• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

Do these people really think we are that gullible to just hand over books just to get a sticker on our slabs?

ha_1911-D_pop_cac_example.jpg

NGC places a Star and Plus designation on some of their coins too.

franklin1956type2cameoebaypiclabel.jpg

It doesn't have a sticker

IT"S NOT PRETTY :sumo:

Send me $5 and I'll tell you whether it's pretty or not.

I'll offer the same service for tree fiddy.

Do these people really think we are that gullible to just hand over books just to get a sticker on our slabs?

Send me $5 and I'll tell you whether it's pretty or not.

I'll offer the same service for tree fiddy.

Boy Im glad I dont collect coins, those coins with the stars and stickers are BEAUTIFUL~! I bet they sell for huge premiums, those give you psychic 'dang I feel great about my collection' income everytime you look at them!

I have never been a sticker fan.

Oh, and it is pretty. :baiting:

Boy Im glad I dont collect coins, those coins with the stars and stickers are BEAUTIFUL~! I bet they sell for huge premiums, those give you psychic 'dang I feel great about my collection' income everytime you look at them!

I haven't collected coins since I was in elementary school, but would love to have those in my "collection"! :applause:

Can someone post a synopsis of the 100 pgs for this thread?

Synopsis: Having 10 posts per page is so 2007.

The owners of CVA have a hooker problem and needed a way to supplement their income from working at Krispy Kreme.

That's funny.

I actually went back to 10 so I could follow sales threads when they say "summary on page 12" and I click it....it isn't a broken link.

That's funny.

I actually went back to 10 so I could follow sales threads when they say "summary on page 12" and I click it....it isn't a broken link.

lol

It's great for sales threads and impossible for for these 40-year-trek-through-the-desert-itchy-anus-trial-by-fire threads.

Is CVA providing an opinion on the "improvability" of a book? Now that would be a beneficial statistic. As I've suggested for years, an additional grade should be assigned to the CGC grade that details the defects and the potential for upgrade. It would take the guess work out of the crack/press/resub/flip game. For collectors that aren't as savy at this exhausting game (like myself) it would level the playing field.

If CGC assigned a grade that reflects the "potential" of a book for upgrade it would help equalize the field again. After the advent of CGC the collecting field was reasonably level. Now with this pressing/ resub game, it is no longer equal. Long time high end collectors (like myself) have become disillusioned with this game and many have left the hobby... How frustrating is it to see your recently sold 9.0 being resold as a "top census 9.4"???

Think about it CGC.

That's funny.

lol

It's great for sales threads and impossible for for these 40-year-trek-through-the-desert-itchy-anus-trial-by-fire threads.

:roflmao:

Is CVA providing an opinion on the "improvability" of a book?

No, it's merely stickering books with great eye appeal for the assigned grade. When it comes to Golden Age, I think you're going to end up with a lot of books that have interior defects getting the stickers. It might be graded a 6.5 and look like a 7.5, but that centerfold detached at one staple is going to prevent an upgrade. But it looks pretty!

I am the founder and president of CVA . . .

CAC, a coin service that places its holographic sticker on holders that are considered "premium-quality" have added between 10 - 30% of value to those coins. Why? Because they have superior eye appeal. Humans beings always seek and gravitate towards people or things with higher visual appeal. Comic books are no exception. Moreover, we all want value for our hard earned money.

There are numerous comic books, even in ultra high grade, assigned the same grade, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are less appealing to collectors. For example, there are 200 examples of Hulk 181 in 9.6 - are they all the same? Of course not. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it. This service is meant to be a voice, an advocate if you will, for the collector.

We are currently working with auction houses and dealers. ComicLink will be the first of many. Pricing tiers will also be finalized soon.

Please feel free to stop by booth #307 at the NYCC. I would like the opportunity to address your concerns.

Awesome, so in a nutshell you are "verifying" the "verification" of a comic?

Giving redundancy a bad name (thumbs u

I hate to make a blanket statement but this really does sound retarded.

.....It will help those who can't to better buy the book and not the label. It could also help eliminate the mystery of what the back cover looks like (when not provided). It seems to be viewed as a positive and worth a premium in the coin field with CAC. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I ask again....

And why can't CGC just do this themselves, and make some easy additional $$ ?

Anybody?

Because it would invalidate their entire grading scale. If they start saying one 9.6 is better than another 9.6 people will start asking "then why the hell are they both 9.6's?!?".

The obvious answer is because one 9.6 is really a 9.55 and the other is a 9.65 but CGC doesn't want to have to start using a 1,000,000 point grading scale breaking grades down to 10 decimal points (thumbs u

Actually NGC (the coin side of Collectors Society) has a similar kind of designation for coins they have graded that have outstanding eye appeal. It is called the Star Designation, with a star added to the grade. If NGC is doing it the door is certainly open for CGC to follow suit, should they decide it is viable.

"It is apparent that some coins of a particular grade are far more attractive than others of the same grade. That, in a nutshell, is the idea behind NGC’s star designation. NGC defines its star designated coins as those that have exceptional eye appeal."

Here is an example. Note the star next to the grade.

ngc-star.jpg

Actually NGC (the coin side of Collectors Society) has a similar kind of designation for coins they have graded that have outstanding eye appeal. It is called the Star Designation, with a star added to the grade. If NGC is doing it the door is certainly open for CGC to follow suit, should they decide it is viable.

"It is apparent that some coins of a particular grade are far more attractive than others of the same grade. That, in a nutshell, is the idea behind NGC’s star designation. NGC defines its star designated coins as those that have exceptional eye appeal."

Here is an example. Note the star next to the grade.

ngc-star.jpg

The coin grading makes sense. We can see both sides of the coin, and grading does not apply to the *inside* of the coin. The fact that there are so many other factors to grading a book - that only CGC knows about, since they are the last party to handle the book before encapsulation - makes the CVA sticker worthless on several levels, but also pretty needless since they do nothing other than offer an opinion on a cursory inspection for a fee.