• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

I guess I don't understand nor will I ever understand complaints regarding delays. If you are assured that a comic WILL get back on track and there ARE plans for future stories - just be happy when it comes out. There are plenty of great books to read released every month. Bedlam was the first book that got me to venture into Moderns and I'm looking forward to following it for the long run if they stay true to the characters and the character development. 2c

+1

I am patient. Heck, most of the time the new books just get stacked in the corner, often for months, until I have an opportunity to binge-read them anyway. There are very few books that I read as they come out.

I'm the same way. I'll be excited when I pick up a stack of books from my LCS (or recently when they arrive in the mail after I preordered) - :banana: . I admire the covers, might flip through them quickly, and put aside to read later. There are a couple I feel like I need to read as soon as I get, but otherwise - read them when I get around to it. This doesn't change the fact that I love the book to begin with which is the reason I bought it. I guess that is why delays don't bother me so much.

There's been release delays lately due to the subpar art.

Interesting conjecture. Have any facts to back this up, or is it simply your choice to throw the artist under the bus? ...

My sauce (source) was from reading these boards.

I was under the impression that the new artist was causing the most recent delay.

And...this is what happens when people start spouting unsubstantiated claims as fact. :(

I was mistaken by my memory. I thought the recent delay was caused by the artist.

I was incorrect.

That's cool, and I'm not trying to single you out, as I know this type of "conjecture as fact" is all too common on these forums (and on this thread). These forums should be for sharing actual information, but all too often there is more misinformation than anything else, which can be very unfair to the creators.

Maybe my subconscious has a vendetta against the Bedlam artists.

My 2c :

I greatly dislike Riley Rossmo's art.

I even enjoy Rob Liefeld's art more than Riley.

The art in Bedlam is worse than almost any other book I've read recently.

The only book with worse art is Hoax Hunters (artist Tristan Jones).

My favorite artists include: Jenny Frison, Fiona Staples, Emma Rios, Matthew Roberts, Chip Zdarsky, Tyler Jenkins, johnnie christmas, Matteo Scalera and Brian Stelfreeze.

Bedlam/Rossmo art:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/a577579d694bd8f9c9d62d0336652228/tumblr_mktvm5lfEB1qg4vcvo1_1280.jpg

Edited by revivedrevival

I'll believe a new issue of Bedlam when I see it

:eyeroll:

Why do you think Nick Spencer would even bother to come here and SAY he has big plans for Bedlam if he didn't really believe in it and felt it was over? :baiting:

Overall theme of Bedlam:

Can a zebra change its stripes?

Or, is it once a killer, always a killer?

Or alternatively, can someone be brain washde such that they become sick to their stomach any time they think of performing a crime?

lol you really don't need a spoiler alert on a books premise that came out a long time ago.

I think Bedlam is a polarizing book; you either love it or you hate it. I love it; I was intrigued after reading the digital preview and got a chance to read the entire issue 1 a week or two prior to release since it was sold early as an NYCC exclusive and I was hooked from then. I really enjoy the story, a lot.

I also thought Rossmo’s art fit the book really well, with my only complaint being that some characters looked alike due to the exaggerated “Rossmo-style” squared chins. Other than that, I really like his art.

Ryan Browne I thought was just ok; I don’t know if it was that he was trying too hard to copy Rossmo, but the art just didn’t feel awesome. However, I can’t say I hated it, either.

I am anxiously waiting for a new issue release date to be announced and also wondering who the new artist will be. Spencer hinting that he has big plans for this book isn’t helping the waiting game! Let’s hope a new issue comes out sooner than later…

:wishluck:

Rossmo's art is definitely an acquired taste. ;)

Yes, it's very sketchy and characters look the same. To be honest I didn't like it at first glance either, but as I continued to read PROOF his style really fit the story. It worked for CNV, and Bedlam too. Certain styles fit certain stories, and I think he chooses the right projects for his style. For example, Jim Lee on Chew just wouldn't work.

