• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

Book:

Anything Elephantmen and Hip Flask

•why you think it will increase in value

-The book is a masterpiece

-MINISCULE print run

-They're going for cover to slightly above cover for back issues, with a couple exceptions (#1 CAN go for $8-10, #18 goes for ~$40) i.e. a LOT of room for growth

-Movie has been optioned

•(%) probability that it will go up.

-99.9% it will increase once the movie becomes more of a reality, and people actually find out about this hidden gem

•what price do you think it will achieve?

-I'd say at least $10 for back issues, maybe $15. (2X-3X what they go for now).

-The more "key" issues could go for 4X what they are getting now

•how long we should hold it?

-buy now, hold for at least a year or two. Low prices make them affordable. If you get stuck with them, then at worst, you have a great story to read and share.

•additional notes:

-I feel these will go up over time regardless, but the key factor is the story getting exposure through the movie.

What is hip flask's 1st app.

Hip Flask: Unnatural Selection? (shrug) I'm curious myself.

That book has so many variant covers.

Book:

Anything Elephantmen and Hip Flask

•why you think it will increase in value

-The book is a masterpiece

-MINISCULE print run

-They're going for cover to slightly above cover for back issues, with a couple exceptions (#1 CAN go for $8-10, #18 goes for ~$40) i.e. a LOT of room for growth

-Movie has been optioned

•(%) probability that it will go up.

-99.9% it will increase once the movie becomes more of a reality, and people actually find out about this hidden gem

•what price do you think it will achieve?

-I'd say at least $10 for back issues, maybe $15. (2X-3X what they go for now).

-The more "key" issues could go for 4X what they are getting now

•how long we should hold it?

-buy now, hold for at least a year or two. Low prices make them affordable. If you get stuck with them, then at worst, you have a great story to read and share.

•additional notes:

-I feel these will go up over time regardless, but the key factor is the story getting exposure through the movie.

What is hip flask's 1st app.

Hip Flask: Unnatural Selection? (shrug) I'm curious myself.

That book has so many variant covers.

He was used as a logo or something before. It may be some other thing, either an add or backup storey.

Ya, when I first started reading those, I found it confusing trying to find which issue was witch, with all the flip covers, non-prominant issue numbers on the cover, variants, etc.

This thread was interesting so I'm bringing it back.

Battle Scars 1-6 (1st Agent Coulsen, Marcus Johnson & co-written by hot creator Cullen Bunn. Small print runs with #1 being 32k and the rest in the 15K range. Coulson will be the focus of the upcoming S.H.I.E.L.D TV show.)

Captain America Vol. 5 #6 (1st Winter Soldier - this could be a huge one with him being the focus of Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier. The print run of 46K also isn't huge for a mainstream book. The Winter Soldier variant cover probably has higher value, not sure what the ratio is here.)

Annihilation Conquest #6 (1st appearance of the new Guardians of the Galaxy team who will be the stars of the GOTG movie. Print run 30K.)

This thread was interesting so I'm bringing it back.

Battle Scars 1-6 (1st Agent Coulsen, Marcus Johnson & co-written by hot creator Cullen Bunn. Small print runs with #1 being 32k and the rest in the 15K range. Coulson will be the focus of the upcoming S.H.I.E.L.D TV show.)

Captain America Vol. 5 #6 (1st Winter Soldier - this could be a huge one with him being the focus of Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier. The print run of 46K also isn't huge for a mainstream book. The Winter Soldier variant cover probably has higher value, not sure what the ratio is here.)

Annihilation Conquest #6 (1st appearance of the new Guardians of the Galaxy team who will be the stars of the GOTG movie. Print run 30K.)

Battle Scars 1,6 are the first in continuity appearances of Coulson but Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is his first comic book appearance and Marcus did not appear first in Battle Scars, that would be Fear Itself 7 ( which there is a variant for ).

What's the story with the Winter Soldier? Some say issue he appears in issue 1?

Conquest 6 is a great pic!

I can take a picture of the Winter Soldier. It is should clearly be #6. I mean he's standing there with a gun.

Edit: Found it on eBay. 2nd picture. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-VOL-5-6-2005-VARIANT-1ST-APPEARANCE-WINTER-SOLIDER-COMIC-VF-NM-/261181278210?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ccf9e0802#ht_818wt_721

Edited by Luis Suarez

I can take a picture of the Winter Soldier. It is should clearly be #6. I mean he's standing there with a gun.

Edit: Found it on eBay. 2nd picture. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-VOL-5-6-2005-VARIANT-1ST-APPEARANCE-WINTER-SOLIDER-COMIC-VF-NM-/261181278210?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ccf9e0802#ht_818wt_721

Yup that is correct.

As for Hip Flask the first appearance of him and Elephantmen is Hip Flask: Unnatural Selection 2002 . I believe there are 4 variant covers. ...... I really did not want to see this come out but good job and I agree 100 percent its really good.

Mr. T and T force #1 is going to heat up very soon.

just you watch.

The Signed Gold Foil edition right?

My plan is to buy a Gold Foil Edition and get it signed by Neal Adams there-go making it Signature Series Eligible.

OFG OFG

Mr. T and T force #1 is going to heat up very soon.

just you watch.

The Signed Gold Foil edition right?

My plan is to buy a Gold Foil Edition and get it signed by Neal Adams there-go making it Signature Series Eligible.

