• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

That's why GA TECs and Actions are sought after. I couldn't even give away a mid grade SA Flash.

Really? :takeit:

Seriously Jay, I would have loved to pick up your early SA mid-grade Flash's you had for sale.

I'm just over extended at this time and had to stop buying for now.

I see plenty of younger collectors up here buying BA and SA Batman and related titles due to...................the popularity of New 52 Bat-titles. It will be interesting to see how this carries forward long term. The only consistent Modern Marvel back issue seller is Deadpool (ASM is slower outside of keys or Venom/Carnage appearances), but there is stronger interest for the New 52 Bat-titles, anything Harley (best modern back issue seller from the Big 2), and other new 52 books.

9.2's selling three times in less than a year doesn't help in the short term. hm

Owners are gettin' out while the gettin's good.

(shrug)

I would argue that there is still more upside in the book overall, particularly with the movie still on the distant horizon.

However, super-high grade versions are hard to predict - particularly if more show up.

I agree with you. This book has not exceeded its potential. It's a great SA key.

There just isn`t much demand at the high end for SA DC. Wealthy SA collectors are almost always Marvel collectors because, guess what, Marvels were what they read when they were a kid.

If a wealthy collector buys a six-figure SA DC, who`s he going to show it to? All of his wealthy comic collecting buddies are almost all guaranteed to be Marvel collectors. When he shows them the B&B 28 that he just spent $120K on, their attitude will be :roflmao: or zzz or ??? . He`ll say "but it was incredibly hard to find, there`s only 3 in the Census!", and they`ll go "Really? That`s, uh, fascinating. :eyeroll: Now, back to talking about how difficult it`s been to upgrade from my 9.6 DD 7 to a 9.8 copy..."

Believe me, I speak from experience! ;)

All my millionaire friends exclusively collect SA DC keys!

That's why GA TECs and Actions are sought after. I couldn't even give away a mid grade SA Flash.

Seriously Jay, I would have loved to pick up your early SA mid-grade Flash's you had for sale.

PM me your address. (thumbs u

PM me your address. (thumbs u

hm

Also, I find it hard to believe rich guys only read Marvels. :/

It's not the affluence of the buyers, it's the influence of Marvel. Before Marvel, kids would read their DC, grow up and forget about them, life called. Marvel was more influential, the characters had real personalities, kids grew up but never forgot about the characters.DC kids liked their comic books but Marvel kids loved them.

(thumbs u

It's not the affluence of the buyers, it's the influence of Marvel. Before Marvel, kids would read their DC, grow up and forget about them, life called. Marvel was more influential, the characters had real personalities, kids grew up but never forgot about the characters.DC kids liked their comic books but Marvel kids loved them.

I must be the exception then - as I loved the characters and still I do. (shrug)

That`s cool, but can you drop 6 figures on one of your beloved DCs?

Of course there are people who are passionate about DCs, but how many of them have the kind of coin to make 6-figure DC books as common as 6-figure Marvel books? You would be amazed by how many very wealthy Marvel collectors there are.

I was talking to a good friend of mine about SA Marvels vs. SA DC's. And he said flat out that SA DC's suck and not as great as SA Marvels. I told him that there are still good books in DC, but to me, are not as good as Marvel overall. Sure if I were to show him a high graded Showcase 4 or B&B 28, he would be ehh so what. But if I had an AF 15 or Hulk 1 in high grade, his eyes would light up. At least this is what I've been getting in my generation. Can't say for the older and younger folks out there.

(thumbs u Exactly.

The one DC character who might drive that kind of passionate following among wealthy collectors is Batman, but unfortunately none of his own SA DC books are scarce enough or key enough to ever approach 6 figures unless we get Weimar Republic-like hyperinflation.

Edited by tth2

I'm updating the $100k list and assume that someone here will know and will keep me from having to research all this myself...

Is the recent B&B 28 that sold at ComicLink the same copy that sold in February or another one of the 9.2s?

I'm updating the $100k list and assume that someone here will know and will keep me from having to research all this myself...

Is the recent B&B 28 that sold at ComicLink the same copy that sold in February or another one of the 9.2s?

This is definitely a new copy Rob Also, if you check GPA on the 9.2 which supposedly sold for 120K was sold on the last Comiclink auction for 100K . (thumbs u

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I must be the exception then - as I loved the characters and still I do. (shrug)

Of course there are people who are passionate about DCs, but how many of them have the kind of coin to make 6-figure DC books as common as 6-figure Marvel books? You would be amazed by how many very wealthy Marvel collectors there are.

Given time, things can change. The movies and TV of today is being viewed by the millionaires and billionaires of tomorrow - and Warner has quite a lot of plans for both forms of media. That combined with the fact there are tons and tons of high-grade Marvel books - it takes zero effort to amass a great set if you're willing to pay.

It could be interesting if the demand for DC SA keys continues to build as these kids start getting older and earning money, and want a slice of their past.

The fact that supply is so mush less, we could see some big books come out of the closets (if they're really out there like some say they are) that find ready cash to scoop them up.

I might be wrong, but I might be right. And it doesn't help Marvel that their key properties - Spider-Man and FF - are not even under their control. Comics really are are just the petrie-dishes where ideas are born these days, new talents coming onto the radar and concepts for big media.

That's drivIng the values these days - not the actual comics as much as the media. Heck, hardly anybody today has read the stories inside the SA books in the slabs. In a few years, no one buying comics or movie tickets will remember reading Marvel books as a kid. - that's my 2c

9.2's selling three times in less than a year doesn't help in the short term. hm

Owners are gettin' out while the gettin's good.

(shrug)

I would argue that there is still more upside in the book overall, particularly with the movie still on the distant horizon.

However, super-high grade versions are hard to predict - particularly if more show up.

I agree with you. This book has not exceeded its potential. It's a great SA key.

There just isn`t much demand at the high end for SA DC. Wealthy SA collectors are almost always Marvel collectors because, guess what, Marvels were what they read when they were a kid.

If a wealthy collector buys a six-figure SA DC, who`s he going to show it to? All of his wealthy comic collecting buddies are almost all guaranteed to be Marvel collectors. When he shows them the B&B 28 that he just spent $120K on, their attitude will be :roflmao: or zzz or ??? . He`ll say "but it was incredibly hard to find, there`s only 3 in the Census!", and they`ll go "Really? That`s, uh, fascinating. :eyeroll: Now, back to talking about how difficult it`s been to upgrade from my 9.6 DD 7 to a 9.8 copy..."

Believe me, I speak from experience! ;)

Hmm, maybe you're hanging out with the wrong crowd ... ;)

Given time, things can change. The movies and TV of today is being viewed by the millionaires and billionaires of tomorrow - and Warner has quite a lot of plans for both forms of media. That combined with the fact there are tons and tons of high-grade Marvel books - it takes zero effort to amass a great set if you're willing to pay.

It could be interesting if the demand for DC SA keys continues to build as these kids start getting older and earning money, and want a slice of their past.

The fact that supply is so mush less, we could see some big books come out of the closets (if they're really out there like some say they are) that find ready cash to scoop them up.

I might be wrong, but I might be right. And it doesn't help Marvel that their key properties - Spider-Man and FF - are not even under their control. Comics really are are just the petrie-dishes where ideas are born these days, new talents coming onto the radar and concepts for big media.

That's drivIng the values these days - not the actual comics as much as the media. Heck, hardly anybody today has read the stories inside the SA books in the slabs. In a few years, no one buying comics or movie tickets will remember reading Marvel books as a kid. - that's my 2c

Probably correct.

I still think there is a tremendous amount of growth potential for a wide range of pre-1965 DC SA keys. The market has shown us that DC SA keys (particularly in mid-grade or higher) have experienced significant price jumps the last 18 months, at a much higher rate than their Marvel counterparts (Action 252 is an excellent example). With less supply than their Marvel counterparts and only a handful of films released (the Nolan DK films plus MOS) but many more on the way (Bats/Super, JLA, Shazam, Aquaman), not to mention TV shows like Gotham, Flash, Supergirl, maybe Legion, more Arrow, I think there is still a lot of room for growth on DC SA keys. Of course there's a risk that these movie and TV properties might bomb, but there is also a good possibility most of them will gain acceptance and bring even more fans with disposable cash into the hobby.

I do worry about DC;Warner hitting their big screen/small screen stride 2 years from now, with Marvel Studios already doing 3, 4 movies a year, and then the real risk factor -- oversaturation of superhero movies/TV shows -- materializes, causing audiences to shun super hero movies/TV shows, which would hit the bull market on Marvel and DC SA keys pretty hard.