• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

I think everyone who works for Marvel or working for Marvel Comics distributors got a complimentary copy. It's highly likely I think. If it is true, that should be around 500 copies handed out

Then where are they? Marvel does that with "some" books perhaps. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that happened with this book, however, because it was not a covention book. (thumbs u

-J.

Maybe they are collectors too like we are so why should they sell if they can get it for free?

I think everyone who works for Marvel or working for Marvel Comics distributors got a complimentary copy. It's highly likely I think. If it is true, that should be around 500 copies handed out

Then where are they? Marvel does that with "some" books perhaps. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that happened with this book, however, because it was not a covention book. (thumbs u

-J.

Maybe they are collectors too like we are so why should they sell if they can get it for free?

Again, what is with the sudden obsession with all speculation trying to find copies of this book where there are and never were any ? lol

Tell you what, anybody find a case of these books somewhere in the next 20 years, please feel free to PM me first. (thumbs u

In the meantime it will be interesting to see how things ultimately turn out with the 100 or so copies that we actually have first hand knowledge of.

-J.

Or maybe they have a contract that if they work under Marvel that they cannot sell whatever complimentary comic book they receive. Just speculating, unsure of course but definitely a legit possibility.

Oh and I say this about all modern books like WD 1, Wolverine/Deadpool Campbell variant, etc that I would never pay the crazy money people are paying for them right now. I'd rather out it towards a GA, SA, or BA key because they have proven time and time again that it is the better buy for the money.

Wow. You just keep repeating yourself hoping it's true. Where was RMA "far fetched"? Do you think FF was selling well? There are considerably more substantiated facts pointing to a larger print run than you imply. Your constant refusal to accept anything but suggestions of a lower print is mind boggling.

Neither you nor RMA have presented any actual "fact".

The "fact" is there are only 92 copies of this book on the census even after 3.5 years, and a book that has consistently sold for a high dollar since its release.

The "fact" is that its high dollar value is partly due to its rarity, both in high grade, in the census, and its availability on the market.

The "fact" is that ASM sales were half then what they are now, so not many retailers were blowing up their orders to qualify for this variant.

The "fact" is that there are other high dollar moderns with comparable estimated print runs (500) that have even more slabbed copies accounted for than this one (wolverine 1, siege 3 campbell).

Those are the "facts".

Here now is what you and RMA have speculated about:

You have speculated that there is a warehouse full of copies of this book.

You have speculated that there are low census numbers only because people aren't bothering to slab this high dollar book.

You have speculated that marvel may some day sell "extra copies" of this book for $5.

You have speculated that marvel over-printed this book even in a down Spidey market because....well, just because. Contrary to your opinion on the matter, Marvel has, on many, many occasions, printed much less than 1000 copies of a variant. To suggest or state otherwise is pure nonsense.

I think that just about covers it. (thumbs u

-J.

I guess that must be a fact. :eyeroll:

Which issues? Prove it.

Prove the SOP? See Valiant's post. Is an exception ever more likely than the standard?

Oh, I see Jaydog bolded something, too. But I was specifically referring to the part I bolded in the post I chose to quote.

:shy:

Wow. You just keep repeating yourself hoping it's true. Where was RMA "far fetched"? Do you think FF was selling well? There are considerably more substantiated facts pointing to a larger print run than you imply. Your constant refusal to accept anything but suggestions of a lower print is mind boggling.

The "fact" is there are only 92 copies of this book on the census even after 3.5 years, and a book that has consistently sold for a high dollar since its release.

The "fact" is that its high dollar value is partly due to its rarity, both in high grade, in the census, and its availability on the market.

The "fact" is that ASM sales were half then what they are now, so not many retailers were blowing up their orders to qualify for this variant.

The "fact" is that there are other high dollar moderns with comparable estimated print runs (500) that have even more slabbed copies accounted for than this one (wolverine 1, siege 3 campbell).

Those are the "facts".

You have speculated that there are low census numbers only because people aren't bothering to slab this high dollar book.

