I would guess. That's still a lot but if he is in the next movie and there's 1 or 2 more really successful Avengers movies, yesterday's price could still be a decent bargain from the price 5 years from now (shrug)

And yes I'm biased but I'm definitely not saying that because now in "invested"in it. Sure I'd like to see the value go up but odds are I will never sell that book no matter what so the value doesn't really matter to me. I wanted the book badly and that's what I was comfortable paying. If its worth less,even substantially, 5 years from now it honestly isn't going to bother me at all. I still think its a fairly key book based on the first appearance and the iconic cover so I can see the value going up even if more come to light. I certainly won't be surprised to see the value drop though either (shrug)

2c

I definitely think you're right and there will probably never be another 28k sale unless it's FAR into the future.

I could see it still being worth a decent amount more than I paid in the future. Yeah, more 9.8's will probably come to light but I don't think it's going to be like Hulk181 and there'll be 50 9.8's. Maybe 10 or so max I would guess. That's still a lot but if he is in the next movie and there's 1 or 2 more really successful Avengers movies, yesterday's price could still be a decent bargain from the price 5 years from now (shrug)

And yes I'm biased but I'm definitely not saying that because now in "invested"in it. Sure I'd like to see the value go up but odds are I will never sell that book no matter what so the value doesn't really matter to me. I wanted the book badly and that's what I was comfortable paying. If its worth less,even substantially, 5 years from now it honestly isn't going to bother me at all. I still think its a fairly key book based on the first appearance and the iconic cover so I can see the value going up even if more come to light. I certainly won't be surprised to see the value drop though either (shrug)

I applaud you for buying something because you want it for keeps and not worrying about what it will be worth in x years. Congrats on such an awesome book.

2c

Plus the Vision rules.

2c

Plus the Vision rules.

Right on brotha!!! :banana:

Although I think you and I are about the only two people in the world that feel that way! lol

2c

Plus the Vision rules.

Although I think you and I are about the only two people in the world that feel that way! lol

:whistle:

Avengers57NM-.jpg

2c

Plus the Vision rules.

Only two??? :sumo:

I'm VERY intested to see how many of these books went to collectors like me as keepers and how many will be on dealers websites for outrageous prices in a month hm

There were a TON of Avengers that "only" went for $1000-1500 that were bought by Doug in bidding wars in 2007-2009 for like $3500-4500. I would bet that a LOT of those will very soon be on dealers sites for $2500-3000. I could be wrong but if I'm not, those dealers are going to be waiting a LONG time before ANYONE even considers buying them at the prices they'll have them listed for. I can't wait to see how many actually were bought by dealers but again, I have a sneaking suspicion that a good number of at least the Avengers ended up in dealers hands.

For the Avengers books he took a loss on, do you think it was a case of more 9.6's/9.8's popping up (like the sweet 57 you picked up which was a one-of-a-kind 3 years ago but is now 1 of 6 in 9.8), or was it a case of one less uber-HG collector (Doug) out of the bidding?

It's more than just Doug not bidding. At the time of the Avengers craze, there were at least 4 big guns literally competing with each other (2 were forum members, one was a best selling author and one was Doug) for the best copy in a very short period of time. Money was not really a problem for them and each wanted the best at the time.

Books that were generally $400-800 books in 9.8 were fetching $3000-4000 just 3 years ago.

That's not a market top. That's an anomaly.

From what I've seen (and I realize there are exceptions) most of the books have just fallen down to what might be considered a reasonable number - meaning middle of the road values.

I could be wrong, but that is just my perception.

Roy don't forget to add that the inflated real estate values of 2005-2008 put a lot of "money" or spending power in everyone's pocket's so people would over spend on a regular basis. I remember the boards back then, you could sell anything half decent in a matter of minutes.

It's more than just Doug not bidding. At the time of the Avengers craze, there were at least 4 big guns literally competing with each other (2 were forum members, one was a best selling author and one was Doug) for the best copy in a very short period of time. Money was not really a problem for them and each wanted the best at the time.

Books that were generally $400-800 books in 9.8 were fetching $3000-4000 just 3 years ago.

That's not a market top. That's an anomaly.

From what I've seen (and I realize there are exceptions) most of the books have just fallen down to what might be considered a reasonable number - meaning middle of the road values.

I could be wrong, but that is just my perception.

I'd agree with that. All it really takes is for 1 person to drop out and instead of a book going for $4000, it could go for $400. Say two BSD's were battling for top spot a few years ago when a single highest graded like Avengers 60 goes to auction. Theres those two who will pay HUGE money and a bunch of schmucks like me who would pay like $400-500. Those two can drive it up to $4000 easily(and looking at gpa, they did on a lot of issues!). Take either BSD out and its just the 1 BSD bidding against me. When i bow out at $500, the books is theres end of story.

I dont think yesterdays Avengers prices has anything to do with how strong or weak the market is right now. There just werent 2 BSD's, or even 1 apparently, willing to bid up the books like there were in 2009. Who knows, in 2,3,5 years maybe 2 new BSD's will come along and do the same thing again and pay those crazy prices. Even if that happens though, it wont mean the Avengers market is strong, just two guys battling for top registry and have the means to pay whatever it takes (shrug)

Oops, I forgot you won that book when I posted. :blush: I definitely would have done what you did on that book as I always do on books I love, and as you suggested, there's a great possibility of growth, particularly given that it's a semi-key. Desirable keys with populations that aren't far too great are almost always decent buys, except perhaps when they were parts of warehouse finds (like FF 48).

2c

Plus the Vision rules.

Only two??? :sumo:

I concur, I love that book and really like the character.

Yep. Some folks around here are so quick to beat a guy when he's down. Or wish the worst for somebody. I say congrats to Doug for the sale and good luck to him in whatever he decides to do in the future.

+1

+1

If Doug's situation is down, I would love to be down with him (thumbs u