• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

They said the hobby was out of control when the dentist paid 25,000 for Action 1.

lol

Others disagree and hey, maybe I'm wrong. There's surely people here a hell of a lot smarter than me (shrug)

IMO though, given all the things it had working against it, the auction results showed our little hobby is pretty damn healthy! (worship)

Did anybody else notice the low prices on the VFish ToS 39s? There were 2 or 3 of 'em, and they all went less than I'd anticipated. An 8.0 with Stan's sig went for 9.5k, about 3k less than the last sale on GPA. Pretty surprising stuff. Somebody got a nice deal, no?

That's for sure. The good thing for us losers is that there are flippers and dealers and some of these books will be seen again real soon.

Yeah, like immediately. lol

I hope you guys are right cus there's definitely a few more that I really, REALLY wanted but just couldn't swing after winning the 57. I think the problems gonna be though that the flips are going to be sitting on sites or eBay with OBSCENE bin's for the time being. I'd love to see some of them back up for auction really soon but unless it's maybe a few that went for screaming deals, I don't think that's going to be happening much in the near future :cry:

They said the hobby was out of control when the dentist paid 25,000 for Action 1.

The hobby has been crashing every year since the 1960's from what I understand.

Having them out there all at once severely limited probably most peoples bidding. Like someone else said, if these books had been spread out, i could have bid on MANY more Avengers books. heck, over the right time period, i probably would have bid on every single one of them that i dont already own a Pedigree 9.6-9.8. Also, because of the amount of books, i didnt bid on 1 single non Pedigree issue and a few went for what i would consider cheap. there were just too many Pedigrees i wanted to bid on any of those even if they were bargains.

Couldn't agree more. I personally would have bid about ten of the FFs higher than what they went for, but I had to limit what I bid on so severely that I didn't even bid on those books. Also, what's up with Heritage holding auctions when 80% of the world is at work? That's the other reason I couldn't bid--if I could have bid live, I would have known that the books I did bid on but lost were no longer preventing me from bidding on others. :blush:

Is there an implicit understanding by Heritage that their bidders have unlimited funds and are dealers who would take a few days off from whatever day jobs they have? Not sure why else you put 10 million bucks worth of books for sale up during the middle of a weekday. (shrug)

This reminds me of when a younger colleague was freaking out the other day because she urgently needed to send a document to someone for signature and couldn't because email was down. I asked her "Have you tried faxing the pages to him?"

There are so many ways to bid on Heritage's auctions that don't require you to follow or bid in the live auctions. Due to the time difference, I've never bid during a Heritage live auction, except once when I had someone who was going to be at the auction put in some bids for me. And yet I've managed to win my fair share of auctions, without getting my face ripped off by shill bidders or punishment bidders.

I

Here is my take on the Heritage auctions...

Some books went for way above guide. However some books also seem to transcend the supposed guide.

Some of those books that went, say they were in a grade of a 6.5. A 6.5 may be a book that trades for '$' amount. How much does it go for without chipping or with white pages? ($ x 1.3) ?

All I know is I keep seeing books go higher than guide or the revered GPA. Then when I go to bid on them next time they are even higher in the SAME EXACT grade. Well who sets the GPA? Because every time I follow GPA I lose out on the books I want. Then they seem to be more expensive next time because they GPA has increased. It seems that the only ones that get certain books these days are those that decide to step up.

Three points:

I'm sure Doug was able to strike the best deal with the auction house by offering all of his remaining SA at once.

I doubt Heritage would have required that everything be auctioned at one time in order for Doug to get the best deal. The most important thing for Heritage would've been the commitment from Doug to auction the agreed books through Heritage. Whether that then translated into one single auction or spread out over several auctions, I doubt Heritage would've cared.

With the OA in this collection already in hand, it would've been an incredibly successful auction even if only 2 or 3 of Doug's runs had been included in this particular auction.

This reminds me of when a younger colleague was freaking out the other day because she urgently needed to send a document to someone for signature and couldn't because email was down. I asked her "Have you tried faxing the pages to him?"

There are so many ways to bid on Heritage's auctions that don't require you to follow or bid in the live auctions. Due to the time difference, I've never bid during a Heritage live auction, except once when I had someone who was going to be at the auction put in some bids for me. And yet I've managed to win my fair share of auctions, without getting my face ripped off by shill bidders or punishment bidders.

