• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

No way would I spend $3500 on this book simply cause it's a cool cover, much rather have some early Marvel/DC silver age instead.

All a matter of preference.

...and budget.

and brains . . . :screwy:

No way would I spend $3500 on this book simply cause it's a cool cover, much rather have some early Marvel/DC silver age instead.

...and budget.

More useless trolling from the divad section of the peanut gallery. meh

It will be interesting to see where this 9.4 ends at. Haven't seen a graded copy auctioned in a while.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-678-HTF-VARIANT-Cover-CGC-9-4-White-Pages-MARY-JANE-as-VENOM-/381569707232?hash=item58d753ace0:g:C90AAOSwll1Ww3HB

-J.

...and budget.

I don't really question how people choose to spend their funds.

I assume if people are spending 3k and up on comic books, they must have successful careers, have high paying jobs or just have the cash to pay for a luxury item. Comics are no different than other luxury goods. People buy a mercedes or BMW as their daily drivers. Sure you can just get a smart car , but some people don't want to drive smart cars. lol

Edited by jreezy

...and budget.

I assume if people are spending 3k and up on comic books, they must be successful have successful careers, have high paying jobs or just have the cash to pay for a luxury item. Comics are no different than other luxury goods. People buy a mercedes or BMW as their daily drivers. Sure you can just get a smart car , but some people don't want to drive smart cars. lol

+1.

Yet if someone were to drop $3K on an SA book no one would bat an eye hm

Jerome

I think that is my biggest pet peeve when people comment on my instagram page saying " i would rather use that money on a Hulk 181 or a silver key, or OA". If you want a Hulk 181 , silver key or OA go on and use your money to buy that stuff. Why are you so worried about how I spend my money? lol

I already have a Hulk 181, some OA and some silver keys anyway. Just let me live.

BTW This is coming form a guy that does not own a 678 .

*rant over

...and budget.

I assume if people are spending 3k and up on comic books, they must be successful have successful careers, have high paying jobs or just have the cash to pay for a luxury item. Comics are no different than other luxury goods. People buy a mercedes or BMW as their daily drivers. Sure you can just get a smart car , but some people don't want to drive smart cars. lol

+1.

Jerome

Remember the Valiant books :preach:

...and budget.

+1.

Jerome

Every comic book age has its "grails". (thumbs u

-J.

...and budget.

+1.

Jerome

I sure do, IIRC all comic books dropped in value. So it's not like those 'safe' SA books didn't drop in value. Point is, imo, MA run the same risk of crashing like every other book no matter the age.

Jerome

I sure do, IIRC all comic books dropped in value. So it's not like those 'safe' SA books didn't drop in value. Point is, imo, MA run the same risk of crashing like every other book no matter the age.

Jerome

not really, but ok

...and budget.

+1.

Jerome

Jerome

Just as with the Batman 608RRP thread it is quite entertaining re-visiting the similar naysaying that happened in the early parts of this thread. :roflmao:

-J.

*Hey, I just hit "Total Newbie". :banana:

Edited by Jaydogrules

...and budget.

+1.

Jerome

Jerome

Just as with the Batman 608RRP thread it is quite entertaining re-visiting the similar naysaying that happened in the early parts of this thread. :roflmao:

-J.

It's fun to read that old batman RRP thread. Some posts were from 13 years ago. Lots of salty boardies back then when an RRP sold for the insane price of $325. Here we 13 years later and there are still variant collectors that still want that book

...and budget.

+1.

Jerome

Jerome

-J.

It's fun to read that old batman RRP thread. Some posts were from 13 years ago. Lots of salty boardies back then when an RRP sold for the insane price of $325. Here we 13 years later and there are still variant collectors that still want that book

The market is much larger, with many more dollars in it, than it was in 2003.

We are on a bull run, and have been for quite some time.

Bull runs don't last forever.

The point isn't "you should spend your money on what I TELL you to spend your money on."

The point is: be careful. Yes, Silver Age did withdraw a bit in the late 90's, as everything else did. But nothing crashed as hard as the "rare" variants and other books that people spent hundreds of dollars on only a short time before.

And the keys...most of Golden and the big Silver...didn't withdraw at all. And...CGC skewed the market in ways that most people don't understand.

But consider this example: Aria was one of the hottest books in 1999. People were spending $50+ on the sketchbooks, $100 on the gold linen variant.

They're still rare. In fact, today, they're even rarer. There were still only 1,000 (or so) of the Aria gold linen sketchbooks made, and about 200 of them were damaged (according to Jimmy Jay.)

What are they worth now?

$10? $5?

Still rare. Still very hard to find.

But the public's interest moved on.

If you didn't live through the early and mid 90's as a collector, you're not going to have that perspective. No one is trying to be "down" on anyone and what they like. If you like it, and have the money, go nuts!

What people are saying is just to go into it with eyes wide open. That's all.

Understand that the book you're paying $3,000 for today, you may not be able to get $100 for in 5 years.

...and budget.

+1.

Jerome

Jerome

-J.

This thread goes back to 2012, just months after the book came out. It has been a highly sought after , pricey modern since virtually the beginning.

That would probably explain why, in just four years of release, it has been reprinted (twice), homaged (twice) and poster-ized (once). lol

-J.

Jerome

not really, but ok

And this is totally accurate: Not really. These modern age books are like the junk bonds of the 80's...extremely high risk. People, even after the crash, still wanted FF #1. Nobody wanted, after the crash, Unity #0 Red. And there are more FF #1s in existence than Unity #0 Reds.

(And I suspect the people still looking for that book...myself included...perhaps numbered fewer than 100 nationwide.)