• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

That could be. But I don't think anyone remembered the old versions of the superheros when the new ones were launched. The kids buying them would have been reading these characters exploits for the first time. But I see where you're going, later on the characters Marvel hatched were totally new concepts as opposed to refreshed GA characters, which over time captured the older readers as well as drawing the DC readers to also collect Marvels.

I an beginning to think that thought has to be relooked at by comic book historians. The golden age Jay Garrick Flash last made an appearance in All-Star Comics 57 which was 1951,while the new silver age Barry Allen Flash made his debut just 5 years later in Showcase 4 in 1956. I am no longer buying that a whole generation of people would forget their favorite hero in 5 years.

That`s like someone forgetting all about James Cameron`s Avatar which came out in 2009 five years later in 2014! :o

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

But don't forget they were already losing readers by then - the next generation skipped superheros mostly and romance, humor, westerns, horror and science fiction took over for a while. By virtue of the loss of this readers who were there when the superhero craze started, I think the gap between then and the silver age is wider as a result. It's like if we were already seeing Avatar 10 in the movies, which we'd all probably be tired of by now, hence far fewer of us would go see it then did the first one.

But don't forget they were already losing readers by then - the next generation skipped superheros mostly and romance, humor, westerns, horror and science fiction took over for a while. By virtue of the loss of this readers who were there when the superhero craze started, I think the gap between then and the silver age is wider as a result. It's like if we were already seeing Avatar 10 in the movies, which we'd all probably be tired of by now, hence far fewer of us would go see it then did the first one.

Superman and Batman were still selling comics in the millions between 1951 and 1956. Also Superman had the top rated children`s show on during that period, so super heroes were still popular. You make good points, but like I said 1951 to 1956 is just five years which is way too short a period for people to forget a super hero genre that dominated the 1940s. What I think it is was a few old-timers like to tell a good story about what happened in 1956 and it stuck with future generations. The old-timers story sounds much better then the truth, hence the old-timers story stuck to become comic book legend.

Nothing wrong with it, but I will stick to the fact that in there is no way a whole generation could forget something as big as superheroes between the time periods of 1951 to 1956.

IMHO

Superman and Batman were still selling comics in the millions between 1951 and 1956. Also Superman had the top rated children`s show on during that period, so super heroes were still popular. You make good points, but like I said 1951 to 1956 is just five years which is way too short a period for people to forget a super hero genre that dominated the 1940s. What I think it is was a few old-timers like to tell a good story about what happened in 1956 and it stuck with future generations. The old-timers story sounds much better then the truth, hence the old-timers story stuck to become comic book legend.

Nothing wrong with it, but I will stick to the fact that in there is no way a whole generation could forget something as big as superheroes between the time periods of 1951 to 1956.

IMHO

Agreed, and let me add that there were multiple superhero books selling regularly prior to the debut of Showcase 4: Wonder Woman, Superboy, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, Adventure Comics with Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, and World's Finest.

Here's one observation about DC Silver Age keys that distinguish them from Marvel's: Generally, anyone collecting DC SA keys will be required to buy 2 keys for every Marvel. This is attributed to DC having the 1st appearances of its SA characters subsequently followed by the first issue of that hero's run:

Showcase 4 - Flash 105

Showcase 22 - Green Lantern 1

Brave and the Bold 28 - Justice League of America 1

Even the "lesser" DC SA keys require the collector to collect 2 books instead of Marvel's one:

Showcase 6 - Challengers of the Unknown 1

Showcase 9 - Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 1

Showcase 15 - Tales of the Unexpected 40

Showcase 17 - Mystery In Space 53

Showcase 20 - Rip Hunter, Time Master 1

Brave and the Bold 34 - Hawkman 1

Brave and the Bold 54 - Teen Titans 1

Showcase 27 - Sea Devils 1

Showcase 34 - Atom 1

Showcase 37 - Metal Men 1

In one sense, the required 2 DC books for a SA collector can in some cases be more expensive than the easier Marvel keys that have a first appearance and number 1 issue combined. Spidey is the exception since AF 15 and ASM 1 are required for the SA Marvel key completist. Books like FF1, Hulk 1, Avengers 1, X-Men 1, Daredevil 1, Tales of Suspense 39 (Iron Man 1 comes out 5 years later!), Tales to Astonish 27 (no first issue another era), Journey into Mystery 83 (Thor 126 is the start of the run but do we consider it a first issue or just a title change?), Strange Tales 110 (again, Doctor Strange 169 comes out 5 years later), Fantastic Four 4 (Subby also gets his book 5 years later), and Sgt. Fury 1.

The DC Rule of SA Key x 2 should be something for a collector of SA keys to consider when looking at the landscape of key books. Picking up a SC 4 and Flash 123 in grade can add up to much more than an FF 1. Perhaps, even a Hulk1?

That could be. But I don't think anyone remembered the old versions of the superheros when the new ones were launched. The kids buying them would have been reading these characters exploits for the first time. But I see where you're going, later on the characters Marvel hatched were totally new concepts as opposed to refreshed GA characters, which over time captured the older readers as well as drawing the DC readers to also collect Marvels.

I an beginning to think that thought has to be relooked at by comic book historians. The golden age Jay Garrick Flash last made an appearance in All-Star Comics 57 which was 1951,while the new silver age Barry Allen Flash made is debut just 5 years later in Showcase 4 in 1956. I am no longer buying that a whole generation of people would forget their favorite hero in 5 years.

That`s like someone forgetting all about James Cameron`s Avatar which came out in 2009 five years later in 2014! :o

Baby Boomers, there was a huge new generation of little kids for whom the new DC's were new comics. They saw these new characters and didn't know about the older ones. Maybe their parents had read comics, maybe not...they might have been busy with WWII.

IMHO

Agreed, and let me add that there were multiple superhero books selling regularly prior to the debut of Showcase 4: Wonder Woman, Superboy, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, Adventure Comics with Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, and World's Finest.

Here's one observation about DC Silver Age keys that distinguish them from Marvel's: Generally, anyone collecting DC SA keys will be required to buy 2 keys for every Marvel. This is attributed to DC having the 1st appearances of its SA characters subsequently followed by the first issue of that hero's run:

Showcase 4 - Flash 123

Even the "lesser" DC SA keys require the collector to collect 2 books instead of Marvel's one:

Showcase 34 - Atom 1

In one sense, the required 2 DC books for a SA collector can in some cases be more expensive than the easier Marvel keys that have a first appearance and number 1 issue combined. Spidey is the exception since AF 15 and ASM 1 are required for the SA Marvel key completist. Books like FF1, Hulk 1, Avengers 1, X-Men 1, Daredevil 1, Tales of Suspense 39 (Iron Man 1 comes out 5 years later!), Tales to Astonish 27 (no first issue another era), Journey into Mystery 83 (Thor 126 is the start of the run but do we consider it a first issue or just a title change?), Strange Tales 110 (again, Doctor Strange 169 comes out 5 years later), Fantastic Four 4 (Subby also gets his book 5 years later), and Sgt. Fury 1.

The "DC Rule of SA Key x 2" should be something for a collector of SA keys to consider when looking at the landscape of key books. Picking up a SC 4 and Flash 123 in grade can add up to much more than an FF 1. Perhaps, even a Hulk1?

I think you meant Flash 105, not 123

IMHO

Showcase 4 - Flash 123

Showcase 34 - Atom 1

The "DC Rule of SA Key x 2" should be something for a collector of SA keys to consider when looking at the landscape of key books. Picking up a SC 4 and Flash 123 in grade can add up to much more than an FF 1. Perhaps, even a Hulk1?

I think you meant Flash 105, not 123

Fixed it- thanks (thumbs u

I an beginning to think that thought has to be relooked at by comic book historians. The golden age Jay Garrick Flash last made an appearance in All-Star Comics 57 which was 1951,while the new silver age Barry Allen Flash made is debut just 5 years later in Showcase 4 in 1956. I am no longer buying that a whole generation of people would forget their favorite hero in 5 years.

Baby Boomers, there was a huge new generation of little kids for whom the new DC's were new comics. They saw these new characters and didn't know about the older ones. Maybe their parents had read comics, maybe not...they might have been busy with WWII.

I was a boomer-baby - born 1956 - stated reading comics in about 1963. I didn't even know the GA heroes existed until they started to bring them back in appearances in JLA, Green Lantern and Flash.

Showcase 4 - Flash 105

Showcase 34 - Atom 1

Great list! Add:

Showcase 17 -- Mystery in Space 53

Showcase 30 -- Aquaman 1

Showcase 4 - Flash 105

Showcase 15- Tales of the Unexpected 40

Showcase 30 - Aquaman 1

Showcase 34 - Atom 1

Great list! Add:

Showcase 30 -- Aquaman 1

Just did - Thanks (thumbs u

Showcase 4 - Flash 105

Showcase 15- Tales of the Unexpected 40

Showcase 30 - Aquaman 1

Showcase 34 - Atom 1

Great list! Add:

Showcase 30 -- Aquaman 1

Just did - Thanks (thumbs u

Teen Titans also had Showcase #59 (although I didn't check which was first) :baiting:

Looking on the bright side of this however, folks who like to collect keys can also build a Showcase set.

It's not easy, but it's a lot fun :whistle:

Looking on the bright side of this however, folks who like to collect keys can also build a Showcase set. It's not easy, but it's a lot fun :whistle:

'It's not easy' is an understatement.

:preach: Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

;)

That's a very interesting take on it. (thumbs u

That's a very interesting take on it. (thumbs u

Thanks (thumbs u

Showcase 4 - Flash 105

Showcase 34 - Atom 1

Great list! Add:

Showcase 30 -- Aquaman 1

Thanks for compiling this. Very good point and definitely adds to the relative difficulty for 'completists.'