• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

That is the thing. I'm sure he agonized about this a bit. He put a tremendous amount of effort into assembling his collection and he should be proud of it. The one thing he did get by selling them at once is the publicity. He sold off the biggest collection we have seen to date dollar wise.

Can you imagine if still had the ASM, Hulks, and his bronze age books? Now that would have been over the top.

I hope he is happy with the result. We have been dicing this like a bunch of ESPN analysts but in the end he definitely came out good. So who could argue with that.

Can you imagine if still had the ASM, Hulks, and his bronze age books? Now that would have been over the top.

I think Doug probably did better selling his ASMs when he did. If I remember correctly, Spideys were selling for more than they are today. His Hulk #1 probably would have realized more today. But I bet the ASM prices more than made up for that.

But still, it would have been something if the AF #15 9.4, ASM #1 9.6, and Hulk #1 9.2 were in this auction too. Mind numbing.

I've already seen a few up for sale, them flippers flip fast!

I wonder if Doug is going to remove the books from the Registry now that they are no long his?

I was wondering the same thing. I'll move up one spot! lol

I guess its easy to say now but Doug would have been better off rolling these out in small batches every month on his website. I look at the TTA's and I'm betting he could have sold every one of them for more, in some cases a lot more.

That could very well be. But do you think he could would have realized the same prices on the bigger books like the X-Men #1?

I don't know the answer, I'm just wondering.

Tough to say, but probably not. Nothing like the fenzy of an auction to drive unique books like that X Men into the stratosphere. However, he should have done this one run at a time in consecutive auctions. IMO, that would have given him far better results.

I think if he just split it up into 2 separate auctions the run books would have done better then they did. I'm fully expecting a good amount of these books to show up again soon on dealer's websites as the overall amount of the books was so large I find it hard to believe collectors anted up to purchase most of them.

Not sure about how great an idea it would have been for Doug to just list these books on his site, sure a bunch would have sold but he likely would also just sit on a lot of books as his prices I'm sure would be sky high. Don't get the feeling he wanted to deal with that and probably better to just let em go and not deal with the hassle or attachment issue of keeping some books for a while and selling others.

....it was probably a smoother disconnect for him to sell through HA....I would agonize over them if I had to collect money, pack, and ship a collection I spent MANY years assembling. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....it was probably a smoother disconnect for him to sell through HA....I would agonize over them if I had to collect money, pack, and ship a collection I spent MANY years assembling.

Doug already sold off some parts of his collection directly, and has been selling bits and pieces of his collection for years now.

....I'm probably injecting too much of myself into this ....but the convenience would appeal to me. Packing and shipping 7 books can be a chore for me....700 would be an enormous endeavor. I wonder if Doug is finished with collecting...? It was such a driving focus for him for so long. You would probably have a better grasp of all the psychology involved, as you've made a similar decision in the past. GOD BLESS...

....I'm probably injecting too much of myself into this ....but the convenience would appeal to me. Packing and shipping 7 books can be a chore for me....700 would be an enormous endeavor. I wonder if Doug is finished with collecting...? It was such a driving focus for him for so long. You would probably have a better grasp of all the psychology involved, as you've made a similar decision in the past. GOD BLESS...

I with Jimbo on this. I recently did about 20 sales all at once and I just hated packing all those books, major pain in the arse.

He did make a nice profit on his JIM #85. Bought it as a 9.2 for 4k at the mound city auction - pressed it into a 9.6, and just sold it for 28k.

I thought he auctioned that book off his site for something like $30K+ back after it upgraded?

Are you sure it's the same book?

Actually here it is, October 2004 market report:

We were able to come to terms on a part consignment/part purchase of the entire run of the popular Ant-Man/Giant-Man title with Mark Arrand of Colmore Comics & Collectibles. As most of you know, Mark is a very knowledgeable and serious collector of Marvel Comics and has one of the best, if not the best, Silver Age collections that side of the Atlantic. When Mark and I discussed the possibilities of a full-blown trade/purchase/consignment of the run, which included 60 Pacific Coast copies, I could not pass it up. After numerous negotiations and variations on a deal, Pedigree Comics wound up purchasing 53 comics out of the run, 49 of which are Pacific Coasts. The remaining issues were posted on my site and were bid upon as soon as I listed them. Many had sold almost immediately, especially the remaining PC books that I did not purchase.

He did make a nice profit on his JIM #85. Bought it as a 9.2 for 4k at the mound city auction - pressed it into a 9.6, and just sold it for 28k.

I thought he auctioned that book off his site for something like $30K+ back after it upgraded?

Are you sure it's the same book?

Yeah, same book.

He did auction this book, but he had a 35k reserve on it so it didn't sell. So I guess one could look at this as a 7k loss. :devil:

I with Jimbo on this. I recently did about 20 sales all at once and I just hated packing all those books, major pain in the arse.

Yup. Some people think I'm into high dollar books because I'm an elitist, which is true, but also because I'm too lazy to deal with lots of small dollar books. My hat's off to people like Donut who are willing to handle and process a zillion books. I prefer to just deal with one book to make the same amount of cumulative profit--my margins might not be as high, but my sanity remains (relatively) intact.

Yup. Some people think I'm into high dollar books because I'm an elitist, which is true, but also because I'm too lazy to deal with lots of small dollar books. My hat's off to people like Donut who are willing to handle and process a zillion books. I prefer to just deal with one book to make the same amount of cumulative profit--my margins might not be as high, but my sanity remains (relatively) intact.

....and that ultra HG stuff is mesmerizing......a 9.6 copy of FC 178 would put me in a trance. GOD BLESS...