• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If comic cons are always packed, then why are comic shops closing down?

87 posts in this topic

Elitist shop lackeys... self-righteous gamers... lack of back stock... arrogant owners,,,

Very few shops that don't suffer one or all of these ills... And those are the shops that I return to.

Is it the owners in the shops?

The people that don't buy moderns?

The shops that don't have back stock?

E-bay?

What !

Tell me o might one.

hm

Most of the people at cons wanna meat a wrestler and buy a smurf scarf and matching undies. The small majority are buying back issues or new issues.

E-bay?

What !

Tell me o might one.

hm

Most of the people at cons wanna meat a wrestler and buy a smurf scarf and matching undies. The small majority are buying back issues or new issues.

This.

There are also the cosplay freakoids, the slabbing freakoids, the sketch and sig freakoids...

95% of the crowd have no interest in actually buying the comics that started it all. :(

My LCS sells back issues at 100% guide and refuses to buy or sell on the internet. From time to time, I pick up a $10 back issue here and there, but I can't pay $100 for a SA Silver Surfer issue that gets $30 on Ebay.

I'm sure that has hurt business. And now with digital - my pull has one or two sympathy books in there that get me to stop in twice a month, but eventually - the LCS will probably be gone.

Comic shops have high overhead and low profit margin. The publishers force you to order more comics than you can sell so you can get your demanding customers those variants they want. Every unsold comic eats into the profits. Comic shops have employees and customers that steal. They have rent and utility bills. Most are stuck working their store and can't really get out and locate the comics their customers want the most. Collections walk in the door, but most are already cherry picked of anything decent. Most store owners are burnt out on what they do because they are barely getting by. They have no health insurance. Gamers like to hang out and not buy anything. Parents drop their kids off and use them as babysitters. When the parents come to pick up their kids, they whine for mom or dad to buy them something and the parent looks at the price and says "that's too expensive" and they walk out.

Convention dealers don't have the monthly rent. They buy a few tables and have time to hand pick books that they know will sell. They get a month to prepare or more. Many have a steady income elsewhere. They meet a wider range of customers, not just the ones in their local area.

DG

E-bay?

What !

Tell me o might one.

hm

This.

There are also the cosplay freakoids, the slabbing freakoids, the sketch and sig freakoids...

95% of the crowd have no interest in actually buying the comics that started it all. :(

or buying anything for that matter. SD has become a track meet where the masses run from one freebie handout to another.

E-bay?

What !

Tell me o might one.

hm

This.

^^

My LCS sells back issues at 100% guide and refuses to buy or sell on the internet. From time to time, I pick up a $10 back issue here and there, but I can't pay $100 for a SA Silver Surfer issue that gets $30 on Ebay.

I'm sure that has hurt business. And now with digital - my pull has one or two sympathy books in there that get me to stop in twice a month, but eventually - the LCS will probably be gone.

I can't throw a rock without hitting a comic book store.

They're everywhere.

They're everywhere.

I have 4 pretty close to me. 2 of them, it's VERY obvious that they do pretty good. The other two, I'm pretty sure the owners are independent billionaires because I can't figure for the life of me how they can possibly be staying in business (shrug)

They're everywhere.

Consider yourself lucky. There's four in the entire state of Montana (other than Hastings). If I don't like what mine has, it's a three hour drive to the next one.