• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,038 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, Petroman said:

Its definitely an interesting comparison between comics and cards.  Agree that the card submission volume would be far higher.  But at the same time the handling is easier, the grading is easier, and the encapsulation is easier.  I'm sure that the amount of labor and time involved is way less to grade a card than a comic as is the amount of space required to store submissions.  I'd love to know the ratio of cards to comics though.  1000 to 1 seems pretty high if the cost per PSA grade is $50 min.  If it really is 1000 to 1, then they must really be raking it in.

Easier but much higher volume.  Sports card market is vastly greater than comic books in both volume and collectors.  Cost for their min tier was super cheap before covid.  PSA had millions of cards backlogged March 2021, CGC does not.  

Take Zion Williamson, people flooded PSA with that garbage player, only to get cards back that they all mostly lost money on.  Again sports cards market is a lot of short-term speculation while comics are usually the long game of holding.  Only one first appearance of Deadpool, however LeFraud James has a ton of different Rookie cards. 

Over the past 3 weeks, CCS TAT's for slow modern books have quietly gone up from 196 days to 229 days, and we haven't even reached submissions delivered during the price change back in early May. 1.5 years of wait time is right around the corner folks.:frustrated:

Edited by skybolt

On 1/22/2022 at 9:04 AM, skybolt said:

Over the past 3 weeks, CCS TAT's for slow modern books have quietly gone up from 196 days to 229 days, and we haven't even reached submissions delivered during the price change back in early May. 1.5 years of wait time is right around the corner folks.:frustrated:

Crazy stuff... they just got to 1 of my 4/7 yesterday... I did have one in that group of 5  that went to SFG in mid Nov, but I think that happened so soon because there was an ASM 300 mixed in it they bumped up to walk-through... so they just moved the entire sub along rather than breaking it out... so I'm thinking pressing from April is just starting to begin... I think you're right, and once they get to May its going to be horrendous, 300+ days for pressing alone is what I'm envisioning...

On 1/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, skybolt said:

So when do we see the touted impact of the new hiring/facilities/submission form kick in and reflect in a lower TAT? I am assuming the next celebration will again be they have opened all boxes received  and not that the TAT is significantly lower. 

On 1/22/2022 at 10:26 AM, X_Phile said:

So when do we see the touted impact of the new hiring/facilities/submission form kick in and reflect in a lower TAT? I am assuming the next celebration will again be they have opened all boxes received  and not that the TAT is significantly lower. 

Exactly. I think a lot of us complaining about boxes taking 2 to 3 months to open were hoping that once this was corrected the total TAT's would go down as well. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Takes min of 1-2 years. 

We are just beginning to experience whatever pains the acquisition will create. I am assuming experts will be brought in to look at processes and whatever training is, or isn’t happening. Where the bottlenecks really are and then what can be done to correct/eliminate them. 

On 1/15/2022 at 11:44 AM, Petroman said:

AFAIK its still a federal offense to tamper with the US mail, so maybe it you live in the lawless Wild Wild West you should always ship USPS.  Then again, your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not this would actual deter anyone.  Guess your best bet is to make sure you have adequate insurance.  Or just keep your books at home and hope you don't get robbed.

The old saying went "You'll do more time for stealing 2 pieces of mail, than for killing 2 people".  Not sure if that still applies though.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:41 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

The hype is over, as covid comes to a manageable end, expect people to stop submitting as much mixed w/losing money on books bought at the height of the comic market on the copper/modern drek.  

I know this will ruffle some feathers but I hope huge numbers of folks loose BIG money.   All true Collector's IMHO should want that as well.  Flippers, speculators, and  Modern age dealers, will be upset but if the smart ones knew the spike (modern bubble) would not last forever.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/22/2022 at 1:27 PM, MAR1979 said:

I know this will ruffle some feathers but I hope huge numbers of folks loose BIG money.   All true Collector's IMHO should want that as well.  Flippers, speculators, and  Moden age dealers, will be upset but if the smart ones knew the spike (modern bubble) would not last forever

Just so I understand correctly, you want people to lose money . . . so you can get your comic books back quicker?

On 1/22/2022 at 1:31 PM, Chaz G. said:

Just so I understand correctly, you want people to lose money . . . so you can get your comic books back quicker?

Never stated that!

However sure yes I think that will be great.  I've no sympathy for flippers, speculators or those jumpin' on comics band wagon for fast buck.  

Yep I am cranky BUT whether i want it to be the case or not is of zero relevance!  Market conditions will dictate who wins and who losses. Those sending in mid grade ASM361's thinking they had stuck gold probably never belonged in hobby to begin with.  I ask you a question do think ultimately flippers of books like Eternals 1 or ASM 361 in 8.5, 9.0, 9.2. 9.4 at high mark-ups have truly helped the hobby in the long term and if so how?? Or did they merely help themselves only.  If you feel the later then we agree.

While Flippers, Speculators and Hot book de jour Hyping dealers will always exist in the hobby a well deserved pruning will take place as Supply and Demand reigns supreme which eventually it always does

Edited by MAR1979

Economy TaT now at 195 days!!!

:cry::wavingwhiteflag::sorry:

I just want my books back and then no submissions for me until this mess gets straightened out.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, joeypost said:

We are just beginning to experience whatever pains the acquisition will create. I am assuming experts will be brought in to look at processes and whatever training is, or isn’t happening. Where the bottlenecks really are and then what can be done to correct/eliminate them. 

According to the press release they sent out a couple of months back they already hired efficiency experts to analyze processes, reduce waste, etc., and the impact of those changes was supposed to be seen as soon as December 2021. The press release presumably contained a typo and meant to state December 2031.

A key is a key, not everyone can afford a 9.8 for 600$, there are buyers at every level, if some people can only pay 200$ for an ASM 361 in 9.0 then why poopoo it? Most people like Carnage, but most people don’t have 600$ lying around…

Now a 4.5 Logan’s Run #1, that’s a different story…

On 1/22/2022 at 7:42 PM, dikran1 said:

A key is a key, not everyone can afford a 9.8 for 600$, there are buyers at every level, if some people can only pay 200$ for an ASM 361 in 9.0 then why poopoo it? Most people like Carnage, but most people don’t have 600$ lying around…

Now a 4.5 Logan’s Run #1, that’s a different story…

Was the logan's run 1 pressed before cause if not I bet you could make it a 5.5!

On 1/23/2022 at 12:29 PM, Devin Colman said:

So 163 business days and counting for my arrived June 1st, rec 8/3 submission, still in GEI

Who else still has submissions not back yet under the "really old" pricing?

I do and it’s still in Scheduled for Grading 🤬