I

How so? I was the high bidder on around $10K worth of auctions going out of Internet bidding. I had to assume I might win all of that, so I couldn't throw another $20K to $40K of bids out there and just assume I'd only win some indeterminate fraction of those bids, which I knew was likely but had no way of knowing for sure. The only way I could have bid on all of the books I was interested in was to participate in the live auctions so I could bid on later books knowing that I had already been blown away on earlier books.

Three points:

I'm sure Doug was able to strike the best deal with the auction house by offering all of his remaining SA at once.

I doubt Heritage would have required that everything be auctioned at one time in order for Doug to get the best deal. The most important thing for Heritage would've been the commitment from Doug to auction the agreed books through Heritage. Whether that then translated into one single auction or spread out over several auctions, I doubt Heritage would've cared.

With the OA in this collection already in hand, it would've been an incredibly successful auction even if only 2 or 3 of Doug's runs had been included in this particular auction.

Agree--I don't know why Heritage would care how Doug spread the books out. (shrug)

The only way I could have bid on all of the books I was interested in was to participate in the live auctions so I could bid on later books knowing that I had already been blown away on earlier books.

Yes, but Tim doesn't concern himself with such petty things. Obviously, you are not an elitist with bags of money under your bed.

I

How so? I was the high bidder on around $10K worth of auctions going out of Internet bidding. I had to assume I might win all of that, so I couldn't throw another $20K to $40K of bids out there and just assume I'd only win some indeterminate fraction of those bids, which I knew was likely but had no way of knowing for sure. The only way I could have bid on all of the books I was interested in was to participate in the live auctions so I could bid on later books knowing that I had already been blown away on earlier books.

......it was a lot to keep track of....even if you're only in one title.....it was pretty much all out of my range and I was out of the running a couple days before Live.....having more of a breather between pre '65 and post '65 might have translated to a more substantial bottom line. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I guess its easy to say now but Doug would have been better off rolling these out in small batches every month on his website. I look at the TTA's and I'm betting he could have sold every one of them for more, in some cases a lot more.

That could very well be. But do you think he could would have realized the same prices on the bigger books like the X-Men #1?

I don't know the answer, I'm just wondering.

I guess its easy to say now but Doug would have been better off rolling these out in small batches every month on his website. I look at the TTA's and I'm betting he could have sold every one of them for more, in some cases a lot more.

That could very well be. But do you think he could would have realized the same prices on the bigger books like the X-Men #1?

Tough to say, but probably not. Nothing like the fenzy of an auction to drive unique books like that X Men into the stratosphere. However, he should have done this one run at a time in consecutive auctions. IMO, that would have given him far better results.

Tough to say, but probably not. Nothing like the fenzy of an auction to drive unique books like that X Men into the stratosphere. However, he should have done this one run at a time in consecutive auctions. IMO, that would have given him far better results.

I think if he just split it up into 2 separate auctions the run books would have done better then they did. I'm fully expecting a good amount of these books to show up again soon on dealer's websites as the overall amount of the books was so large I find it hard to believe collectors anted up to purchase most of them.

Not sure about how great an idea it would have been for Doug to just list these books on his site, sure a bunch would have sold but he likely would also just sit on a lot of books as his prices I'm sure would be sky high. Don't get the feeling he wanted to deal with that and probably better to just let em go and not deal with the hassle or attachment issue of keeping some books for a while and selling others.

I think he could have negotiated a similar price, maybe showcase the big keys with Heritage on their site and let potential buyers take a run at them. I believe people got use to the fact that Doug would rarely if ever sell his vault books unless it was a one off but if he actually had price tags on them he would have moved tons of them quickly.

I'm sure some of the books would have realized higher prices if the titles had been spread out over another auction or two. But if you were Doug, maybe it's better to just tear off that band-aid fast and get it over with.

Also, from Heritage's standpoint, one big PR blitz and one catalog probably makes a bit more sense.

That said, I suspect the mega-books like the TOS #39, FF #1, Avengers #1, and X-Men #1 didn't suffer at all with the way it all went down.

If they were my collection, I probably would have wanted to space it out a bit. But then again, if it were my collection, I'd hate to sell them at all.