• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

Are you really going to play that game?

How do you know that new defects were not introduced?

Because I'm a decent 'amateur' grader. ;)

Do you consider yourself a professional grader?

I am not being a d ick. Curious on your own opinion about yourself.

Do you consider yourself a professional d|ck, or is it just natural? Curious, bro.

:takeit:

Since you use words such as "Bro," do you also wear Affliction attire?

Or maybe some of you guys are just not professional graders? (shrug)

The difference between a professional and an amateur is that the professional gets paid for their work.

I have gotten back 200 books since Xmas and things seem very consistent to me.

I had a fellow boardie complain about his grades last month. He cracked them out and showed them to me which he then after admitted what he missed. He went from frustrated with CGC to mad at himself. Mistakes of course happen on both sides, but more often than not the submitter failed to see something the professionals saw.

How about when a book is resubmitted and it comes back in a lower grade with no new defects introduced?

Where does that stand in your opinion?

According to cgc customer service it's impossible to resubmit a book without it being damaged while opening the slab. Also, you're exaggerating.

Wait... I'm sorry what? When did they say this?

Especially when it comes to the Modern tier the standards have been the same since day 1.

I have NEVER seen deviation on the Modern tier grading in the 12 years I have submitting books.

I would be rich by now for every time I had to show one of you guys in person the obvious flaws you missed.

Over X-mas even I called on an invoice and thought my grades were off....then I got my rejects and I called the grader right away to apologize for me missing obvious flaws and wasting their time going back over the invoice.

That's crazy talk, John.

The 2009-2010 period was the loosest CGC has ever been on moderns - books with 4, 5, 6 visible defects were coming back in CGC 9.8 holders. And none of those books would ever come back 9.8 today if they were resubbed.

Especially when it comes to the Modern tier the standards have been the same since day 1.

I have NEVER seen deviation on the Modern tier grading in the 12 years I have submitting books.

I would be rich by now for every time I had to show one of you guys in person the obvious flaws you missed.

Over X-mas even I called on an invoice and thought my grades were off....then I got my rejects and I called the grader right away to apologize for me missing obvious flaws and wasting their time going back over the invoice.

That's crazy talk, John.

The 2009-2010 period was the loosest CGC has ever been on moderns - books with 4, 5, 6 visible defects were coming back in CGC 9.8 holders. And none of those books would ever come back 9.8 today if they were resubbed.

Fair enough.

However would you say their grading standards have changed though?

I do not think so.

Part of my conversation yesterday when inquiring about new grading standards. This was in response to my question about down graded re-subs.

I have a feeling that was just some guy in customer service talking out of his arse because he couldn't give you a better answer.

The difference between a professional and an amateur is that the professional gets paid for their work.

I had a fellow boardie complain about his grades last month. He cracked them out and showed them to me which he then after admitted what he missed. He went from frustrated with CGC to mad at himself. Mistakes of course happen on both sides, but more often than not the submitter failed to see something the professionals saw.

How about when a book is resubmitted and it comes back in a lower grade with no new defects introduced?

According to cgc customer service it's impossible to resubmit a book without it being damaged while opening the slab. Also, you're exaggerating.

Hi,

I'm sorry do you know who you would have spoken to you that told you that? I'm the customer service manager here and I know for a fact that we can crack out books without there being any damage. Maybe there was some confusion in the conversation.

Edited by Bree

Hi,

I'm sorry do you know who you would have spoken to you that told you that? I'm the customer service manager here and I know for a fact that we can crack out books without their being any damage. Maybe there was some confusion in the conversation

:popcorn: I had a feeling that it wasn't exactly policy to say that... mainly because it isn't true

I hate when I'm driving and a thread like this happens

Driveless cars will make the chat forum more engaging.

Part of my conversation yesterday when inquiring about new grading standards. This was in response to my question about down graded re-subs.

I have a feeling that was just some guy in customer service talking out of his arse because he couldn't give you a better answer.

Absolutely, it was just very frustrating to not get an actual answer. Please excuse the tongue in cheek if it didn't translate.

That's crazy talk, John.

Fair enough.

I do not think so.

Doesn't the above from mschmidt -- which it seems like you agree with -- mean their standards changed? And actually changed at least 2 times -- from normal to "loose" back to "normal"?

Edited by manetteska

That's crazy talk, John.

Fair enough.

I do not think so.

I don't think their grading standards have changed, but I think the influx of new graders is what's causing the unreasonably tight grading.

If you're cracking a CGC 9.8 book for SS and taking every care to make sure it suffers no damage whilst being signed, it shouldn't be a 50/50 crapshoot whether it retains the 9.8 grade or not - and that's exactly what I've been seeing for about a year & half now.

Fast Track Economy:

Received - 2/12/16

Scheduled for Grading - 3/3/16

Graded - 3/7/16

Shipped Safe - 3/10/16

For what it's worth, I was hoping for and half-expecting higher grades. But I couldn't with a clear conscience say that CGC was too harsh on the books. So based on this one insignificantly small submission of three bronze books and one EC, maybe the grading is a little tighter than it has been for the last few years.

And that's not to argue anyone's point about the importance of consistency. And like I mentioned, it's not enough books to draw any real conclusion. Just a half-azzed observation.

Absolutely, it was just very frustrating to not get an actual answer. Please excuse the tongue in cheek if it didn't translate.

I find it insanely hard to believe that any CGC customer service rep would tell you that books couldn't get cracked out without them suffering damage. CGC employees crack a ton of books at every show they attend.

Are you really going to play that game?

How do you know that new defects were not introduced?

Because I'm a decent 'amateur' grader. ;)

People pay me for my opinion about their comic book grades, so I guess that makes me a professional.

hm

That's crazy talk, John.

Fair enough.

I do not think so.

So Schmidt says it, and it's "fair enough", but I say it, it holds no water...?

;)

Hi,

I'm sorry do you know who you would have spoken to you that told you that? I'm the customer service manager here and I know for a fact that we can crack out books without their being any damage. Maybe there was some confusion in the conversation

Hi Bree.

I recently called in to get some grades, on an invoice that was at "Grading/QC", which is where we have been able to call in and get grades for the last, say, four years or so....I forget when the changeover happened...but I called in the other day, and was told grades weren't available on an invoice by a gentleman whose name I did not get.

So, there's some confusion about policy.

Oh, and Mollie needs a raise.

Thanks! :)