• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

Barth is that a finger print smudge on the top of the left corner on the front cover?

How the hell did you see that. I know it's there and I still can't see it straight on.

:acclaim:

I came in 5th in March madness 2015

Barth is that a finger print smudge on the top of the left corner on the front cover?

How the hell did you see that. I know it's there and I still can't see it straight on.

:acclaim:

I came in 5th in March madness 2015

This year you will have a target on your back, :sumo:

:bump: :shrug:

:news:

UPDATED OFFERS

Ship to the US for free, I'll cover 50% of international shipping costs

OFFER #1 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300

scan0001_zpszz1iwuvw.jpg

scan0002_zpsrkoowwvh.jpg

OFFER #2 - KEYS & SEMI-KEYS - PICK 3!

Wolverine 1-4

20160225_202255-1_zpslfswcofi.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #55

scan0010_zpsiil2wnjd.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #194

scan0004_zps2jdn4kkp.jpg

AVENGERS #54 - cover detached and beat up

scan0006_zpsvncf38h2.jpg

SPIDER-WOMAN #1

scan0008_zps9gxrfgkc.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #266

scan0003_zps7oyeaqfq.jpg

BATMAN #1 (2011 - 1st print)

20151223_202642_zpswpeqnkbk.jpg

OMEGA MEN #3

20151223_202735_zpshknkzo7n.jpg

ALL-STAR COMICS #58

scan0007_zpskutyloab.jpg

DC SUPER-STARS #17 - creased all the way through the book

scan0005_zpsevuaxnnk.jpg

MARVEL PREMIERE #31 - WOODGOD!

scan0009_zpsu6miejwr.jpg

It is a good offer Barth and whether it is claimed or not, it is NOT a JD offer. If I had not just bought a copy of that Gambit last week in a sales thread you would be sending it too me right now. Dang it!

I think a lot of people were scared off by all the criticism leveled at some. It's becoming harder and harder appease the critics when they feel your offers are not acceptable according to their values. The current offer by Barth is great, but I think a lot of people are reluctant to take anything for fear that they don't measure up to the expectations of the peanut gallery. Being generous is admirable, but giving until it hurts is another thing. Yes, you should give as good as you get, but it doesn't have to be a supreme sacrifice.

True, which is why again I think the thread either needs to be locked OR at the very least, have a several month moratorium so that it can be restarted later without all of the strong feelings and fear of participating. A new start so to speak.

We have had a few people on here (JD's) try to excuse their behavior or offer advice under the guise of actually caring about the thread. I hope Barth doesn't mind me telling this story but he was once years ago lumped into the JD category. The big difference is that he honestly did not realize his offers were not up to par. He immediately apologized to the thread and took a break from it as he did not want to have a bad reputation. When he did claim something his offers from that point forward were on par as far as I can remember.

He even took it a step further and took the Kraven figure that was part of the joke against him and tried to turn it into a positive and created the Travels of Kraven thread.

I thought how he handled it was admirable considering he got piled on at the time. Some other people in this thread could learn something from him and the example he set.

I think a lot of people were scared off by all the criticism leveled at some. It's becoming harder and harder appease the critics when they feel your offers are not acceptable according to their values. The current offer by Barth is great, but I think a lot of people are reluctant to take anything for fear that they don't measure up to the expectations of the peanut gallery. Being generous is admirable, but giving until it hurts is another thing. Yes, you should give as good as you get, but it doesn't have to be a supreme sacrifice.

This is exactly correct.

I agree a lot of people are "in fear" of participating. They don't want to get labeled negatively, because an offer that they think is fair and acceptable is judged not up to par by someone else.

I am certain there are probably members who do try to scam the system and get a great deal while offering up junk. That is unfortunate and I don't know if there are any set of rules that will ever eliminate this. Community policing is perhaps the only choice, however, that too seems to have its limitations.

As for your statement that you should give as good as you get. That is true, but difficult to achieve. Please follow the logic....

Person A takes something and must now offer something up that is greater than or equal to the "perceived value" of what they took. Since they probably cannot match that "perceived value" exactly, their only choice is to offer something a little better than what they received. Sounds good, so far.

Person B then takes Person A's offer and has to do the same thing, and the value must go up (at least a little) again.

This continues on and on, with each person having to do just a little bit better. Where does it end? When someone offers up the Mile High copy of Action Comics #1.

I don't have the answers. I have never taken anything from this thread and it is likely I never will. I enjoy watching it, because I enjoy seeing the generosity of many of the fantastic members on this board.

I hope this thread does not go away. I hope people continue to bless one another with their spirit of generosity.

Criticism isn't just given, it's earned. There are a few that deserve it based on their actions.

The offer is great. Maybe people that want it just don't want to trade equal value for it. But you're not going to convince me that there is a ready and able participant that is drooling over that offer but are cowering in fear in a corner :shy: because people were critical of some who were obviously trying to game the thread. :eyeroll:

Criticism isn't just given, it's earned. There are a few that deserve it based on their actions.

The offer is great. Maybe people that want it just don't want to trade equal value for it. But you're not going to convince me that there is a ready and able participant that is drooling over that offer but are cowering in fear in a corner :shy: because people were critical of some who were obviously trying to game the thread. :eyeroll:

It just takes a good follow-up offer. And some more Golden Age, or unusual and interesting stuff, not necessarily "keys", please. :D

It’s not obviously the criticism being the problem, more than often it’s just how it's worded, or attitudes, or a mixture of the two (and I am saying it for both the groups of involved parties when such discussions arise).

^^

Anyone that is too afraid to claim this awesome offer because they think their follow-up will be criticized shouldn't be trying to claim this awesome offer. :makepoint:

This is exactly correct.

Not sure if this is a Canadian thing, but I agree with these sentiments. I was interested in the Walking Dead lot. I got out my raws and slabs. I started putting together offers. Then, I went back and read through this thread again. Next, I decided it was not worth it and put my books away. I am not a scammer. I am not a bad person. I am not here to game the system. However, I am someone who felt the potential (whatever degree) of getting ripped made it not worth claiming and offering.

Well, probably one should not also be so sensitive when receiving the criticism, even if often worded in unhappy ways… One knows he can expect it, so personally I think he should just not care if he believes his follow-up offers are enough interesting and of quality compared to what he took. :)

:news:

UPDATED OFFERS

Ship to the US for free, I'll cover 50% of international shipping costs

OFFER #1 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300

scan0001_zpszz1iwuvw.jpg

scan0002_zpsrkoowwvh.jpg

OFFER #2 - KEYS & SEMI-KEYS - PICK 3!

Wolverine 1-4

20160225_202255-1_zpslfswcofi.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #55

scan0010_zpsiil2wnjd.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #194