• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, wombat said:

I wonder what the dollar value of books sitting in CGC's possession at the moment is. :ohnoez: Which then makes me wonder what safety systems they have in place if there is a fire. Do they have one of those fancy systems that doesn't just rain water down that would potentially ruin the book?

Did everyone just have to agree to the new "Services Terms and Conditions"?  I was prompted to agree on Friday before I could login to the CGC site.  This was an interesting nugget:

Customer assumes all risk of loss or damage to collectibles until collectibles are received and inspected by Company.

I ship my book with USPS.  So their insurance covers my books until they are delivered.  If CGC starts covering the books once they are "inspected", are customers on the hook in the meantime?  The way I read this is that between Delivery and Received, I assume all risk of loss or damage until CGC marks them as Received.   How do you all interpret this?

Edited by lonetree

11 minutes ago, lonetree said:

Did everyone just have to agree to the new "Services Terms and Conditions"?  I was prompted to agree on Friday before I could login to the CGC site.  This was an interesting nugget:

Customer assumes all risk of loss or damage to collectibles until collectibles are received and inspected by Company.

I ship my book with USPS.  So their insurance covers my books until they are delivered.  If CGC starts covering the books once they are "inspected", are customers on the hook in the meantime?  The way I read this is that between Delivery and Received, I assume all risk of loss or damage until CGC marks them as Received.   How do you all interpret this?

Yikes. 

42 minutes ago, lonetree said:

Lol CGC wins again, they said y’all can make all the “ CGC damaged my comic” YouTube videos you want, you already signed the agreement, suck it.  Every single one of my comics could come back jacked up, now they will say it happened before they inspected them.  

1 minute ago, wombat said:

The inevitable next step is charging us a storage fee. 

The storage fee is the value of the book hitting the next value tier because the book has run up since the time you submitted it for grading :facepalm:

But on a serious note, can you even get insurance for a book that you don't even have in your possession? Looks like we need to cover them ourselves from the time it is delivered to the time it is inspected. 

27 minutes ago, wombat said:

But on a serious note, can you even get insurance for a book that you don't even have in your possession? Looks like we need to cover them ourselves from the time it is delivered to the time it is inspected. 

Until it is their possession your own private insurance should cover them. I use CIS. They also cover shipping insurance to and from.( Which also works for sales and purchases.  )

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Until it is their possession your own private insurance should cover them. I use CIS. They also cover shipping insurance to and from.( Which also works for sales and purchases.  )

But it is in their possession. 

13 minutes ago, wombat said:

I brought this up once before when they reached a month to receive a book after delivery.  You can be sure no shipping company is going to take the blame for damages during shipping if CGC takes a month to open the package to inspect it.  

And if you ship with Fedex or UPS and get a signature on delivery I'm pretty sure that would hold up as it being in their possession.

Edited by SeanYork

7 minutes ago, wombat said:

With that disclaimer stating that "until they are received and inspected " that would mean until they go through that process technically they are not. Otherwise the entire statement would be null/void and their insurance would still be liable. 

It is just one of those statements they are trying to use to limit liability, but if it came down to it the lawyers would have to decide.  

2 minutes ago, SeanYork said:

I brought this up once before when they reached a month to receive a book after delivery.  You can be sure no shipping company is going to take the blame for damages during shipping if CGC takes a month to open the package to inspect it.  

20210524_194159.jpg.3d5c44ab6960779d3557c0436a312139.jpg

Just now, wombat said:

Well, that isn't exactly reassuring. 

I understand and agree, but that would be the most extreme case. Most would never have to make it that far or truly be worth the expense. CGC would not want it to get that far either.  It would be a PR mess. It would be cheaper to offer credit, etc. Which they usually do. Just the same they are a business and want to keep any damage or loses to a minimum so they will try to offer the least acceptable terms.

This blanket statement they issued is mainly for those that think they have 9.8's and 10's that really are not, then want to say they damaged them and try to demand compensation.  It is purely mitigation. 

16 hours ago, skybolt said:

Finally some movement. My 12/21 quick press submission has been received by CGC. It took about 106 business days.

These books just went to SFG this morning. I'm hoping they get graded a lot sooner, similar to my other batch (took 7 business days after SFG). As I've noted before, it appears that CGC expedites grading for books with long CCS wait times. I also think it takes a couple of weeks for books to get officially received by CGC after getting pressed. This is likely included with the total TAT.