• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Hmm, maybe you're hanging out with the wrong crowd ... ;)

Believe me, I tried to find collectors of big ticket SA DC books to hang out with. They didn`t exist or just are not as gregarious as SA Marvel collectors.

You don`t know how often I asked dealers and other knowledgeable collectors who the big SA DC collectors were. They simply didn`t know or said that they didn`t exist, that there was no Tom Brulato or Doug Schmell of DC. I don`t think they were withholding info from me, because they readily told me who all the big Marvel collectors were, well before the identities of many of them became known through these Boards or through the Registry.

Hmm, maybe you're hanging out with the wrong crowd ... ;)

Believe me, I tried to find collectors of big ticket SA DC books to hang out with. They didn`t exist or just are not as gregarious as SA Marvel collectors.

You don`t know how often I asked dealers and other knowledgeable collectors who the big SA DC collectors were. They simply didn`t know or said that they didn`t exist, that there was no Tom Brulato or Doug Schmell of DC. I don`t think they were withholding info from me, because they readily told me who all the big Marvel collectors were, well before the identities of many of them became known through these Boards or through the Registry.

The first rule of Big Ticket DC SA Key Collector's Club is that there is no Big Ticket DC SA Key Collector's Club :makepoint:

Have you looked for a nice copy of Action 242 lately?

All the cool collectors scooped them up...not me, I'm not cool, I settled for a reading copy;)

I decided to buy a nicer one years ago, but everytime I looked they jumped higher than your stock market;)

All the cool collectors scooped them up...not me, I'm not cool, I settled for a reading copy;)

I decided to buy a nicer one years ago, but everytime I looked they jumped higher than your stock market;)

SA DCs will sell very well into the low 5 figures. High 5 figures and 6 figures is a different story.

You mean 242 or 252 sky? I think they're both cool books but 242 has seemed solid, while 252 has exploded IMO.

I think 242 exploded before 252, and it's scarcer.However, I agree, more people look for the first appearance of Supergirl than they do the first appearance of Brainiac.

SA DCs will sell very well into the low 5 figures. High 5 figures and 6 figures is a different story.

Maybe DC collectors are just more practical, lol. We'd rather spend 6 figures on things like houses;)

I can't disagree that the Marvels sell for more. Those numbers just float somewhere over my head. My collection was always more about reading, than just admiring...although I'm sure a few expensive books would be easier to store...Think of all the closet space;) hm

I happen to collect and love both Marvel and DC SA keys- to me, they compliment each other. Do you think any of this can be attributed to the top keys (SC 4, BB 28, and SC 22) being 1st SA appearances of GA characters and not original creations?

That could be. But I don't think anyone remembered the old versions of the superheros when the new ones were launched. The kids buying them would have been reading these characters exploits for the first time. But I see where you're going, later on the characters Marvel hatched were totally new concepts as opposed to refreshed GA characters, which over time captured the older readers as well as drawing the DC readers to also collect Marvels.

To kind of prove how much of an effect the movies have on values, just look at the TTA #13 with the 1st appearance of Groot. There are 5.0 copies that sellers are asking close to $4k for. Did anyone care about this book (except the PCH crowd) until they brought a novel interpretation to the big screen?

If DC can start to do this on TV and the big screen, they can begin to build a new generation of fans. I don't think you can EVER count Marvel out of the race, they will figure out a way to give DC a good fight. If the 3rd tier characters continue to be gold mines, they surely have a lot of material to pull from. But they really need to get Spider-Man and FF back, in my opinion, as they are like their Superman and Batman.

I happen to collect and love both Marvel and DC SA keys- to me, they compliment each other. Do you think any of this can be attributed to the top keys (SC 4, BB 28, and SC 22) being 1st SA appearances of GA characters and not original creations?

Captain America, Sub-mariner, the Human Torch all appeared in Timelys and if you read some of the 1st Mystic Series and a few other GA books you will see other characters who the later heroes might have been based on. I think it's Mystic 5 that had a Hulk like character who changed when he was angry. There were certainly spider characters before.

I think it might have to do with the soap opera type story lines, at least with Spidey it seemed every story was filed with teenage angst. While Superman/Batman...Flash, GL etc... just took care of the weird villains/aliens/scientists and finished the story in one book...for the most part.