You have speculated that marvel may some day sell "extra copies" of this book for $5.

You have speculated that marvel over-printed this book even in a down Spidey market because....well, just because. Contrary to your opinion on the matter, Marvel has, on many, many occasions, printed much less than 1000 copies of a variant. To suggest or state otherwise is pure nonsense.

I think that just about covers it. (thumbs u

-J.

I guess that must be a fact. :eyeroll:

Which issues? Prove it.

Prove the SOP? See Valiant's post. Is an exception ever more likely than the standard?

No, of course not. Which is why this book and only a handful of other moderns consistently sell for major dollar signs. (thumbs u

-J.

I thought we were talking print run? (shrug)

This isn't true, despite your repetition of it.

See above.

You are misusing the census in a way that it cannot be used. The census will only ever tell us what DOES exist, not what MIGHT exist. It is an error to assume that, because it's not on the census, it therefore doesn't exist.

True. No one has disputed that.

As stated before, none of that has any bearing on the print run of an incentive.

Please provide proof of the print runs for these examples. Diamond, Marvel, anything that would prove that these numbers are what you say they are.

Those are the "facts".

That is not true. It is a mischaracterization of what has been said, for effect.

Nobody suggested there was a "warehouse full of copies of this book."

What was said was there MIGHT be (not IS) a SOME in a warehouse.

That is substantially different from speculating that there IS a "warehouse full" of copies of this book.

Again, not what was said. There's no need to speculate: there are "low census numbers" (relative to what? You don't say) because people don't bother to slab high dollar books. This is true, whether the book is the Mile High Action #1, or this book.

It is an error to believe that everybody/most/many people slab because they have a "high dollar book."

Therefore, a conclusion founded on that error, that "there aren't that many copies on the census", is also in error.

No one said that. Junk Donkey said Marvel HAS sold 1:50 and 1:100 (and many other) variants for $5. No one said they would sell THIS book for $5; but simply said it was possible, which it is.

Once again: incentive print runs aren't tied to regular print runs, and allocation numbers are not print run numbers.

Not only is it NOT "pure nonsense"...it's how Marvel operates.

I'm a bit biased and have never liked this cover.....but one point that supports jaydog's theory that these could have been under ordered by retailers (meaning they had little interest in padding orders to acquire variants) would be the poor past performance of any of this artist's previous BND villain variants....his Gauntlet and other BND ones weren't very well received and I'm pretty sure I got them all for cover or less.

Another thing that could have distracted retailers could have been the DC New52 launch.

(shrug)

I'm a bit biased and have never liked this cover.....but one point that supports jaydog's theory that these could have been under ordered by retailers (meaning they had little interest in padding orders to acquire variants) would be the poor past performance of any of this artist's previous BND villain variants....his Gauntlet and other BND ones weren't very well received and I'm pretty sure I got them all for cover or less.

Another thing that could have distracted retailers could have been the DC New52 launch.

(shrug)

Agreed but that would affect distribution and wouldn't validate a print run.

Disclaimer: I'm not hip to mystery print runs.

Is contacting Marvel or Harry Houdini or whoever ran the printer an option or do they under any circumstances never reveal these numbers? I personally see the logic in Marvel spending say $1000 to print 1000 copies rather than $750 to print 500, yet again not my world.

I think that's the bottom line, isn't it? Regardless of what the print run was and how the book was released/distributed, there aren't that many available NOW and people are paying insane money because they want it NOW. Will it crash someday for some reason (most likely a case found in a warehouse)? Yes, but that could be true with anything that commands this dollar amount, as has been pointed out by several people.

I think that's the bottom line, isn't it? Regardless of what the print run was and how the book was released/distributed, there aren't that many available NOW and people are paying insane money because they want it NOW. Will it crash someday for some reason (most likely a case found in a warehouse)? Yes, but that could be true with anything that commands this dollar amount, as has been pointed out by several people.

please lead me to this obscure warehouse thats holding various comic books and being paid by a millionaire hoarder(of valuable comic books)...

Edited by Snikt!1988