• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

Marvel collectors have their hurdles as well.

Marvels seem to suffer from a variety of production issues that don't seem to plague DC to the same degree so some find challenges by manouvering around those sorts of things.

Marvel collectors have their hurdles as well.

Marvels seem to suffer from a variety of production issues that don't seem to plague DC to the same degree so some find challenges by manouvering around those sorts of things.

That's my story too, miswraps and miscut books.

Today was my first day off since the auction started and I've got to say that this is one of the strongest offerings of any Comic auction I've seen yet.....unless you collect early SA D.C. books. Other than that it's astounding. This will give us a good indicator of just how strong and deep the market really is. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

i pity the poor Marvel gatherer; us savvy DC collectors don't have to be concerned with things like: too many books, too little $, another better copy coming down the pike next week. this month in Heritage and Clink i bid on two books- oh, the excitement never wanes.

Seriously, this auction reinforces how boring it must be to collect SA Marvels. Want to put together what would be the best or 2nd best runs of Avengers, JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, X-Men and Daredevil? Just write a big check in 3 weeks. That's literally all it takes.

Networking, hustling, detective work? Bah, that's for the little people! Just put in the bids from the air-conditioned comfort of your home, withdraw some money from the trust fund, and voila! Mission accomplished!

I see your point but that's assuming to have $5 million to throw at comics at any given time. There's been plenty of times a SA Marvel has come along that I'd kill to have but there was just no way to come up with the $$$ for it and someone else snatched it up so the hunt continues :sorry:

Unless you have unlimited income, believe me, there are PLENTY of hurdles for us little people collecting HG SA Marvels :cry:

Sure, to get a top HG collection of SA marvels it only takes money. But, you have to have that trust fund or big money to do it. I play in the shallow end of the pool for the most part because I'm not going to spend my life savings on comic books.

The key was to get in really early on this hobby and collect those raw HG SA books before CGC and before prices went insane. If I had the interest at the time during college I could have a full HG run of TOS, JIM, etc. I was more interested in girls and partying it up then and a dose of studying! lol

It is harder to come by those HG Silver age DCs. I don't see them that often at all

For me, Marvel SA is the best. They were at their peak then in my opinion.

Seriously, this auction reinforces how boring it must be to collect SA Marvels. Want to put together what would be the best or 2nd best runs of Avengers, JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, X-Men and Daredevil? Just write a big check in 3 weeks. That's literally all it takes.

Networking, hustling, detective work? Bah, that's for the little people! Just put in the bids from the air-conditioned comfort of your home, withdraw some money from the trust fund, and voila! Mission accomplished!

(tsk)

For 99% of us, your scenario isn't possible and collecting SA Marvels isn't boring at all. Would be rough to be part of the 1%, and be bored with our SA Marvel collections and have to turn to the Distinguished Competition to get our collecting rocks off.

As for Doug, it took him over 15 years to amass these runs (please reserve comments about the 'how' for that other thread in CG), so it didn't go quite the way of your scenario there either.

(tsk)

For 99% of us, your scenario isn't possible. Would be rough to be part of the 1%, and be bored with our SA Marvel collections.

For Doug, it took him over 15 years to amass these runs, so it didn't go quite the way of your scenario there either.

lol

You summed up what I meant to say in one sentence.

(tsk)

For 99% of us, your scenario isn't possible and collecting SA Marvels isn't boring at all. Would be rough to be part of the 1%, and be bored with our SA Marvel collections and have to turn to the Distinguished Competition to get our collecting rocks off.

As for Doug, it took him over 15 years to amass these runs (please reserve comments about the 'how' for that other thread in CG), so it didn't go quite the way of your scenario there either.

+1

I've met Doug and he seems to be a nice enough guy. Sure, he has some things in his past that I'm sure he isn't to proud of but people change and a few mistakes shouldn't brand you for life IMO. One thing that 13 years as a prosecutor and defense attorney taught me is that most of the people in the criminal justice system are no worse than anyone else. Hell, most of my clients were no worse people than the prosecutors, judges, victims and cops I dealt with from what I've seen! (shrug)

Many problems with your simple hypothesis, but here's the main one...

In an auction Marvel collectors have to battle and outbid thousands of other Marvel collectors (and that only includes those bidding), while DC collectors usually get lucky because the other guy who might be bidding is off doing something else.

In an auction Marvel collectors have to battle and outbid thousands of other Marvel collectors (and that only includes those bidding), while DC collectors usually get lucky because the other guy who might be bidding is off doing something else.

