• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

....I'm probably injecting too much of myself into this ....but the convenience would appeal to me. Packing and shipping 7 books can be a chore for me....700 would be an enormous endeavor. I wonder if Doug is finished with collecting...? It was such a driving focus for him for so long. You would probably have a better grasp of all the psychology involved, as you've made a similar decision in the past. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I with Jimbo on this. I recently did about 20 sales all at once and I just hated packing all those books, major pain in the arse.

Yup. Some people think I'm into high dollar books because I'm an elitist, which is true, but also because I'm too lazy to deal with lots of small dollar books. My hat's off to people like Donut who are willing to handle and process a zillion books. I prefer to just deal with one book to make the same amount of cumulative profit--my margins might not be as high, but my sanity remains (relatively) intact.

Selling a big book every now and again is not work. Packing and shipping books 20.00 at a time is work and if you figure in the time spent it can be a low wage. You have to love it to do it.

....I'm probably injecting too much of myself into this ....but the convenience would appeal to me. Packing and shipping 7 books can be a chore for me....700 would be an enormous endeavor. I wonder if Doug is finished with collecting...? It was such a driving focus for him for so long. You would probably have a better grasp of all the psychology involved, as you've made a similar decision in the past. GOD BLESS...

I with Jimbo on this. I recently did about 20 sales all at once and I just hated packing all those books, major pain in the arse.

Yup. Some people think I'm into high dollar books because I'm an elitist, which is true, but also because I'm too lazy to deal with lots of small dollar books. My hat's off to people like Donut who are willing to handle and process a zillion books. I prefer to just deal with one book to make the same amount of cumulative profit--my margins might not be as high, but my sanity remains (relatively) intact.

Selling a big book every now and again is not work. Packing and shipping books 20.00 at a time is work and if you figure in the time spent it can be a low wage. You have to love it to do it.

....or need the money REAL bad for yet another book lol GOD BLESS....

I wonder when Doug is going to remove his books and sets from the registry...seems long enough now.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

It will occur, in dripfeed fashion if and when the new owners register the books.

Schmell's ego will prevent him from doing it regardless of the fact he does not own them anymore. (thumbs u

I wonder when Doug is going to remove his books and sets from the registry...seems long enough now.

It will occur, in dripfeed fashion if and when the new owners register the books.

Schmell's ego will prevent him from doing it regardless of the fact he does not own them anymore. (thumbs u

Maybe when he's been actually paid for the books? I don't think Heritage will settle until late September.

Also, if he chooses not to take the books down immediately, it's not necessarily ego. I like to keep up books that I've sold so that I have to be notified when someone wants to put a book in their registry. Kind of my lazy way of keeping track of where the books end up.

Maybe when he's been actually paid for the books? I don't think Heritage will settle until late September.

Also, if he chooses not to take the books down immediately, it's not necessarily ego. I like to keep up books that I've sold so that I have to be notified when someone wants to put a book in their registry. Kind of my lazy way of keeping track of where the books end up.

I kind of see your point.

Personally like Mark 1, I delete them as soon as I sell one i.e. the moment I have the cash.

When you think about it the registry and the census (with all the cpr etc) are totally unreliable in terms of measuring apparatus of any kind. :tonofbricks:

That is the one disadvantage comic books has compared to coins,baseball cards and video games. Coins,baseball cards and video games are much cheaper and easier to ship. Most can go First Class and are much easier to pack for shipping. The sandwich cardboard and bubblewrap routine gets tiresome after the thirdtime. :)

Personally like Mark 1, I delete them as soon as I sell one i.e. the moment I have the cash.

When you think about it the registry and the census (with all the cpr etc) are totally unreliable in terms of measuring apparatus of any kind. :tonofbricks:

I always try to do the same but have been slacking lately. Ill admit, i'm gonna be annoyed when my HA books get here and i cant even register them. I like to immediately register, scan and then file them so they dont start piling up.

That said, if i just got a HUGE stack of millions for selling a bunch of slabs, the last thing in the world i'd be worried about would be deleting them from the registry (thumbs u

I always try to do the same but have been slacking lately. Ill admit, i'm gonna be annoyed when my HA books get here and i cant even register them. I like to immediately register, scan and then file them so they dont start piling up.

That said, if i just got a HUGE stack of millions for selling a bunch of slabs, the last thing in the world i'd be worried about would be deleting them from the registry (thumbs u

Fair point.

Like winning the lottery then stressing about whether you remembered to pay the weekly newspaper bill.

Being in Doug's registry doesn't back up your pile. You register them, he gets sent an email, and if he doesn't remove them himself, they get removed automatically in a week or two, if memory serves. Or maybe Arch does it manually, I don't know how they set it up, I just know I didn't have to do anything after adding it to my set to get it to eventually show up. I've registered a few books in someone else's set, and the only issue which was a non-issue is that there was a delay in them actually showing up. I think I got an email once a book was cleared and assigned to my set.

Being in Doug's registry doesn't back up your pile. You register them, he gets sent an email, and if he doesn't remove them himself, they get removed automatically in a week or two, if memory serves. Or maybe Arch does it manually, I don't know how they set it up, I just know I didn't have to do anything after adding it to my set to get it to eventually show up. I've registered a few books in someone else's set, and the only issue which was a non-issue is that there was a delay in them actually showing up. I think I got an email once a book was cleared and assigned to my set.

For whatever reason, it definitely doesn't always work that way for me. Like 80% of the time, it does exactly what you say and when I look after a few days, the book is registered to me. There are definitely times though that even after a week or two, the book still isn't registered to me and I have to re enter the info and then presto, it's in my registry (shrug)

When I get the notification that someone wants to transfer the registration of a book to their registry, I accept it right away. I have no desire, or need, to get credit for owning books that I no longer own. I do, however, like to know who has acquired my books.

I never did receive a catelog for this auction, first time in years they missed sending me one. Even my email request appears to have fallen on deaf ears. :boo:

Huh?!? I'm telling everyone what a whale you are and you dont even get the HA catalog?!? :baiting::foryou:

On a side note, i finally got my Schmell books today :cloud9:

Now tonight, i get to be annoyed when i try to register them and they get rejected! :whee:

I did chuckle a little when i took out the Avengers 57 and it has a big green sticker on the bag that says "HIGH VALUE Handle with care". For the 1st time in my life, i got to live like one of the BSD's! :acclaim:

I am hardly a whale, just a minnow on these boards. Heritage has been good to me, probably a case where a postie decided to keep it. Usually the catelogs are sent in envelope's but because of their weight the envelope's are practically destroyed in transit and they have to be rebagged for support by the post office by the time I get it. I do plan on eventually getting my hands on this catelog though!

Good to see that you received your order as that would be one sweet parcel to unwrap. You should be showcasing that A#57 at the center of your collection.

I assume they gotta have a few extra laying around. if you call them or PM StevieB, i'd bet they will throw it in with the next catalog.

I always like saving the catalogs and ads and looking at them MUCH later down the road. I remember how INSANE i thought the prices were on some books in the 90's but looking back now, 5k for a VF/NM FF1 doesnt seem too bad! :facepalm:

I never did receive a catelog for this auction, first time in years they missed sending me one. Even my email request appears to have fallen on deaf ears. :boo:

BTW, there were three catalogs shipped for this auction. Besides the main big one, there was one just for Doug's books, and another I think was mostly art. I kept the big one and left the other two at my barber's. I figured that would be more interesting reading material there, than the People magazine etc.