I love DC characters, but Marvel reached for heartstrings. Just personal preference, I loved Indiana Jones movies, tear jerkers, not so much;) but they do sell. This may prove that men are really more sentimental than people here admit;) because there were definitely more male readers of Marvel;)

Leave it to you Sha, to say it so succinctly. I remember when I bought my friends collection and started to read Spider-Man - I must have been around 14 - I couldn't stop reading them, it was like watching a soap opera like you say, of an exciting teenagers life, which was like a drug you had to have more of it. I was already a DC-head by then, but I knew what everyone was talking about after I started reading Marvels. I can't take that away from them they knew how to pull the heart strings of the demo they were after. :/

. . . and you're absolutely right about Marvel also refreshing GA characters - but the main focus was on the new ones they were creating. They didn't rely as heavily on that GA material in the beginning. In fact Subby was only a guest villain until the late sixties when he got his own book. Even Cap was an early guest appearance and got his own book later on.

I collect more DC than Marvel because I collect GA and I want to complete sets. I am trying to complete sets like Techs & Bats. It really depends on what you like. The only Marvel I collect is Spiderman and I only go for DC keys after that along with the full run. I don't like just having a key and not really owning anything else (I like to read them).

DC is still very popular. Batman is probably the most popular hero ever other than Spiderman. You also have to understand Batman has a huge amount of comics. When spiderman was in the Bronze Age, Detectives were already at 400 & Batman was at 220. DC tends to recycle its heros over and over. Marvel has originality in the Silver Age and even Bronze age. I honestly think it's all movie hype. If DC had movies out and Marvel didn't you would probably see the DC books being pricier.

You mean 242 or 252 sky? I think they're both cool books but 242 has seemed solid, while 252 has exploded IMO.

I think 242 exploded before 252, and it's scarcer.However, I agree, more people look for the first appearance of Supergirl than they do the first appearance of Brainiac.

Yes, 242 tougher than 252, but 252 in greater demand (and growing at a higher rate than 242) because 1st app of Supergirl, 1st app of Metallo and classic cover -- three-in-one!

Yes, 242 tougher than 252, but 252 in greater demand (and growing at a higher rate than 242) because 1st app of Supergirl, 1st app of Metallo and classic cover -- three-in-one!

I love 252, first key issue I ever tried to buy on eBay. Took me a while, I kept getting outbid until a friend taught me how to snipe, lol. LIttle did I know I was supposed to buy a 9.0 not a 5.0, lol.

I have a BB 28, but I'd give that one up in a heartbeat before I let someone touch my Supergirl book.

242 is different though...my favorite color cover;)

Not really. The Marvel crowd will sometimes say that to put down DC books, especially when rating the importance of books in comic history, but at the end of the day I don't think that impacts valuation very much (if at all).

SA DCs simply didn't create the same fervid following that SA Marvels did. Someone posted in this thread that if you're a wealthy collector and you like DCs, then you're probably more inclined to collect GAs than SAs.

Maybe DC collectors are just more practical, lol. We'd rather spend 6 figures on things like houses;)

Totally agree, Sharon, and people may be interpreting my posts as being disparaging of DCs, which they're totally not. I actually think DC collectors are more rational.

Once SA DCs hit a certain level where I found them getting too expensive by my own valuation metrics, I sold off most of my collection. I only have one big SA DC key left.

Not really. The Marvel crowd will sometimes say that to put down DC books, especially when rating the importance of books in comic history, but at the end of the day I don't think that impacts valuation very much (if at all).

SA DCs simply didn't create the same fervid following that SA Marvels did. Someone posted in this thread that if you're a wealthy collector and you like DCs, then you're probably more inclined to collect GAs than SAs.

I never saw comic books as DC or Marvel. I saw them as comic books. I loved them all, didn't matter if they were Marvel or DC or this or that or the other ....

And to a great extent, this is true for me today as well.

I'm not saying this necessarily to counter your argument. I'm just saying this whole "Is it DC or it Marvel?" thing to be so unimportant (again, to me, personally).

I never saw comic books as DC or Marvel. I saw them as comic books. I loved them all, didn't matter if they were Marvel or DC or this or that or the other ....

And to a great extent, this is true for me today as well.

I'm not saying this necessarily to counter your argument. I'm just saying this whole "Is it DC or it Marvel?" thing to be so unimportant (again, to me, personally).

I'm with you. I grew up reading both and collecting both.

However, until the early 2000s, my collection was predominantly Marvel because I collected high grade books and it was much easier to find high grade Marvels..

Ironically, the availability of Marvels is what eventually turned me off collecting them. With the advent of the internet in the mid-90s and CGC in the early 2000s, the only challenge in collecting Marvels became how big a check I could write. There was no challenge. So I sold off most of my Mavels and used the proceeds to fund acquisitions of DCs.