• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

they make money on grading comics, hence the more comics submitted the more money they make

they aren't making any money on slabs sitting in collections

The customers buying the slabs are driving the submissions. If the product did not have any market value, there would be no submissions. The better the product, the better the sales, higher prices, more submissions. Show me a dealer that would still submit if he had no customers. It behooves CGC to produce a quality product. (thumbs u

Everyone was complaining about TAT's. CGC hires more staff, improves the TAT, and now there are complaints about the grading, suggesting it may be the new graders. Maybe CGC should just skip the grading and just encapsulate all books as 9.8 . Problem solved. The problem here is most are submitting books to flip, counting on the 9.8 for the bottom line. I believe CGC's long term success depends on the collectors that purchases their product, not the people that submit. I trust they understand that. Keep grading tight CGC !

That's the problem? Really? I get it, you don't do that and you look at those that do with disdain that they are "ruining" your hobby.

I don't look at those that submit to flip with disdain. I could care less. They are not ruining the hobby for me or anyone else. I just commented on all the complaining going on here. If someone gets a 9.6 they are immediately blaming CGC, taking no responsibility themselves. I just don't believe it. CGC is grading the book in front of them, if it's not 9.8 then so be it.

So you'd have no problem whatsoever with resubbing a bunch of your 9.8s and watch them come back 9.6s? Because I can pretty much guarantee you that that's what going to happen if you send in books right now.

Nobody's disputing that tight grading isn't a good thing - when it veers into actual undergrading, however, it becomes just as much of a problem as when CGC is being too loose.

Everyone was complaining about TAT's. CGC hires more staff, improves the TAT, and now there are complaints about the grading, suggesting it may be the new graders. Maybe CGC should just skip the grading and just encapsulate all books as 9.8 . Problem solved. The problem here is most are submitting books to flip, counting on the 9.8 for the bottom line. I believe CGC's long term success depends on the collectors that purchases their product, not the people that submit. I trust they understand that. Keep grading tight CGC !

That's the problem? Really? I get it, you don't do that and you look at those that do with disdain that they are "ruining" your hobby.

I don't look at those that submit to flip with disdain. I could care less. They are not ruining the hobby for me or anyone else. I just commented on all the complaining going on here. If someone gets a 9.6 they are immediately blaming CGC, taking no responsibility themselves. I just don't believe it. CGC is grading the book in front of them, if it's not 9.8 then so be it.

So you'd have no problem whatsoever with resubbing a bunch of your 9.8s and watch them come back 9.6s? Because I can pretty much guarantee you that that's what going to happen if you send in books right now.

Nobody's disputing that tight grading isn't a good thing - when it veers into actual undergrading, however, it becomes just as much of a problem as when CGC is being too loose.

Michael, greetings. Historically, I have been critical of CGC's grading, especially during the shrinkage and spine realignment discussions. I have always been told, sometimes by you, that CGC is grading the book in front of them. They don't know the history of the book, what it was previously graded, etc. How is your situation any different? You are resubbing your 9.8's for SS. CGC doesn't know what the previous grade was. While I am not resubbing, just straight new submissions, personally I don't have a problem and I don't consider myself to be a spot on grader. If I miss something, they seem to be catching it. I think this is a good thing. Sorry to disappoint.

Edited by bomber-bob

My Long Beach Comic Expo books (MFT SS) moved from Graded to Shipped over night.

Are they working after hours? Kinda weird that this would happen so late unless they're working over time.

As for the grades, they were horrible. I thought that most if not all of the books were 9.8, but I only received 7 9.8s out of 18 books. Ugh!

My Long Beach Comic Expo books (MFT SS) moved from Graded to Shipped over night.

Are they working after hours? Kinda weird that this would happen so late unless they're working over time.

As for the grades, they were horrible. I thought that most if not all of the books were 9.8, but I only received 7 9.8s out of 18 books. Ugh!

Could be an instance where they are going so fast the data entry people are now behind and having to quickly catch up and skipping over a couple inputs stages. From graded to shipped over night is not something I've seen before. My 13 books are still at verified after 8 days - they better get their act together :grin:

Consistent is better than tight or loose.

Makes sense...in my mind the issue is not that it's harder to get a 9.8 at the moment, it's more that the standards needle is obviously moving a bit back and forth as the years pass. Now when you pick up a 9.8 you need context around the grading era to know what kind of 9.8 you actually have. Maybe CVA stickers will make a comeback :insane:

Consistent is better than tight or loose.

Makes sense...in my mind the issue is not that it's harder to get a 9.8 at the moment, it's more that the standards needle is obviously moving a bit back and forth as the years pass. Now when you pick up a 9.8 you need context around the grading era to know what kind of 9.8 you actually have. Maybe CVA stickers will make a comeback :insane:

I find their grading to finally be accurate again right now. The submissions I have received since December are much tighter than it was for most of 2015 (and 2014 for that matter) which was great to see. The problem right now is that due to the issues over the past two years the market has had to accept that loose grading is the norm, rather than the exception.

Edited by kimik

I got 12 books back today and the grading was VERY tough. Very tough.

However the turnaround time was record time for me and I submit all my books at the slowest tier.

At 53 days that is a full 2 weeks faster than my last batch, and 63 days faster than my worst batch. This is a huge improvement and the faster they grade 'em, the faster I will submit 'em!

In fairness, I need to make a correction to my earlier post. I got 12 books back this week and the grades were SPOT ON. They were not tough. There were a few spots that I just plain missed before I submitted the books.

Still the best, most consistent, and trusted grading company.

Hopefully, this is a funny story, I know I can laugh about it now. No embellishment, absolutely true. I had a 4 figure book that I submitted raw and it got a 9.2 . Years later, the book got a massage and was resubbed. It got a 9.6, however, IMO it did not look like a 9.6,I thought it looked better as a 9.2.

Now here's the 'crazy' part, I sent the book back to CGC with a note saying I thought the book was overgraded and to please evaluate. Anyway, I got the book back from CGC pretty quickly, no note, just the book as is. Eventually, I sold the book and later, during the soft grading period of 2011ish, I saw it in auction as a 9.8 . I have no idea what the moral of this story is, other than I like my books tightly graded. BTW, if Jaydog reads this, the book had White pages through all 3 grade iterations !

Hopefully, this is a funny story, I know I can laugh about it now. No embellishment, absolutely true. I had a 4 figure book that I submitted raw and it got a 9.2 . Years later, the book got a massage and was resubbed. It got a 9.6, however, IMO it did not look like a 9.6,I thought it looked better as a 9.2.

Now here's the 'crazy' part, I sent the book back to CGC with a note saying I thought the book was overgraded and to please evaluate. Anyway, I got the book back from CGC pretty quickly, no note, just the book as is. Eventually, I sold the book and later, during the soft grading period of 2011ish, I saw it in auction as a 9.8 . I have no idea what the moral of this story is, other than I like my books tightly graded. BTW, if Jaydog reads this, the book had White pages through all 3 grade iterations !

Well, funny, and a little disconcerting I guess hm

Modern Fast Track - 13 Books

Received 3/3

Verified 3/4

Scheduled for grading 3/12

Looking good to have them shipped by the end of the week.

Modern Fast Track - 13 Books

Received 3/3

Verified 3/4

Scheduled for grading 3/12

Looking good to have them shipped by the end of the week.

Still stuck at scheduled for grading since the 12th. Maybe they got a rush of books after the couple comic cons at the end of last month.

Sample of different tiers:

Standard

Rec 2/12/2016

Shipped 3/4/2016

9 books

Economy FT

Rec 2/12/2016

Shipped 3/11/2016

2 books

Modern FT

Rec 2/5/2016

Shipped 2/25/2016

9 books

Modern

Rec 1/18/2016

Shipped 3/8/2016

5 books

Economy

Rec 12/11/2015

Shipped 3/2/2016

5 books

So since it was being discussed, my 5 book economy grades were as such.

Book 1. My grade 5.0, CGC 5.5

Book 2 My grade 3.0, CGC 2.5 (now has popped staple...)

Book 3 My grade 6.0, CGC 6.5

None of those books had been pressed.

Book 1 My Grade 5.5, CGC 6.5 (I detracted more for some ink smudge, GA EC)

Book 2 My Grade 6.5, CGC 7.5

Those books are both GA and I probably just am not as familiar as I am with SA to Modern.

My results are not showing harsh grading, but right on point.