.....or they don't like that particular issue, of which MANY fit that criteria :baiting: GOD BLESS....

lol

Here's another take on Tim's comment about how boring it is to collect HG SA Marvels:

In one way, he's right. If you have enough money, you can find CGC-graded 9.4 and up copies of most anything in a given year, or even multiple copies. But as many others have already stated, 99% of us don't have anywhere near that kind of money. Therefore, we must engage in the detective work, strategy, and other great machinations that true collectors usually endure.

Here's one example -- I just picked up an FF #12 in 9.4, a book I could never just write a check for. I'm an English teacher with a comic budget that maybe reaches $10k a year. But over the years, I've bought high-quality stuff, all FF related.

So when I got word that a guy I know had an FF #12 in his safety-deposit box and was planning to move it someday, I jumped in with everything I had at what I thought would be just the right moment. 33 graded comics (only 4 were SA books, the rest late Silver and Bronze) and three major pieces of OA later, the book was in my hands.

Now, of course, I have a lot of money tied up in a single book, which is not usually my preference given that I'm trying to build an FF run book by book. But down the road I can perhaps pick up a lower-grade FF #12 (9.0?) and move the 9.4 to the right buyer for cash (and more cash than I paid in trade)...which will require even MORE patience, detective work, connections, and luck.

That's the fun of collecting for me...I can't buy a superb run of HG SA Marvels, especially since I have strict requirements for page quality, color, centering, and the like. But I can get a small sample of superb SA Marvels on a budget -- just the kind of challenge I love.

Dan

Here's another take on Tim's comment about how boring it is to collect HG SA Marvels:

In one way, he's right. If you have enough money, you can find CGC-graded 9.4 and up copies of most anything in a given year, or even multiple copies. But as many others have already stated, 99% of us don't have anywhere near that kind of money. Therefore, we must engage in the detective work, strategy, and other great machinations that true collectors usually endure.

Here's one example -- I just picked up an FF #12 in 9.4, a book I could never just write a check for. I'm an English teacher with a comic budget that maybe reaches $10k a year. But over the years, I've bought high-quality stuff, all FF related.

So when I got word that a guy I know had an FF #12 in his safety-deposit box and was planning to move it someday, I jumped in with everything I had at what I thought would be just the right moment. 33 graded comics (only 4 were SA books, the rest late Silver and Bronze) and three major pieces of OA later, the book was in my hands.

Now, of course, I have a lot of money tied up in a single book, which is not usually my preference given that I'm trying to build an FF run book by book. But down the road I can perhaps pick up a lower-grade FF #12 (9.0?) and move the 9.4 to the right buyer for cash (and more cash than I paid in trade)...which will require even MORE patience, detective work, connections, and luck.

That's the fun of collecting for me...I can't buy a superb run of HG SA Marvels, especially since I have strict requirements for page quality, color, centering, and the like. But I can get a small sample of superb SA Marvels on a budget -- just the kind of challenge I love.

Dan

......keep the 9.4, Dan. It's a true treasure. GOD BLESS...

lol

also if you're really so rich that you can buy literally every marvel key off the auction at one time, you probably don't have the toughest time finding and buying all the DC keys also (or paying someone to do it). Money makes a lot of things boring, but makes a whole bunch of other things more fun.

I take offense to that, I swear on a couple books there were 3 or 4 bidding against me. Bastards.

(tsk)

+1

I've met Doug and he seems to be a nice enough guy. Sure, he has some things in his past that I'm sure he isn't to proud of but people change and a few mistakes shouldn't brand you for life IMO. One thing that 13 years as a prosecutor and defense attorney taught me is that most of the people in the criminal justice system are no worse than anyone else. Hell, most of my clients were no worse people than the prosecutors, judges, victims and cops I dealt with from what I've seen! (shrug)

lol

Dan

Tremendous post, Dan, enjoyed it!!!

I take offense to that, I swear on a couple books there were 3 or 4 bidding against me. Bastards.

Damn them, 3 or 4 people going hard after one book... and Marvel collectors have hundreds going after a dozen copies or so. :makepoint::flamed:

lol

also if you're really so rich that you can buy literally every marvel key off the auction at one time, you probably don't have the toughest time finding and buying all the DC keys also (or paying someone to do it). Money makes a lot of things boring, but makes a whole bunch of other things more fun.

good luck buying a showcase #22 in 9.4