• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

In my mind his Marvels would have been best sold over a 2-3 year period. Think of how many Avengers books Jason could have bid on that he did not win in this first auction and he is just one man. I am sure there are many others that operate on a budget and can only buy so many books each auction.

I remember being absolutely SHOCKED by prices paid for Avengers books back in 2009-2010. This was a title that was moribund while practically every other SA Marvel was making significant increases in price from 1999-2005. Heck, it was mostly a dead title even before that....and I mean, Daredevil-type dead.

Pun :)

Now that is fun!

On a side note, I did a sales thread with like 4 SA Avengers slabs from 9.2-9.8's like 6-8 weeks ago. All of them were UNDER gpa and not only did I not sell any, I didn't even get a single pm or offer! :cry:

And these were NICE copies! Granted, that's a SMALL sample size but again, not even a single pm or lowball offer. Not one! hm

I remember being absolutely SHOCKED by prices paid for Avengers books back in 2009-2010. This was a title that was moribund while practically every other SA Marvel was making significant increases in price from 1999-2005. Heck, it was mostly a dead title even before that....and I mean, Daredevil-type dead.

So, now that the movie hype had died down, and the big wallets have dropped out, I don't find it shocking that it resumes its place as a B-tier title. Granted, the movie has hopefully exposed new collectors to it, and increase in the property has increased overall, but let's be honest here, Ditko Spider-man and Kirby Fantastic Four it never was.

True but all of this has been distorted beyond belief. Most people are looking at ONE SINGLE gpa sale and thinking that's the FMV of a 9.8 Avengers book. Just because Doug, cheetah, or whoever else were willing to VASTLY overpay for a single highest graded copy of an issue 3-5 years ago doesn't mean that's the FMV of the book especially now that there are 2,3,4,5,6 or more 9.8 copies of those issues.

Actually, even GPA isn`t really indicative of the record prices, is it? Last I knew, GPA doesn`t include Comiclink results, and a lot of record-setting results, particularly for Rocky Mountains, were from Comiclink.

I'm here and it's rather sparsely attended. There's a nice spread of food though. :)

I've always found it rather surprising that nobody ever seems to show up at these Heritage events. Especially considering all of the free food and refreshments they seem to have for anybody that's willing to turn up.

Even right in the middle of the SD Con when they have over 100,000 hungry and thirsty comic book fans right on hand. I heard that not even 20 people bothered to show up for the big Signature auction when it was held there a few summers ago. ???

Well, have YOU gone to any of the auctions?

I'm here and it's rather sparsely attended. There's a nice spread of food though. :)

I've always found it rather surprising that nobody ever seems to show up at these Heritage events. Especially considering all of the free food and refreshments they seem to have for anybody that's willing to turn up.

Even right in the middle of the SD Con when they have over 100,000 hungry and thirsty comic book fans right on hand. I heard that not even 20 people bothered to show up for the big Signature auction when it was held there a few summers ago. ???

Wasn't it in Beverly Hills? thats a HELL of a long way for me to go to get some free food and refreshments!!! lol

Hey Tim, if you get a second can you log on to HA and go on my Avengers 57 and click the "make offer to owner" tab? when you do that, under the minimum offer box does it say "owner is actively seeking offers" on my Avengers 57?

Wasn't it in Beverly Hills? thats a HELL of a long way for me to go to get some free food and refreshments!!! lol

Hey Tim, if you get a second can you log on to HA and go on my Avengers 57 and click the "make offer to owner" tab? when you do that, under the minimum offer box does it say "owner is actively seeking offers" on my Avengers 57?

:o

I don't have a problem with them putting the little "make offer to owner" box for most of the books they sell. I do have a BIG problem with them adding that I am "actively seeking offers" :censored:

I assume hidden somewhere in their terms of service I signed it gives them the right to do this but it still pisses me off! I don't care what I checked off in the terms of service, it doesn't give them the right to just outright lie to peopele which is what they are doing if it says this!

I just spent the last two days saying how much I love this book and would never sell it since its my personal grail and next thing I know, people are talking about in threads and sending me pms asking why I am trying to sell it 1dayafter saying how I'd never sell it!!!

"The owner is actively considering offers"

You can change this feature (by individual book also if you want) by going into your profile.

Thanks man!

I just changed it to "not taking offers". Still annoys me that they have it default set to make it look like I was offering it for $12500 a freaking day after I bought it and said a bunch of times on here that I'd never sell it! meh

Of course not, as they've all been held thousands of miles away from where I live.

