• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

Comparing CVA to CGCs initial acceptance doesn't make sense. It took CGC a bit for people to get on board but they provide an actual service. As we all know they have a standard that they grade our books with and place them in a nice sleeve and plastic case. CVA just takes said case and without the knowledge of how all the other books in that grade look in the case and slaps a sticker on it or not. The only thing that should matter is our trust/distrust with CGC's ethics and grading criteria for the grade.

I don't plan on buying anything with this sticker on it. But its a possibility if theres a book i want and its a good price. This sticker will not factor in my decision at all.

EDIT: After posting this I saw the post from MsSchmidt making the same point. Sorry for being redundant.

This will eventually work, as it`s a success in the coin certified business.

Everything from the crack and resub game to this has all successfully happened many years ago in the coin certified world. This is just another indication of the comic book certified industry following the coin certified industry. I expect it will be a huge success in the future years ahead. 2c

Not arguing that at all and wasn't really comparing CGC to CVA - just noting that CGC went through a period where they were criticized heavily just like CVA is now. But CGC persisted and now they are an integral part of the whole comic collecting hobby and the comic retailing business.

All I am saying is that if CVA is able to persist for several years or as Miraclemet pointed out that they meet some sort of eBay acceptance - or you see CVA used in descriptions for Heritage Auctions and/or GPA sales data, then they become part of all of this comic thing whether I like it or not.

From a pure collecting standpoint, I do not like the service. But from a comic dealer standpoint, I have to do a better job of monitoring trends and take advantage of anything that can enhance my bottom line as long as it is not unethical. CVA is not unethical - I just believe it is not necessary.

Again, I believe slabbing modern books is silly as all get out but if I can slab the right books and make honest coin out of it then I will do so as slabbing modern books is not unethical.

I'd like to announce my service, CVAGC. I will be offering, for a small fee, grading of the CVA stickers attached to the CGC slabs. I will be grading for adhesiveness, imperfections and reflectivity.

Being in business for a year, is it really that shocking? I mean, what's their overhead? They already paid for the roll of stickers. I doubt they have a Manhattan corporate office for their sticker applying company. Even if they generate zero dollars a year he can probably afford the costs of hosting the website hoping he catches a sucker one day. The real question is, has ANYBODY not associated with the company actually submitted a book to them in the past year? My guess is no. Have their stickers commanded a premium in any sales? My guess is no.

PGX is still in business as well, you know.

Now THAT'S hilarious - there is some biting wit/imagination on these boards. lol

I'd like to announce my service, CVAGC. I will be offering, for a small fee, grading of the CVA stickers attached to the CGC slabs. I will be grading for adhesiveness, imperfections and reflectivity.

Everything from the crack and resub game to this has all successfully happened many years ago in the coin certified world. This is just another indication of the comic book certified industry following the coin certified industry. I expect it will be a huge success in the future years ahead. 2c

Will it win a digital Oscar? :baiting:

PGX is still in business as well, you know.

Touche on the PGX thing - can't imagine why anyone on this planet would submit a book to them. Only ones I've ever had came from a collection of mostly unslabbed books.

I do know that CVA allows a free account so that you can use their database. I haven't done that yet but if they show the numbers of books that have been submitted to them and we see that it grows exponentially over time, then that might be an indicator of some sort.

Might just have to check into this database thing....

Apples and oranges. Coins don't have an interior.

what is the comparable company in the coin business?

Like a Stan Lee signature, I will never buy a book with a CVA sticker on it. The world will go on, and someone else will buy it, but I refuse to pay one cent to contribute to something so patently idiotic and more questionably fraudulent than selling driveway repaving service to the elderly blind people who don't drive.

Stan Lee signatures buy books with CVA stickers?

hmmm I dont think I've ever seen them CVA a SS book...

now if you can add a little reverse spine roll and costanzing on the same book I think we'll have the cause of the CGC message Boards Apocalypse.

I am extremely skeptical about this new service - but almost a year later, they are still in business. If they are in business two years from now, then whether I like it or not, it becomes part of this CGC and comic grading lexicon. That is probably when I will evaluate whether it is value added to my bottom line. Again, I don't think what they are doing is unethical - just don't think that at this time, it is value added.

Similar arguments were made about CGC back in the day - and there are a number of high end dealers that still do NOT like CGC. I've had dealers buy CGC books from me at cons and instantly crack them open.

You can't compare CGC & CVA.

CGC provides an actual service - they grade the book, perform a resto check and send it back it to you in a nifty plastic holder.

CVA, on the other hand, simply looks at the front & back of the book through the slab and decides arbitrarily that "miswrap be damned, this book deserves a tiny silver sticker".

I'm sure neither of the two people listed on the CVA team quit their day-jobs in order to kickstart this useless venture, so whether they're still around in a couple of years or not means nothing when it comes to market acceptance.

My costume for this Halloween is a CVA sticker.

I will be met with derision, scorn and feelings of irrelevance, which will make it much like any other normal day, but I will be much much shinier.

what is the comparable company in the coin business?

CAC

Widely accepted and praised, BUT they also buy back coins that they certify.

By the way, this does NOT happen to all collecting fields that use certification.

Neither currency collecting or toy collecting have any related equivalents as of yet.