I didn't like the new artist's style. It seemed like he was trying to draw Rossmo's style instead of doing his own thing. It seemed to handcuff him and didn't work. Rossmo's style can't really be mimicked in a good way. Whoever draws the new issues should just do their own style. 2c

Honestly, the negative for me was the writing. I thought the 1st issue was great, the characters were interesting, and #1 was a great start. But as more issues came out I thought it got boring.

I think I had this book built way up in my head prior to even reading a single issue.

I remember thinking that the premise/plot sounded very interesting and cool.

Then the panel in #1 with the kid and Madder happened, and honestly, it lost me after that.

I'm usually not a "softie", but it bothered me a lot. (Mission accomplished I'm sure for Mr. Spencer,haha.)

I kept reading, but never got completely vested in the ongoing story, then Riley left (I'm one of those that feel his artistic style fit Bedlam perfectly), and I really stopped caring. Still bought the book, but it slipped farther and farther towards the bottom of my reading pile.

At this point, my life wouldn't change at all if it never came out again.

That fact bums me out, compared to my attitude a year ago about the same book...

I think I had this book built way up in my head prior to even reading a single issue.

Then the panel in #1 with the kid and Madder happened, and honestly, it lost me after that.

I'm usually not a "softie", but it bothered me a lot. (Mission accomplished I'm sure for Mr. Spencer,haha.)

I kept reading, but never got completely vested in the ongoing story, then Riley left (I'm one of those that feel his artistic style fit Bedlam perfectly), and I really stopped caring. Still bought the book, but it slipped farther and farther towards the bottom of my reading pile.

That fact bums me out, compared to my attitude a year ago about the same book...

I found it pretty shocking and pointless when Madder was slitting a childs throat in #1 .

It felt like it was shock for shocks sake, Way too much for me and I love horror genres and hard core gore. Just uncalled for in my book. Way too much dialogue also IMO.

you guys are posting so much in this thread, you might single handedly cause a run on issues and a spike in prices.

great art, great story, hard book in 9.8, rumors of rumors of rumors of a 1000-episode tv-show already filmed in secret, girls like it, next Walking Saga, I have 430 copies of issue #1, but I am always looking to buy more, I'd never sell, its just for my personal collection! woot! woot!

you guys are posting so much in this thread, you might single handedly cause a run on issues and a spike in prices.

great art, great story, hard book in 9.8, rumors of rumors of rumors of a 1000-episode tv-show already filmed in secret, girls like it, next Walking Saga, I have 430 copies of issue #1, but I am always looking to buy more, I'd never sell, its just for my personal collection! woot! woot!

/thread

lock it down!

Beige?

Bedlam makes me sad. It WAS so good. #1 was great and the first arc was okay. It came out in October '12 and it's been 18 month, 1.5 arcs, 2 artists, and the second arc hasn't really delivered anything with the quality of the first.

In the first arc you get a sense that Madder Red is truely a villain amongst villains. In the second arc you get the sense that Madder is a crazy-confused guy who you kinda just meh at and walk the other way. In my mind, the real Madder could never work with the police. Imagine Kevin Spacy trying to work with Brad Pitt in Se7en. It just doesn't fit. Hopefully things will continue to evolve and things will change. I still have hope.

I found it pretty shocking and pointless when Madder was slitting a childs throat in #1 .

It felt like it was shock for shocks sake, Way too much for me and I love horror genres and hard core gore. Just uncalled for in my book. Way too much dialogue also IMO.

That's what made the book for me! Madder Red is not a nice guy

Edited by Lonzilla

Same here :)

Yes some loved it for that. I personally hated it and dropped the book as soon as I read that part. I didn't need that part to tell he wasn't a nice guy or even they could have hinted at it off panel instead.

I appreciate the talent writing the book, but the above and the art just turned me off the book as well.

Edited by Fastballspecial