• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Toast Report: SDCC 2012 PIC HEAVY!

465 posts in this topic

Awesome thread, Toast.....thanks for the commitment to do it right....I know how much time something like this takes. I'm glad so many of you made it. Some great costumes and statues......and the comic selection :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Awesome thread, Toast.....thanks for the commitment to do it right....I know how much time something like this takes. I'm glad so many of you made it. Some great costumes and statues......and the comic selection :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No problem, jimbo! I took most of today off so I could recover from being a 'Toon Tumbler slave lol I did a lot of walking Tuesday through Saturday.

So is it safe to say that SDCC is the pop culture convention?

As far as pop culture goes, it's mind blowing. I thought last year was insane. This year topped it. The only one that I know of that surpasses this one is the one in Europe. Apparently it's multiples larger than SD.

I find it hard to believe Europe could put on a show anything near what SDCC has to offer.

Tell me one good reason why Europe should not have a bigger Con? Sure, it's not anything like SDCC because there are no Hollywood Studios presenting movies and all that stuff, but there are more people attending the festival than people visiting SDCC. The Festival in Angoulême is very different, it's all over the city and not only at one place. And it's more comic related than SDCC is now. But you really can't compare those 2 shows regarding what they have to offer.

Tell me one good reason why Europe should not have a bigger Con? Sure, it's not anything like SDCC because there are no Hollywood Studios presenting movies and all that stuff, but there are more people attending the festival than people visiting SDCC. The Festival in Angoulême is very different, it's all over the city and not only at one place. And it's more comic related than SDCC is now. But you really can't compare those 2 shows regarding what they have to offer.

How much of this is US comic related? Are there a lot US comics to be found or is it more French "bande dessinée"?

Unfortunately, it's safe to say that San Diego is no longer the premier comic con in the country.inue to do well - dealers that are not A level as far as quality of material

As far as pop culture goes, it's mind blowing. I thought last year was insane. This year topped it. The only one that I know of that surpasses this one is the one in Europe. Apparently it's multiples larger than SD.

What is the best Con to go to that is purely comic book oriented? I'm thinking of coming over to the U.S. in 12 months or thereabouts but to be honest SDCC looks to crazy for me. Not to mention very expensive and hard to get tickets for.

Unfortunately, it's safe to say that San Diego is no longer the premier comic con in the country.inue to do well - dealers that are not A level as far as quality of material

What is the best Con to go to that is purely comic book oriented? I'm thinking of coming over to the U.S. in 12 months or thereabouts but to be honest SDCC looks to crazy for me. Not to mention very expensive and hard to get tickets for.

If you're looking for vintage books, New York in October or Wizard World Chicago in August are both extremely large with decent content for all types of collectors (although your perspective will vary based on whether you are looking at guest lists or not). You also get to see 2 very large cities with those shows although the Chicago show is technically in a large suburb about 40 minutes outside of downtown Chicago.

Baltimore (usually in late August or September/October) and Charlotte (usually in June) are also spectacular comic book only shows but are not as large as say WW Chicago or NYCC (Baltimore/Charlotte are generally 2-3 day shows while WWC and NYC are 4+ day shows) so if I was visiting from off the continent you might want to stick to the larger shows to get your most bang for the buck.