• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Comic Con August 8-11, 2013

482 posts in this topic

Love Chicago and wish I could go! At least I was able to get my books sent to Desert Wind Comics to CGC - Sig Series my comics:

Batman #1 - sigs: Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo

Batman #21 - sigs: Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo

Batman #575 - sig: Alan Davis

Wish I had my Excalibur #1 to send out so Alan Davis & Chris Claremont cold sign it. Oh well, there's always next time!

My desire is strong and my will is weak.

Sooo. you want to go the Kenny May's strip club on Calumet Avenue in Hammond?

His will would have to be in a coma to head to Hammond voluntarily.

I will likely be playing poker in Hammond this evening.

One reason to go down to that area is to continue south to Munster and hit Three Floyd's brewpub. Just picked up a case of Zombie Dust there last weekend :banana:

One reason to go down to that area is to continue south to Munster and hit Three Floyd's brewpub. Just picked up a case of Zombie Dust there last weekend :banana:

The real reason is to meet me. lol I'm about ten minutes from Three Floyds. Not a big fan of the place myself. The beer there isn't cold enough for me.

If by any chance any of you guys end up at Three Floyd's later get ahold of me. I'll come over there. Just send me a P.M. :acclaim:

Big thanks to the watcher for the coke zero. Couldn't have come at a better time!

Also hockeyboy13 with a huge set up assist

Packing tonight, heading straight to Chi tomorrow after work, ETA apx 6:30 to 7PM Chicago time.

Gator, threw in an extra Coke Zero 2 liter in the cooler....just in case, dig?

Big thanks to the watcher for the coke zero. Couldn't have come at a better time!

Also hockeyboy13 with a huge set up assist

Packing tonight, heading straight to Chi tomorrow after work, ETA apx 6:30 to 7PM Chicago time.

Gator, threw in an extra Coke Zero 2 liter in the cooler....just in case, dig?

(worship)

I've got my want list in good shape and the bags are packed (I bring large suitcases that are empty going and hopefully full coming home). Leaving early tomorrow, and if my flight isn't delayed I'm thinking about catching a movie at Muvico. I'm hoping to pick up a few CGC worthy raws, as I'm renewing and have the 4 comic coupon. Also hoping to get a nice steak at Gibsons one night.

For all those interested in sight seeing when they arrive... If you are coming from the airport via automobile my lady's new Fruit Water billboard featuring Christina Applegate is right at the freeway exit for the convention center.

Ad campaign went live last week. So if you see various billboards, magazine, and bus wraps nationwide that's Kristen's work.

Very proud.

For those not familiar with the area, a brand-new outlet mall opened up at the beginning of the month (by the Muvico?), so traffic may be a bit more congested than normal.
yes, I hope the cops re out today because crossing river road is dangerous now with the increased traffic

Wall of text / small write-up:

I came in on Thursday to drop off for on-site and do a little shopping. Picking up tickets - as always - was a hassle. It seems those that pay in advance get stuck waiting in huge lines to pick up those advance tickets and people paying when they get there have no line to deal with (these are lines outside of the "staging" area). Though the 2nd floor was the "main floor" of the Convention (on Thursday the 1st floor was not accessible), everyone had to get tickets downstairs, wait in line downstairs, then head up a single escalator and staircase to get there. Can't imagine what this will look like on the weekend.

Finally got up and in, dropped off books at CGC (no line, no problems, great customer service), and started shopping. Picked up a majority of Copper and a couple mid-grade (all I can afford until that Copper spikes!) SA keys. A lot of dealers are now on the ST 180 bandwagon, but I couldn't find an Avengers 257 for the life of me. I expected to find them lounging in $1 bins, but no. Then I thought they had all been pulled for display and a price hike, but negative on that as well.

Similarly, the majority of dealers had their Avengers 55 up on the wall; one had one on display and 2 more sitting in his longbox. I picked them up to buy and he realized his mistake. After a little consolation and grief, we both ended up happy. Two dealers were new to the Ultron craze; one was glad for the knowledge and the other - when I tried to see if I could work out a trade - said no one had asked him about that comic all day so it must not be valuable.

I heard dealers complaining about booth location, booth setup (which way the booth was facing), and decreased traffic due to the floor split. Odd since on Thursday there was no 1st floor traffic, so maybe he was just complaining in advance? I saw 2 real parrots, 1 fake parrot, and 1 guy smelling his comic books. I’m sure there were more, but this one I caught in the act.

I don't know if it was the splitting of floors, but it seemed that there were a lot more dealers this year. And definitely a lot of great wall books. I'll never be in the 9.X GA/SA league, but they're nice to look at.

The only downside to the show is the logistics. Getting into the actual show is more difficult than it needs to be; at C2E2 I had no issues walking into the convention center and onto the floor. Also - parking. The parking itself is not a problem (thanks to a giant parking garage and a covered walkway), it is waiting in line with everyone else to pay for parking once the show is over. Again, this was only on Thursday. With the weekend and the new outlet mall, I cannot imagine how this will be the next two-three days.

I'll be back on Sunday to pick up my books, hopefully pay off a debt, and maybe pick up some more mid-grade scraps.

The parking itself is not a problem (thanks to a giant parking garage and a covered walkway), it is waiting in line with everyone else to pay for parking once the show is over.

Just do it after you park, that way you don't have to deal with the crowd when leaving. That's what I do. It's $13 whether you pay when you first get there or when you leave (thumbs u

The parking itself is not a problem (thanks to a giant parking garage and a covered walkway), it is waiting in line with everyone else to pay for parking once the show is over.

Just do it after you park, that way you don't have to deal with the crowd when leaving. That's what I do. It's $13 whether you pay when you first get there or when you leave (thumbs u

Good to know for next year (or if my girlfriend gets wind of this outlet mall). I thought it was a timed-exit garage.

I agree, I wonder if it would have been faster to buy at the door. But it seems that traffic is okay once you have your ticket. Unlike earlier reports, you can enter either on the 1st or 2nd floor. And there are a ton of people here. Overall I think the staff has done a pretty good job.

Good to know for next year (or if my girlfriend gets wind of this outlet mall). I thought it was a timed-exit garage.

I'm going to definitely talk up the outlet mall to get my wife to come to Chicago for next year's show. She can hit the mall all day while I'm at the con. It'll be perfect! I'll be practically guaranteed to have spent less than she will, and everyone wins.

Ugh! Great con but I can't believe I haven't seen any board members that I recognize. Too bad the dinner fell through since I'd be able to meet everyone there.