• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

A BIN? Something is fishy. There are cheaper copies online for sale. Unless someone REALLY wanted the black mature label version, so much that they paid $500 to $700 more for it then they could have bought a white label for.

arnie-levin-if-you-think-something-is-rotten-in-the-state-of-denmark-press-one-now-cartoon_zpsfc8cd9d4.jpg

Yeah, while most people here seem to think that there's no way to shill a BIN, I don't think they're getting the part where potential buyers look at completed sales for pricing, and the best way to convince someone to pay $1800 for a book is to make it appear that they sell all day long on Ebay for $2700.

My friend did it that way frequently with performance auto parts on Ebay (he said he has 3 accounts and several friends that shill for him), and he's about as sharp as a bag of wet hair - so I'm pretty sure theres LOTS of that kind of shilling on Ebay.

May want to tell your friend of the many arrests of people doing just that.

He doesn't do it anymore because he doesn't work at that shop any longer - it was actually under the direction of his boss, who was a pretty questionable guy to begin with.

You can 'shill' a BUY IT NOW sale price. I also know of very reputable dealers both in the collectibles and antiques business that will negotiate a price on their website and sell the item. They then mark the item as 'sold' but do not state at which price. This leaves the viewer to believe the item sold at the listed 'insane' price of whatever was originally shown. It is unfair to say the least, but it happens all the time...

I am glad to see this thread is still kicking. Hopefully it will last until the market adjustment and then we can see who was correct.

By market correction I assume you mean short term? This is a book I see having little long term potential (as I have stated in this thread). It is a good 'flip.' That being said, has anyone ever thought of this scenerio:

The television show lasts a few seasons more and then gets 'cut' (for whatever reason; budget, loss of interest, runs its course)...

But then a few years later a Walking Dead movie is released. This would cause new interest in the book. Obviously, it may not be sustained as movie 'hype' only lasts for so long (as folks now buying IM #55 will learn).

Just one of the many possibilities if 'Hollywood' still has an interest in 'comic book' movies at that point in time. There is no reason to assume they would not, as zombies are a universal theme.

I just doubt the long term potential of this book (meaning decades; NOT just a few years).

Kind Regards,

'mint'

So why would a movie get made if the TV show can't do well enough to sustain interest in your scenario?

Re: See

Firefly

Star Trek

X-Files

I'm sure there are more, but those come immediately to mind.

The last X-Files movie which is residing in most bargain store $3 bins from remainder stock. lol

Did not like it. Mulder and Scully no longer in the FBI? What the hell was the point. They should have just done one for Christmas of this year and concluded the (lame) Super Soldier story line that took over after the Syndicate story line was wiped out. In the show that story line was set to have the pay day be the Mayan calender end of the world.

It really is kinda nuts right now

The last CGC 9.8, 9.6, and 9.4 GPA for Walking Dead #1 all went for GPA records highs. :o

$1750 for 9.8

Just curious, what's the record high for each grade (SS and non-SS)?

According to GPA VF/NM to NM/M copies of Walking Dead #1 last went for...

9.8..........$1600

9.8 SS....$2026

9.6..........$1100

9.6 SS....$1750 (shrug) ($1250 90 day average)

9.4..........$950

9.4 SS....$1300

9.2..........$675

9.2 SS....$685

9.0..........$889

9.0 SS....$1203

I hope that it's okay to quote GPA here. :whistle:

Why do people want to see this book drop off so badly?

This is great for the industry and has sparked a lot of interest. Anything that is good for comics is good in my opinion! (thumbs u

I hope the bubble keeps on bursting :banana:

I don't know if collectors in general want to see the books drop in price. I think a lot of collectors suspect, believe it likely or even know in their hearts that the books are eventually going to drop in price. And so some, who care, speculate on when that day might be.

I, personally, would not buy the books - particularly early and variant issues - at today's prices and think in terms of holding it for the long term (think a decade). Now is the time to buy and sell.

The early Valiant's all had great stories, excellent art and low print runs. It was smart to buy and sell while they were hot - and buy to keep once they cooled down.

Edited by Tony S

It really is kinda nuts right now

The last CGC 9.8, 9.6, and 9.4 GPA for Walking Dead #1 all went for GPA records highs. :o

$1750 for 9.8

Just curious, what's the record high for each grade (SS and non-SS)?

According to GPA VF/NM to NM/M copies of Walking Dead #1 last went for...

9.8..........$1600

9.8 SS....$2026

9.6..........$1100

9.6 SS....$1750 (shrug) ($1250 90 day average)

9.4..........$950

9.4 SS....$1300

9.2..........$675

9.2 SS....$685

9.0..........$889

9.0 SS....$1203

I hope that it's okay to quote GPA here. :whistle:

Thanks for the information.

I asked because the $1750 SS 9.6 was my book. I was planning on keeping it for my collection, but decided to throw it up for $2000 BIN obo, and had tons of people interested and settled at $1750. I know that I will never get more than that.

Edited by lemonman5

This is great for the industry and has sparked a lot of interest. Anything that is good for comics is good in my opinion! (thumbs u

I don't know if collectors in general want to see the books drop in price. I think a lot of collectors suspect, believe it likely or even know in their hearts that the books are eventually going to drop in price. And so some, who care, speculate on when that day might be.

I, personally, would not buy the books - particularly early and variant issues - at today's prices and think in terms of holding it for the long term (think a decade). Now is the time to buy and sell.

The early Valiant's all had great stories, excellent art and low print runs. It was smart to buy and sell while they were hot - and buy to keep once they cooled down.

Except none of the early Valiants had a wildly successful show brand with no end in sight and millions of fans around the world.

Just sayin' :)

Except none of the early Valiants had a wildly successful show brand with no end in sight and millions of fans around the world.

Smurfs

Jeremiah

Tank Girl

Sin City

Scott Pilgrim

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid

Road To Perdition

From Hell

Smurfs

Jeremiah

Tank Girl

Sin City

Scott Pilgrim

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid

Road To Perdition

From Hell

touche

Smurfs

Jeremiah

Tank Girl

Sin City

Scott Pilgrim

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid

Road To Perdition

From Hell

what do these things have to do with Valiants? (shrug)

doh!

Super Mario Brothers :whistle:

I'd say Mario was, is, and always will be more mainstream and wildly successful than the Walking Dead ^^

How much does a Mario Brothers in CGC 9.8 go for these days?

Less than $100. It is a niche market to be honest, as the Walking Dead (due to the television show) has a current larger audience base.

Not too many video gamers know about the Valiant Nintendo comics and are prepared to pay 'big bucks' for them.

I bought my Zelda #1 (Valiant CGC 9.8) for $90 on eBay and the seller was amazed I offered him so muich (his words, not mine). I could flip it for more (I'd say between $125-$150) at a video game convention, but this one's mine.

'mint'

How much does a Mario Brothers in CGC 9.8 go for these days?

A better bet is Mario`s true first appearance. This in the future will be far more sought after then Mario`s comic book.

Donkey_Kong_arcade.jpg

I would find this to be incorrect. Video game collecting; is a niche market. In the video game world few collectors refer to games as 'first appearances, etc.' The same principles popular in comic book collecting do not apply. They also never will; in my opinion as (someone who has been active in the hobby since day one).

That being said, an arcade machine is much harder to sell. I know because I collect them as well. Most people want something simple and portable to collect. This is why no accuate price guide for full sized arcade machines exists. You could buy Donkey Kong for $1,000 (original and near mint) and sell it for $1,500 or vice versa. Or more; or even lesss. It is the 'Wild West' of collecting. It depends who is in the market at the time you are selling. A major issue with full fledged video games is the fact that most collectors will only buy an original game (or one restored to full original condition) from a well known dealer who offers a service plan. This overall; makes these games a horrible investment because the buyer is left trying to sell an item with no warrantry, should he sell it later on. Now if you happen to know how to restore these games, 'rock on.' Keep in mind though that finding original parts (heck, even original side art) can be very hard. Restoring these to original condition is also very hard and time consuming. At that point, you mine as well become a full fledged seller; rather than just a hobbyist.

I bought an old Star Wars arcade game at auction. I spent $500 for the game and $1000 on restoration. In the end, it sometimes is just not worth the effort unless you are a true collector of these machines. Due to emulation, very few of the 'younger generation' (what I refer to as 18-24) are into owning actual home video game classics (meaning NES, etc.) and actual arcade machines. Like my nephew says, 'Why would I pay XXX of dollars for something I can download on my Wii for $5?' He will however, buy a used NES at a garage sale if he sees one. He does this either to resell it or get a cheap game he doesn't have or just wants to play.

This is leaving most of these items as one generation collectibles. Some will have some value, some will not, but most will never even come close to their original resale price.

***RANT:Just an observation from someone who just received an angry email from someone I sold a factory sealed video game to; all because the person took a large loss on the item when they resold it! How is this my responsibility? If I buy a comic book from a dealer on this site and try to sell it for more, but can't; is the dealer at fault? I don't think so. Especially if six months have gone by since the sale!***END OF RANT!

Respectfully,

'mint'

PS: I do NOT think anyone wants the 'Walking Dead' bubble to burst. We just like to comment on it. It is a 'speculative bubble' in my opinion; and a unique success story!