• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

No one has any lists to offer? I figured that 143k would chime in on MLJs, Nearmint on Nedors, and Bedrock and Parker on Timelys. And what about Fiction House? No updated opinions? :(

I haven't chimed in because I don't think there really are any rare MLJs--at least not at the level we are discussing here. In my experience the toughest Archie books to find are Pep 26, Pep 22, Pep 42, Pep 34 and Pep 41. I think the rarest Peps are probably 42-48. The earlier ones are just more likely to be locked up in people's collections rather than truly rare.

How about the early Blue Ribbons? It doesn't seem like issues 1-8 pop up very often. I can't imagine why not -- I'm sure Rang-A-Tang the Wonder Dog's cover appearances sold a lot of copies. :P

Nice Millie #2 btw.

Some of the harder to find Timelys are actually later numbers, though most every Timely superhero is available (widely so in comparison to the early D.C.s and Centaurs mentioned previously in this thread).

From my experience some of the harder to find issues, in no particular order...

Daring 2

USA 11

Sub-Mariner 31

Mystic 4

But you should also consider the early Timely funny animal books.

Try to put together a run of Terry-Toons 2 - 10. Comedy 11 and 12 have some crossover and are incredibly tough to locate. And there have been threads about Millie the Model 2.

Richard, how rare do you think Red Raven #1 is compared to the four books you listed? I always thought it was one of the tougher Timelys, despite the fact that there are 21 copies :o on the census.

Some of the harder to find Timelys are actually later numbers, though most every Timely superhero is available (widely so in comparison to the early D.C.s and Centaurs mentioned previously in this thread).

Daring 2

USA 11

Sub-Mariner 31

Mystic 4

Try to put together a run of Terry-Toons 2 - 10. Comedy 11 and 12 have some crossover and are incredibly tough to locate. And there have been threads about Millie the Model 2.

Richard, how rare do you think Red Raven #1 is compared to the four books you listed? I always thought it was one of the tougher Timelys, despite the fact that there are 21 copies :o on the census.

I was going to comment on this and I'd love some input from those with a bit more experience. I have seen *many* copies of RR #1 in my limited time collecting GA. I was a little surprised that it was called a rare book.

R.

Daring 2

USA 11

Sub-Mariner 31

Mystic 4

I was going to comment on this and I'd love some input from those with a bit more experience. I have seen *many* copies of RR #1 in my limited time collecting GA. I was a little surprised that it was called a rare book.

R.

I agree...I have seen at least 5 copies for sale in the past 2 years... never struck me as "rare" either (shrug)

Daring 2

USA 11

Sub-Mariner 31

Mystic 4

pretty tuff, but not on the short list. usa 11, blonde phantom 20, mystic 4, daring 3 [i've seen less of them than 2's] and miss america 1 are toughies.

I wonder what the top 5 rarest DC superhero books are. hm

I know I would put Adventure #46 in the top 5

Good question. I remember that, back in the day, Adventure 73 (first Kirby DC cover) was thought to be tough. Some of the More Funs, which was a title with a lower print run, might also be contenders. They are all significantly more common than the pre-hero books.

Daring 2

USA 11

Sub-Mariner 31

Mystic 4

Red Raven isn't particularly tough to find, but very tough to find in grade. The Metro 9.0 is really the only high grade on the market.

Chuck still has the Mile High copy. It was the only one he kept. Other than that I have never seen another nice unrestored copy.

It was far and away at the top of my want-list for years until the White Rose books came up for sale through Heritage.

redraven1.jpg

While not top 5 material...Mystic 10 with the radical Destroyer cover is definitely not common.I'd LOVE to snag a nice 2.5 with OW or better.The few copies in the last 10 years have been too expensive due to higher grade.Maybe someday.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Good question. I remember that, back in the day, Adventure 73 (first Kirby DC cover) was thought to be tough. Some of the More Funs, which was a title with a lower print run, might also be contenders. They are all significantly more common than the pre-hero books.

Ian actually posted his thoughts 2 - 3 years ago. All I remember was that All Flash 32 was one of the toughest.

Ian actually posted his thoughts 2 - 3 years ago. All I remember was that All Flash 32 was one of the toughest.

I don't really know the market. Just that I always hear those late GA DC superheros are tough since superheros were on the downswing.

How about the early Blue Ribbons? It doesn't seem like issues 1-8 pop up very often. I can't imagine why not -- I'm sure Rang-A-Tang the Wonder Dog's cover appearances sold a lot of copies. :P

I've never really been much into Blue Ribbon as a title, so I may be off here. I see Blue Ribbon #1 pretty frequently and a smattering of the other early issues now and then. It stands to reason to me that they are among the scarcer MLJs (being very early and probably not the most popular title), so it may just be that they tend to be less collected than the other titles (especially Pep, Zip, etc.) so are seemingly relatively common.

Top Notch 31 and 35 have also been discussed as being scarcer issues (maybe BlackHand can chime in here since this is his title).

If anyone has ever walked around a show asking for MLJs, they know that they aren't common. Perhaps if they were collected to the same extent as DCs, they would all seem rare (shrug) At this point, though, there seem to be more or less enough to go around.

No one has any lists to offer? I figured that 143k would chime in on MLJs, Nearmint on Nedors, and Bedrock and Parker on Timelys. And what about Fiction House? No updated opinions? :(

I haven't chimed in because I don't think there really are any rare MLJs--at least not at the level we are discussing here. In my experience the toughest Archie books to find are Pep 26, Pep 22, Pep 42, Pep 34 and Pep 41. I think the rarest Peps are probably 42-48. The earlier ones are just more likely to be locked up in people's collections rather than truly rare.

Nice Millie #2 btw.

There are a handful of very hard to find MLJ's, most of which aren't very expensive, though. Pep 22, 42,44 and 47 are tough. Zip 28 is tough. All are tough in high grade. Top Notch 13,26 and 31 and 35, were tough for me, but I found them and have no doubts that they are out there. Problem is, no one cares. Other than the Archie stuff, they are pretty easy to find in low grade.

I would say that no superhero DC book is truly rare in the traditional sense of the word. The rarest would probably be Tec 33, 35, and More Fun 52-54. It is really difficult to say, though, because I am sure they are just locked up in peoples private collections. I have the same theory about pre-hero tecs and adventures. There aren't alot of them out there because people don't let them go. Of course, this theory excludes New Adventure 26-27, and a few of the early Tecs.

Nice Millie #2 btw.

that Wonder Dog sure was daring

blueribbon2.jpg