• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

You're the one asking for CVA to stand behind their sticker :facepalm:

No I'm not :facepalm:

What's this?

'Dear CVA,

I cracked my Avengers #4 9.2, got it pressed and regraded and it came back a 9.0. I had it regraded again and it came back an 8.5. You verified it 'looked nice' while it was a 9.2 and you are an authority, can I have the price difference in cash please?

Thank you. '

Yes, I can see them standing right behind their sticker.

That doesn't sound like Boozad's book.... :whistle:

:popcorn:

I wasn't asking them to stand behind their sticker. I was saying they won't stand behind their sticker, that their sticker means bugger all, and just generally saying they've verified nothing and aren't really an authority at all.

I got that part - but it's a bit unfair to accuse them of this when the major player in certification reeks of the same issues.

What's this?

'Dear CVA,

I cracked my Avengers #4 9.2, got it pressed and regraded and it came back a 9.0. I had it regraded again and it came back an 8.5. You verified it 'looked nice' while it was a 9.2 and you are an authority, can I have the price difference in cash please?

Thank you. '

I think I've heard this story enough times to know it's not Boozad's book

Supportive of what?

With the greatest of respect - your posts do seem to be in favour of this company.

Thats all.

lol Classic - can you show me which ones?

:whistle:

Whistling signifies support

Cracked Varicose Anus.

What's this?

'Dear CVA,

Thank you. '

I think I've heard this story enough times to know it's not Boozad's book

I figured. It was just interesting to see that as an example.

I wasn't asking them to stand behind their sticker. I was saying they won't stand behind their sticker, that their sticker means bugger all, and just generally saying they've verified nothing and aren't really an authority at all.

I got that part - but it's a bit unfair to accuse them of this when the major player in certification reeks of the same issues.

Agree with the second part, but I think it's more than fair to accuse them if they're happy enough to try to make coin over doing what's tantamount to nothing but wouldn't back their verification or authority up if and when the situation arises.

Agree with the second part, but I think it's more than fair to accuse them if they're happy enough to try to make coin over doing what's tantamount to nothing but wouldn't back their verification or authority up if and when the situation arises.

I see the main use as a noise filter. The key-driven frenzy is producing a glut of high-grade non-key listings, and conversely, auction houses/consignors will need something to attract buyers and spice things up.

Supportive of what?

With the greatest of respect - your posts do seem to be in favour of this company.

Thats all.

lol Classic - can you show me which ones?

:whistle:

Whistling signifies support

I'll accept his apology any time he wants to make it.

I still don't get it. What is it that their sticker offers that a CGC grade does not?

What's the purpose to the consumer?

IMO it looks like something for dealers, in cases where they have 2 books in the same grade, to underline that one book is nicer than the other, something that comes up all the time anyway. But now there's a sticker and the hope of even more $. You, the buyer, doesn't need to have an opinion now.

My issue is if I'm looking at a book on a website that has this sticker, and the same book and grade is on ebay without a sticker, who's to say which is really better when CVC likely hasn't looked at the ebay book? I would still have to look at both and decide for myself which I like better.

I see the main use as a noise filter. The key-driven frenzy is producing a glut of high-grade non-key listings, and conversely, auction houses/consignors will need something to attract buyers and spice things up.

Agreed, but 3 jokers setting up a $25 cardboard shingle and staring at books already encased in slabs is going to spice things up in the wrong direction.

I still don't get it. What is it that their sticker offers that a CGC grade does not?

What's the purpose to the consumer?

IMO it looks like something for dealers, in cases where they have 2 books in the same grade, to underline that one book is nicer than the other, something that comes up all the time anyway. But now there's a sticker and the hope of even more $. You, the buyer, doesn't need to have an opinion now.

My issue is if I'm looking at a book on a website that has this sticker, and the same book and grade is on ebay without a sticker, who's to say which is really better when CVC likely hasn't looked at the ebay book? I would still have to look at both and decide for myself which I like better.