Now, if any of them were held within reasonable driving distance from me, you can bet that I would be down there with plate and fork ready to go! lol:takeit:

I think this is indicative of how thin the high end market is. For one does the 300,000 views being touted mean 300000 page views or 300000 unique users. If it is 300000 page views that is really small. Also you can tell most of these books had one or two bidders. I know the two I won had almost no bidders on them. One I won with one bid (the top bid being and internet bid that I beat) and the other I won with three bids but each time she had to drag it out of the bidder to bid on it.

Honestly, if Doug, Tom, and Cheetah are determining the market then that portion of the market is dysfunctional. I wonder if everyone stopped putting in thrill bids and below market bids on material for fun how low some of this stuff would go.

I wonder if everyone stopped putting in thrill bids and below market bids on material for fun how low some of this stuff would go.

I don`t think it would make very much difference at all. The only thing that matters in the end is what the top 2 legit bidders bid, not what everyone else does.

I tend to put tracking bids on every book I`m interested in monitoring, and bottom-fishing bids in books that I`d be interested in winning at the right price, and would say that my tracking bids affect the final bidding 0% of the time and my bottom-fishing bids affect the final bidding about 5% of the time (either as a winner or underbidder)

I think this is indicative of how thin the high end market is. For one does the 300,000 views being touted mean 300000 page views or 300000 unique users. If it is 300000 page views that is really small. Also you can tell most of these books had one or two bidders. I know the two I won had almost no bidders on them. One I won with one bid (the top bid being and internet bid that I beat) and the other I won with three bids but each time she had to drag it out of the bidder to bid on it.

I find your analysis that the lack of bids and bidders much more interesting then lower prices.

You would expect with the Avengers and Batman movie being blockbusters that sales would be thru the roof, instead there was lack of bidding and much lower sales.

. hm

Yeah I noticed a few books that had the strategic right below GPA pre-live auction bid not get a single bid because even a cut bid would have taken it above GPA. So was GPA the FMV or did everyone think his right below GPA bid was already too high.*

I don't have a problem with them putting the little "make offer to owner" box for most of the books they sell. I do have a BIG problem with them adding that I am "actively seeking offers" :censored:

I assume hidden somewhere in their terms of service I signed it gives them the right to do this but it still pisses me off! I don't care what I checked off in the terms of service, it doesn't give them the right to just outright lie to peopele which is what they are doing if it says this!

I just spent the last two days saying how much I love this book and would never sell it since its my personal grail and next thing I know, people are talking about in threads and sending me pms asking why I am trying to sell it 1dayafter saying how I'd never sell it!!!

......I'm getting ready to make a low ball thrill offer on it :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I find your analysis that the lack of bids and bidders much more interesting then lower prices.

You would expect with the Avengers and Batman movie being blockbusters that sales would be thru the roof, instead there was lack of bidding and much lower sales.

. hm

I think you are underestimating the effect there was due to just how unique and unprecedented this auction was. There has NEVER been another auction with this many HG books not to mention Pedigrees. Having them out there all at once severely limited probably most peoples bidding. Like someone else said, if these books had been spread out, i could have bid on MANY more Avengers books. heck, over the right time period, i probably would have bid on every single one of them that i dont already own a Pedigree 9.6-9.8. Also, because of the amount of books, i didnt bid on 1 single non Pedigree issue and a few went for what i would consider cheap. there were just too many Pedigrees i wanted to bid on any of those even if they were bargains.

Also, i am mainly focusing on Avengers at the moment but in any normal auction, i'll put in bids for probably 10-15 books from other titles that id like to get. This auction, i couldnt do that. I'm sure there were a LOT of people in the same boat as me. If he had split these books up into 6,8,10 different auctions, i think you would have seen at least 10-15% increases in the price on most of the books.

To make ANY determinations about the strength of the market or any particular title based on this VERY unique auction doesn't make a whole lot of sense imo.

I agree with you and I think that supports some of what I am talking about. He should have spread this out over two years to increase the pool of bidders. I know I bought two books but if it had been stretched over two years I would have owned 6-8 books instead of two.

I agree with you and I think that supports some of what I am talking about. He should have spread this out over two years to increase the pool of bidders. I know I bought two books but if it had been stretched over two years I would have owned 6-8 books instead of two.

doug was looking to cash out and retire; why would he spread it out over two years? $4mm in the hand is just as good as $4.5mm 2 years from now.