• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

I've been asking this for some time and not even a hint as to what price(s) they intend to charge. Perhaps their pricing will depend on how much they like a particular book?
Nobody has gotten a straight answer about anything

What are the prices?

Who owns and is selling the books with the stickers on them?

Has anyone submitted a comic yet?

What are their qualifications in determining a comics eye appeal?

And the whole thing about miswraps and his avoiding questions regarding his process of determining what gets a sticker and what doesn't, if there are any immediately disqualifying flaws, so on.

No questions have been answered directly, honestly, and without a lot of vague question dodging until he's been backed into a corner with no other option but to finally respond.

I have no use for this service, nor would I ever pay more for a book with a sticker.

However, I think I know how CVA could be successful. Here's my idea:

1) Offer a "normal" category with a "normal" sticker. So in essence, all submitted books receive a sticker.

2) Add an easily-read serial number to all stickers.

3) Scan all submitted books with a legal scanner.

4) Offer free serial number check (similar to CGC) with a link to the scans.

90% of the graded books on eBay and other auction sites have photos that usually only show the label and 2/3rds of the front cover, and are usually blurry because the scanner is focusing on the holder.

A lot of people like me won't bid on these books because I don't just buy the grade, I also buy the book. But if I had a free service that would allow me to view scans, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

After a period of time, any slab with the CVA sticker would get more bids, driving up the final auction prices. This would, in turn, translate to more CVA submissions. Everyone wins.

:acclaim:

Would overgraded copies or copies that present poorly get a "normal" sticker? Why not make a sticker to reflect particularly poor examples of any given grade? And how long would a company last if they were charging people money for a sticker that said that? lol

Would overgraded copies or copies that present poorly get a "normal" sticker? Why not make a sticker to reflect particularly poor examples of any given grade? And how long would a company last if they were charging people money for a sticker that said that? lol

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that stickers stating "poor," "overgraded, "don't buy this ugly book," or "I can smell this musty old book right through the holder" would not be in anyone's best interest. :)

Thanks to Doc Joe for obtaining a picture of CVA's amazingly thorough and painstaking method of determining what slabs get stickers:

P1000081_zps6b0269e6.jpg

Customer: I have some really nice slabbed books here. This one's got a miswrap so I wasn't sure if -

"Grader" : Well, let's see here. Nope. It's 100% amazing. *slaps sticker on* You've just made this comic book soooooo much more valuable. BOOYAH PAY ME!

Customer: Uhhhh, $30 for you to look at the plastic case and put a stick -

"Grader" : BOOYAH PAY ME!

:roflmao:

Some proposed pricing for the competition:

One-baller: pay $15 and you get no sticker

Two-baller: pay $25 and you get a sticker

:o Three-baller: pay $100 and you get a hologram sticker

:insane: Six-baller: pay 80% of FMV. You get a scratch-and sniff sticker and tickets to the Icecapades.

Do these people really think we are that gullible to just hand over books just to get a sticker on our slabs?

I'm not judging their business yet, as they have yet to leave the gate. But I do believe many said the same thing when CGC first came out.

Do these people really think we are that gullible to just hand over books just to get a sticker on our slabs?

Apparently so... So What happens when they fold? There will be all these dumb looking tamper proof stickers all over some nice books... I guess CGC will then benefit from all the resubs of those books.