• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

I think that's the bottom line, isn't it? Regardless of what the print run was and how the book was released/distributed, there aren't that many available NOW and people are paying insane money because they want it NOW. Will it crash someday for some reason (most likely a case found in a warehouse)? Yes, but that could be true with anything that commands this dollar amount, as has been pointed out by several people.

please lead me to this obscure warehouse thats holding various comic books and being paid by a millionaire hoarder(of valuable comic books)...

lol Yes please do because, as of now, I have only heard of a mere handful of books of note in the history of comics where that has actually happened.

-J.

I think that's the bottom line, isn't it? Regardless of what the print run was and how the book was released/distributed, there aren't that many available NOW and people are paying insane money because they want it NOW. Will it crash someday for some reason (most likely a case found in a warehouse)? Yes, but that could be true with anything that commands this dollar amount, as has been pointed out by several people.

please lead me to this obscure warehouse thats holding various comic books and being paid by a millionaire hoarder(of valuable comic books)...

lol Yes please do because, as of now, I have only heard of a mere handful of books of note in the history of comics where that has actually happened.

-J.

Really? http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg65.html

Guys, hold up here! All I said was that it was possible...I do NOT think it's probable. :)
I can see it now(in a Stan Lee narrative pitch)... young Eisley Benton; son of billionaire

internet tycoon; Borris Benton... in a effort to control the rare comic book variant market... young Benton; employs a cast of minions worldwide... to hoard rare 1:50 variants from various LCS...

Guys, hold up here! All I said was that it was possible...I do NOT think it's probable. :)
I can see it now(in a Stan Lee narrative pitch)... young Eisley Benton; son of billionaire

internet tycoon; Borris Benton... in a effort to control the rare comic book variant market... young Benton; employs a cast of minions worldwide... to hoard rare 1:50 variants from various LCS...

...and just like that, the only two copies on ebay are gone.

Somebody better call "the warehouse" and authorize them to release another dozen or so copies to the marketplace. lol

-J.

Somebody better call "the warehouse" and authorize them to release another dozen or so copies to the marketplace. lol

-J.

when I go to my LCS today... I hope to god that young Eisley Bentons minions didn't get their hands on any variants... :o

http://www.diamondcomics.com/home/1/1/3/306

just called them... they close 1730 Eastern standard time...

Ill call them tomorrow; I want to pick up their back stock...

Ill let you guys know what happens...

Edited by Snikt!1988

Yes, and that's true whether the print run is one hundred or one million. On the supply side, marketplace availability is more relevant to prices than print runs. On the demand side, movie/TV hype is more relevant than anything!

Great news. I should have my copy in a couple days and it's going right up there. :)

Great news. I should have my copy in a couple days and it's going right up there. :)

:applause:

-J.

For 20 years it was estimated that there were under 100 copies remaining of the Sex Pistols "God Save The Queen" single on A&M Records that weren't destroyed at the record pressing plant. Several workers claimed to have taken dozens on top of what the execs and band management had, so the under 100 number is off.

Slowly more copies started popping up for sale as a small stack were found in A&M vaults and given to shareholders, a few turned up at yard sales of all places, once a year a copy hits the auction house and sells for $10K.

I always thought that when the Pistols' manager Malcolm McLaren died there's be a warehouse full of 25000 copies, making it the greatest rock n roll swindle, and he'd be laughing from the grave. Didn't happen.

Still, there's been about 50 copies "found" since the under 100 number was first reported, and it still is by the music press. Not that it's a big difference in copies, it's still the most desired punk record of all time for collectors who can afford it. YES I'd buy it if I had the money!

I guess my rambling point was that rare is rare and people are willing to pay, even if the print run numbers are a little higher than everyone thought

For 20 years it was estimated that there were under 100 copies remaining of the Sex Pistols "God Save The Queen" single on A&M Records that weren't destroyed at the record pressing plant. Several workers claimed to have taken dozens on top of what the execs and band management had, so the under 100 number is off.

Slowly more copies started popping up for sale as a small stack were found in A&M vaults and given to shareholders, a few turned up at yard sales of all places, once a year a copy hits the auction house and sells for $10K.

I always thought that when the Pistols' manager Malcolm McLaren died there's be a warehouse full of 25000 copies, making it the greatest rock n roll swindle, and he'd be laughing from the grave. Didn't happen.

Still, there's been about 50 copies "found" since the under 100 number was first reported, and it still is by the music press. Not that it's a big difference in copies, it's still the most desired punk record of all time for collectors who can afford it. YES I'd buy it if I had the money!

I guess my rambling point was that rare is rare and people are willing to pay, even if the print run numbers are a little higher than everyone thought

I didn't have as many details as you listed, but reading this thread made me think about that sex pistols record too.

Bottom line is, weigh the facts and your preferences (risk, reward, space, short-term vs long term financial and collecting goals), and act accordingly, and also know that there's no way to convince everyone that you're right.

Personally, I don't think there's THAT much more room to grow. Even though the number is limited, I would think we're nearing saturation point on people who DON'T have one that are willing to spend $1000+ to get one. To me there's a better chance that 50 high grade are submitted in the next 5 years than there is for there to be a Venom Mary Jane in a movie. So for me if I owned it purely for financial reasons, I'd be comfortable selling it. But if I was a collector who especially likes mary jane or spider man or venom or rare things or all of the above, then the personal value of owning it would also play a factor in my decision making.

I see no reason to actually prove anything most of the time. Even when I do, I don't prove what I think I'm proving. (thumbs u

-J.

Fixed.

meh

:gossip: RMA is that you ? lol

-J.

Jay, you make claims all the time that you never prove.

Much, much worse than that, you become dismissive and demeaning when others disagree with your assertions, while failing to provide any documentary evidence of your numbers.

Other people provide mountains of proof, of all sorts of things, and you reject it.

Just prove what you're claiming. That's all. If what you say is true, then you should be able to prove it, and easily, since clearly you have access to information.

That's all that's required.

Diamond invoices, Marvel orders, circulation officers, COAs, printer's affidavits...anything that will prove the print run of any of these books you're referring to.

Here's an example:

ultimate-spiderman-df-coa-330x500.jpg

That is documentary evidence that demonstrates that the print run for USM #1 DF was 5,000 copies. Now, it was probably more like 5,500, but it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Anything that is proof of the print run for the ASM #678 variant would be fine.

I didn't have as many details as you listed, but reading this thread made me think about that sex pistols record too.

Bottom line is, weigh the facts and your preferences (risk, reward, space, short-term vs long term financial and collecting goals), and act accordingly, and also know that there's no way to convince everyone that you're right.

Personally, I don't think there's THAT much more room to grow. Even though the number is limited, I would think we're nearing saturation point on people who DON'T have one that are willing to spend $1000+ to get one. To me there's a better chance that 50 high grade are submitted in the next 5 years than there is for there to be a Venom Mary Jane in a movie. So for me if I owned it purely for financial reasons, I'd be comfortable selling it. But if I was a collector who especially likes mary jane or spider man or venom or rare things or all of the above, then the personal value of owning it would also play a factor in my decision making.

+1

That's why I have one. :cloud9:

-J.

just called them... they close 1730 Eastern standard time...

Ill call them tomorrow; I want to pick up their back stock...

Ill let you guys know what happens...

Does diamond even own the stock or do they just inventory. So where do people think unsold inventory goes? Or do you live in a world where there is no excess inventory?

It's really obvious that there are a lot of people posting who really don't understand how the comic book industry works.

Diamond has bulk sales of unsold variants frequently. Where do people think those guys who set up at conventions with nothing but boxes and boxes of variants get them? They didn't order 10,000 copies of every book just to get 200 variants.

I see no reason to actually prove anything most of the time. Even when I do, I don't prove what I think I'm proving. (thumbs u

-J.

Fixed.

meh

:gossip: RMA is that you ? lol

-J.

Jay, you make claims all the time that you never prove.

Much, much worse than that, you become dismissive and demeaning when others disagree with your assertions, while failing to provide any documentary evidence of your numbers.

Other people provide mountains of proof, of all sorts of things, and you reject it.

Just prove what you're claiming. That's all. If what you say is true, then you should be able to prove it, and easily, since clearly you have access to information.

That's all that's required.

Diamond invoices, Marvel orders, circulation officers, COAs, printer's affidavits...anything that will prove the print run of any of these books you're referring to.

Here's an example:

ultimate-spiderman-df-coa-330x500.jpg

That is documentary evidence that demonstrates that the print run for USM #1 DF was 5,000 copies. Now, it was probably more like 5,500, but it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Anything that is proof of the print run for the ASM #678 variant would be fine.

I think everyone here knows (or should know) that retailer incentive variant numbers are not made public.

So I use the term "ESTIMATED print run". (thumbs u

And I do apologize if some of my statements seem flippant, but I do find this "controversy" to be rather spurious.

-J.