OFG OFG

I'll trade you my signed Adams Deathwatch 2000 chase card for that...

As for Hip Flask the first appearance of him and Elephantmen is Hip Flask: Unnatural Selection 2002 . I believe there are 4 variant covers. ...... I really did not want to see this come out but good job and I agree 100 percent its really good.

1) What do you mean by "you really did not want to see this come out, but good job"???

2) He was used as a logo, and in adds, so for some who take those type of things as "first appearances", one of those appearances might be of value. I would personally use Hip Flask #1 (Unnatural Selection) over the other things.

"The character of Hip Flask first appeared in a number of advertisements for Comicraft comic book fonts in the late 1990s in which he was originally depicted as a private detective (this has since changed in the pages of his own comics). "

1) What do you mean by "you really did not want to see this come out, but good job"???

2) He was used as a logo, and in adds, so for some who take those type of things as "first appearances", one of those appearances might be of value. I would personally use Hip Flask #1 (Unnatural Selection) over the other things.

"The character of Hip Flask first appeared in a number of advertisements for Comicraft comic book fonts in the late 1990s in which he was originally depicted as a private detective (this has since changed in the pages of his own comics). "

I meant: Good job picking this comic as a speculation... It has been under wraps ! I agree the first Story or full appearence is Hip Flask #1 (Unnatural Selection)

I meant: Good job picking this comic as a speculation... It has been under wraps ! I agree the first Story or full appearence is Hip Flask #1 (Unnatural Selection)

Cool. Ya, again, I'm at a lost as to why its not hotter.

Can not agree more with Elephantmen, love the books, Unnatural selections is hard to find, Even the reprint in #0 is rare as well. Had a "why no movie love" conversation yesterday, both agreed would take big $$$ to do it right, and just not popular enough like transformers with a built in following to support the cash.

Anyway,

MARVEL LONGSHOTS AND SLEEPERS

here are some Marvel sleepers I have been following for some time that seem to be getting no/little interest sales wise beyond close to cover..

I know it takes time for character books to catch on (I was up to 100 copies of New X-Men 128 before it broke the $15 mark)

in no order..

Web of Spider-man #119 -1st Kaine / current scarlet spider

Incredible Hulk 338 - 1st Mercy via thunderbolts - McFarlane issue gets it 10 bucks base.

Invaders #1 (1992?) - 1st Dr. Nemesis / x-men

Young avengers - I like the new book, proud of marvel to have gay characters and not make a big deal out of it.

Young avengers #1 - first Kate Bishop, Wiccan, Hulkling

Thor #617 - 1st Kid Loki

Marvel Boy #1 - 1st, well, marvel boy.

Vengence #1 - 1st Miss America Chavez - Could be a huge sleeper, marvel pushing this character pretty big.

Runaways Vol 2 #2 - 1st Victor Mancha - Kid Ultron - also lots of marvel push.

Secret Warriors #4 - 1st Edin Fesii - Manifold from Hickmans Avengers. Another new heavy use character.

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Modern) - 1st Amadeus Cho Mastermind - didn't like this kid, like him better a little older in Savage Wolverine.

New X-men #134 - 1st Quire - kid omega - no love yet??

Captain America #362 - 1st FULL Crossbones - 360 is a one page cameo, more like amazing 299/hulk 180. 362 is first full appearance with intro to character and cover app, more like amazing 300/hulk181., just saying.

Any Thoughts?

Cheers.

Can not agree more with Elephantmen, love the books, Unnatural selections is hard to find, Even the reprint in #0 is rare as well. Had a "why no movie love" conversation yesterday, both agreed would take big $$$ to do it right, and just not popular enough like transformers with a built in following to support the cash.

Anyway,

MARVEL LONGSHOTS AND SLEEPERS

here are some Marvel sleepers I have been following for some time that seem to be getting no/little interest sales wise beyond close to cover..

I know it takes time for character books to catch on (I was up to 100 copies of New X-Men 128 before it broke the $15 mark)

in no order..

Web of Spider-man #119 -1st Kaine / current scarlet spider

Incredible Hulk 338 - 1st Mercy via thunderbolts - McFarlane issue gets it 10 bucks base.

Invaders #1 (1992?) - 1st Dr. Nemesis / x-men

Young avengers - I like the new book, proud of marvel to have gay characters and not make a big deal out of it.

Young avengers #1 - first Kate Bishop, Wiccan, Hulkling

Thor #617 - 1st Kid Loki

Marvel Boy #1 - 1st, well, marvel boy.

Vengence #1 - 1st Miss America Chavez - Could be a huge sleeper, marvel pushing this character pretty big.

Runaways Vol 2 #2 - 1st Victor Mancha - Kid Ultron - also lots of marvel push.

Secret Warriors #4 - 1st Edin Fesii - Manifold from Hickmans Avengers. Another new heavy use character.

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Modern) - 1st Amadeus Cho Mastermind - didn't like this kid, like him better a little older in Savage Wolverine.

New X-men #134 - 1st Quire - kid omega - no love yet??

Captain America #362 - 1st FULL Crossbones - 360 is a one page cameo, more like amazing 299/hulk 180. 362 is first full appearance with intro to character and cover app, more like amazing 300/hulk181., just saying.

Any Thoughts?

Cheers.

Love the Kid Loki & Ultron tips!