• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

I don't think their grading standards have changed, but I think the influx of new graders is what's causing the unreasonably tight grading.

If you're cracking a CGC 9.8 book for SS and taking every care to make sure it suffers no damage whilst being signed, it shouldn't be a 50/50 crapshoot whether it retains the 9.8 grade or not - and that's exactly what I've been seeing for about a year & half now.

I think a novice cracking their books out has a very good chance at damaging their books while handling them.

But I make a living from buying high grade books, handling them, shipping them and submitting them.

I've handled, shipped and submitted literally 1000's of 9.8 copies. I know what a 9.8 looks like, and they don't end up all damaged and dinged up from the time I purchase them to the time I submit them. Some admittedly might, but for the most part? No.

I don't understand. If CGC sees a flaw that holds the grade down, what do you want them to do?

Grade that flaw like they have always graded that flaw, not tighter than they have always graded that flaw. Tight grading isn't the issue, changing grading standards is the issue. (thumbs u

This, this, this.

No no no

No standards have been changed.

Sorry, SOT, but I've got several hundred slabs that tell differently.

And it's not that standards have "changed", per se...it's that new, inexperienced graders don't understand what they're looking at. "Rippling/warping", for example, is not an issue for a book like, say, X-Men #94. It IS an issue, however, for Silver Surfer #42, or X-Men #282, or any of a number of books that all came from the printer that way.

No offense intended, but you aren't detail-oriented enough to care about spelling, grammar, and punctuation...simple things on a message board, which you have openly scoffed as "not important"....and I'm not degrading you, you don't have to be....but you can't then expect to challenge those who are about as anal as it gets.

The devil is ALWAYS in the details.

Certain production flaws have not counted against grading in the past, like small bindery tears on moderns.

If ripples in Marvel paper or printer-grab or bindery-tears are NOW being counted against the grade..... that's is definitely going to negatively affect the number of submissions.

And it shouldn't - speeding up the process should NOT introduce stricter grading criteria!

I got 12 books back today and the grading was VERY tough. Very tough.

However the turnaround time was record time for me and I submit all my books at the slowest tier.

At 53 days that is a full 2 weeks faster than my last batch, and 63 days faster than my worst batch. This is a huge improvement and the faster they grade 'em, the faster I will submit 'em!

Everyone was complaining about TAT's. CGC hires more staff, improves the TAT, and now there are complaints about the grading, suggesting it may be the new graders. Maybe CGC should just skip the grading and just encapsulate all books as 9.8 . Problem solved. The problem here is most are submitting books to flip, counting on the 9.8 for the bottom line. I believe CGC's long term success depends on the collectors that purchases their product, not the people that submit. I trust they understand that. Keep grading tight CGC !

Everyone was complaining about TAT's. CGC hires more staff, improves the TAT, and now there are complaints about the grading, suggesting it may be the new graders. Maybe CGC should just skip the grading and just encapsulate all books as 9.8 . Problem solved. The problem here is most are submitting books to flip, counting on the 9.8 for the bottom line. I believe CGC's long term success depends on the collectors that purchases their product, not the people that submit. I trust they understand that. Keep grading tight CGC !

That's the problem? Really? I get it, you don't do that and you look at those that do with disdain that they are "ruining" your hobby. I understand that point of view, I really do, even though I don't share it. But it's the people submitting with the intent to flip that are keeping CGC in business. Not the collectors that lock up books in their private collection for years. If it wasn't for the people that buy raw and submit for a flip "counting on the 9.8" how many people would be submitting? The entire concept of third party grading is centered on selling those graded books. How many people do you really think slab just so the books will look pretty in their shiny new cases to sit in the closet for the next 20 years?

Oh, just to add... why shouldn't we want both faster TAT's and consistency in how they grade? We are paying them money for this service are we not? I don't think it's "feeling entitled" to want what you are paying for.

But they aren't mutually exclusive problems, Bob. Bad TATs and inconsistent grading are both problems. Sacrificing consistent grading for improved TATs isn't the answer. If something must be sacrificed, I'll vote for the TATs.

And what about people who don't fit either of your two scenarios? CGC's longterm success depends on books being submitted to them, regardless of why they are submitted. If I can't afford to submit because the two copies I submitted, one to keep and one to sell to pay for the two of them, and one gets a 9.8, while the other gets a 9.4 because of an issue they didn't use to consider a problem....I can't submit more.

That's the problem? Really? I get it, you don't do that and you look at those that do with disdain that they are "ruining" your hobby.

I don't look at those that submit to flip with disdain. I could care less. They are not ruining the hobby for me or anyone else. I just commented on all the complaining going on here. If someone gets a 9.6 they are immediately blaming CGC, taking no responsibility themselves. I just don't believe it. CGC is grading the book in front of them, if it's not 9.8 then so be it.

Edited by bomber-bob

I believe CGC's long term success depends on the collectors that purchases their product, not the people that submit.

:facepalm:

Okay Mr FacePalm, from what University do you have your Business Degree from ? You honestly don't believe that the customers that ultimately purchase the product don't matter to the success of a company, any company ? (shrug)

I believe CGC's long term success depends on the collectors that purchases their product, not the people that submit.

:facepalm:

Okay Mr FacePalm, from what University do you have your Business Degree from ? You honestly don't believe that the customers that ultimately purchase the product don't matter to the success of a company, any company ? (shrug)

I think he was disagreeing that the end buyer is the most important factor. I, too, would argue that their most important group is those directly submitting.

That's the problem? Really? I get it, you don't do that and you look at those that do with disdain that they are "ruining" your hobby.

I don't look at those that submit to flip with disdain. I could care less. They are not ruining the hobby for me or anyone else. I just commented on all the complaining going on here. If someone gets a 9.6 they are immediately blaming CGC, taking no responsibility themselves. I just don't believe it. CGC is grading the book in front of them, if it's not 9.8 then so be it.

Some people know what is a solid 9.8, what is a "9.7", and what is a 9.6.

When a 9.8 comes back a 9.6....or a 9.4...that's a problem, and it has nothing to do with "taking responsibility for myself."

When a "9.7" comes back a 9.6, that's fine, that's the risk you take, and accept it.

When a 9.6 comes back a 9.8, which didn't use to be all that rare, hey, yay.

But to those who do this on a regular basis, it's not at all difficult to tell between them, and these aren't frivolous complaints.

Typical sub for me, before last year:

39 books subbed for SS. 32 9.8s, 7 9.6s.

It's not an unlearnable skill.