• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

If that book ever breaks the $5-10 selling point due to a movie rumor I'll have to take a sabbatical from comics for awhile.

I was thinking more of self-harm myself.

If this happens - the end IS nigh.

I wish that guy who made a sculpture from a 20,000 dollar comic had used those instead....should start a movement...

comic books for kindling....

There is a guy in my city who owned a small old school type comic shop that recently shut down. He is planning on reopening in a better location sometime though. Anyhow, he was telling me about plans to have a burn-off of way overprinted 90's books. He was totally serious too. He wanted people to bring in X-Force 1's, NM 87 yadda yadda, and throw them into a bonfire just for laughs. And, to reduce the population of such books just a bit.

If that book ever breaks the $5-10 selling point due to a movie rumor I'll have to take a sabbatical from comics for awhile.

It is only a matter of time. As Greggy can attest to, I am getting that for 1980s New Mutants #1s now at shows.

It is only a matter of time. As Greggy can attest to, I am getting that for 1980s New Mutants #1s now at shows.

that book has picked up at shows for me as well. I'll toss three or four into my Five Buck Chuck long box and they are gone first day.

that book has picked up at shows for me as well. I'll toss three or four into my Five Buck Chuck long box and they are gone first day.

I started at $5 and worked up to $8. At $10 people looked but did not buy......

Love it or hate it, that is a classic nostalgia book. 9.8's sell all day at $50 bucks.

I have no hate for them , or any other overprinted 90's stuff. I was 11 or 12 when those books were dropping. These books will always have a place in my heart, but seeing them sell for dumb amounts when we know there are still gajillions out there to be had is just hard to swallow. Another 20 years from now maybe.

Hypothetical question:

You have mutiple issues of a modern #1, a hot item, but for less than a year. You picked out good enough copies to be 9.8 candidates, but the thing is, you don't want to invest in getting them graded & slabbed yourself at this point.

What kind of premium would you but on this kind of issue? Say a raw #1 (an eBay average, for discussion's sake) sold for $10. What would you consider a premium for your product? How about if it was a $40 book raw? $100? $1000 like The Walking Dead got to?

Just curious...

-slym