So if a book is historically miscut or have other consistent manufacturing flaws, for example, how are they (this new company) going to determine which one is better looking than another?

Also, as you said, if a book is not reviewed by them, how will the consumer distinguish? Also, they are just judging the outside cover without considering interior quality, which makes it much more different than coins.

I'm going to have to see a side by side comparison and still I don't think I'd give a rats patootie what a 4th party says, it's the grade and PQ that does it for me.

Do these people really think we are that gullible to just hand over books just to get a sticker on our slabs?

ha_1911-D_pop_cac_example.jpg

What you dont know is that the company that stickers coins, CAC, stands behind every coin they pass. Meaning they will buy any of those coins and have the power to do so. Their sticker came to be because of tpg's overgrading, and putting coins with problems in holders that should be. There is a very active market for them and the coins passed by them do command premiums.

Will CVA stand behind their sticker the way CAC has? It's an interesting question indeed.

'Dear CVA,

Thank you. '

As I've said before, the approach used by CAC or any service appraising/assessing a two-sided object could not migrate to comics without major changes to the methodology.

When my comic was damaged somewhere between CPR and grading, the person performing the CPR described the impossibility of the book leaving his hands in the condition it was returned to me.

CGC's Mark Haspel would not relent on the possibility that anyone brought food into the graders room, even though the damage on my comic revealed that someone had used it like a food tray.

In light of the zero-accountability aspect of CPR, and the outright denial demonstrated by CGC (not only in my case, but hearing incidents that have occurred with others) that anything could ever go wrong under their watch, how could anyone expect CVA to be held responsible when CGC itself wouldn't accept responsibility for what happened in my situation?

Is there a thread with the whole backstory on this comic used as a food tray incident?

Do these people really think we are that gullible to just hand over books just to get a sticker on our slabs?

What you dont know is that the company that stickers coins, CAC, stands behind every coin they pass. Meaning they will buy any of those coins and have the power to do so. Their sticker came to be because of tpg's overgrading, and putting coins with problems in holders that should be. There is a very active market for them and the coins passed by them do command premiums.

Will CVA stand behind their sticker the way CAC has? It's an interesting question indeed.

'Dear CVA,

Thank you. '

As I've said before, the approach used by CAC or any service appraising/assessing a two-sided object could not migrate to comics without major changes to the methodology.

When my comic was damaged somewhere between CPR and grading, the person performing the CPR described the impossibility of the book leaving his hands in the condition it was returned to me.

CGC's Mark Haspel would not relent on the possibility that anyone brought food into the graders room, even though the damage on my comic revealed that someone had used it like a food tray.

In light of the zero-accountability aspect of CPR, and the outright denial demonstrated by CGC (not only in my case, but hearing incidents that have occurred with others) that anything could ever go wrong under their watch, how could anyone expect CVA to be held responsible when CGC itself wouldn't accept responsibility for what happened in my situation?

Is there a thread with the whole backstory on this comic used as a food tray incident?

There might be, but it may have been discussed in parts and in passing thoughts. Very bummed about the whole experience as I have yet to find a replacement copy and probably won't without dishing out a grand.

There might be, but it may have been discussed in parts and in passing thoughts. Very bummed about the whole experience as I have yet to find a replacement copy and probably won't without dishing out a grand.

This story is reminiscent of the story of namisgr's ASM 121 that somehow found itself with a new paper clip indent impression somewhere along the grading process.

This story is reminiscent of the story of namisgr's ASM 121 that somehow found itself with a new paper clip indent impression somewhere along the grading process.

That was the incident I remembered when my situation arose. I just couldn't put a boardie name to the incident.

NGC places a Star and Plus designation on some of their coins too.

franklin1956type2cameoebaypiclabel.jpg

It doesn't have a sticker

IT"S NOT PRETTY :sumo:

NGC places a Star and Plus designation on some of their coins too.

franklin1956type2cameoebaypiclabel.jpg

It doesn't have a sticker

IT"S NOT PRETTY :sumo:

Send me $5 and I'll tell you whether it's pretty or not.