• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

I hear these 2 masterminds are currently working on counterfeit CV labels.

nerds-1.jpg

Where is this picture from? That guy on the right looks a hell of a lot like one of my students from last year...like I honestly think that is him...

I found it on a site dedicated to geek/nerd photos. This one by far is #1.

Every time I see one of these stickers I can't help but think of this:

steveoirock.jpg

And THIS is exactly why Peter is my favorite boardie! Spot on as always Peter :golfclap:

If THIS was the sticker, I'd endorse this idea! (thumbs u

I'm glad the class of 02 and 03 have shown up to help show everyone else how REAL conversations used to be done on these boards. Bravo!

I'm also glad to be shown how to fellate my friends and their BAD ideas. Bravo! :golfclap:

I'm dubious as to whether upgrade potential (pressing) can be verified through a slab any more than eye appeal can be gauged without a wide range of samples for comparison.

To me, the value in identifying books with nice eye appeal ("Gold Star" books) would not be in their eye appeal relative to other copies of the same book, but in their absolute eye appeal, so you would not need any samples for comparison.

For starters, you eliminate books with bindery chips, bindery tears, marvel chipping, date stamps, arrival dates, foxing, sun shadows, dust shadows, fading, miswraps, recessed staples, poor registration, and any "production defects" that CGC has given a free pass to. If there are no books in a print run without these types of defects, then there are no copies of that book that should get the Gold Star, end of story. :sumo:

[font:Times New Roman]Good points, but virtually everything you've mentioned can be clearly distinguished in a good scan. What can a holographic label achieve that one's eyes cannot?[/font] (shrug)

Indeed this is true. BUT, as the hobby has embraced the concept of 3rd-party grading (and I'm a convert), then I feel 3rd-party grading needs to go "all in" and finish the analysis by telling us not only how well preserved the book is physically, but how pretty it is aesthetically. :foryou:

few points:

2) amazing looking books dripping with color can include miswraps with arrival dates, printers creases, even stains on the interior, tanning on interior, even little tears on the back etc etc and get the exceptional rating.

3) But they can't get a gold star. Even pedigrees. They have to stand on there own as unbelievable to get the gold star. Many 9.8's should get this anyway (I've noticed one main difference CGC seems to use on 9.8's is they have amazing color over say a dull but perfect 9.4)

4) the books should look great on an absolute basis. you dont need to compare to other books in that grade. Everyone should hold the book and just be amazed by its color.

5) as a result of point 4, I dont think anything under 6.5 should be able to be considered. For this to be credible there cant be any big chips or huge rips or something like that (stains or tanning inside might be ok). I suppose they could go 6.5 for an amazing looking book with something like a 4 inch crease that breaks color

All good points, but per your point 5, any book could get a Gold Star if the exterior cover qualifies, regardless of interior defects which would bring the CGC grade down below a 6.5...4.0...2.0. The Gold Star is independent of the CGC technical grade.

This thread has crossed over stupidity's event horizon and is dragging me, this forum, the interwebs, our globe, universe and galaxy hurtling toward nothingness. I fear it may have reached such epic levels of doosh baggery, so as to destroy the space/time continuum and cause a reverse big bang.

The reverse big bang is a catostrophic event and not to be confused with the pleasurable event reverse cow girl, the angry sailor, the lazy Susan, or the wet Uncle.

This thread has crossed over stupidity's event horizon and is dragging me, this forum, the interwebs, our globe, universe and galaxy hurtling toward nothingness. I fear it may have reached such epic levels of doosh baggery, so as to destroy the space/time continuum and cause a reverse big bang.

The reverse big bang is a catostrophic event and not to be confused with the pleasurable event reverse cow girl, the angry sailor, the lazy Susan, or the wet Uncle.

Sounds like someone needs a shiny sticker to cheer them up. Her ya go, little fella....

shiny_yellow_outline_superman_logo_square_stickers-p217625774052904336bah05_400.jpg

:baiting:

Stan doesn't need to hear your retarded rendition of chicken little - sorry will suffice.

I think the sound I just heard is me returning to my mother's womb.

Stan doesn't need to hear your retarded rendition of chicken little - sorry will suffice.

Someone is clearly not a fan of the Wet Uncle.

I hate the phrase "dripping with colour".
I do too. Color is spelled wrong.

Not in Canada or the UK where they invented the English language. :makepoint::slapfight:

TESTIFY!

hm

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote

The droghte of March hath perced to the roote

And bathed every veyne in swich licour,

Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth

Inspired hath in every holt and heeth

The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne

Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,

And smale foweles maken melodye

hm

I would like to thank arch, Fingh, dice and especially CVA as I now have the CGC board equivalent of my gold star!!! :whee:

Finally got my custom title baby! :headbang:

My custom title is awesome, your custom title sucks.

I had to explain this to my friend today as we quickly walked around the Javits floor. He shook his head in disbelief and said the same thing regarding redundancy.

I would like to thank arch, Fingh, dice and especially CVA as I now have the CGC board equivalent of my gold star!!! :whee:

Finally got my custom title baby! :headbang:

My custom title is awesome, your custom title sucks.

Please!!

Mine has distinctly exceptional eye appeal worthy of a super extra awesome gold sticker hologram! :headbang:

Yours is horribly miswrapped and looks like it was left in a toaster! :baiting: