• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOO CGC! You bummed me out!

70 posts in this topic

It's a tough pill to swallow when you think you've got some winners and find out that your grading isn't up to par. Most of us have been there and done that and we still see some surprises.

The books look to be graded accurately so you need to become a lot more critical of books you want to send in. If you just want the books for readers then you have nothing to worry about thumbsup2.gif

Anyone want to buy a Next Men #21 CGC 7.0 foreheadslap.gif

Sorry to rain on your parade... but yeah, they all look pretty accurately graded.

If you haven't picked up a grading guide, you might want to do so (or win a trivia contest.. they used to give these out for free to the winners as an option.)

Color breaking corner creases are also killers on the grading.

That sounded a bit condescending...

This forum, and all the great people in it, are utterly spoiled and ruined by a few evil and vile natured reprobates.I HAVE HAD ENOUGH NOW. GOODBYE.

Just kidding. Look, I understand that CGC had reasons for what they graded the books, and I'm not arguing with the final decisions, just deeply depressed about them and feel a little bit flamed.gif

Shin can't help it. When you own 150,000 comic books, everyone else IS beneath you. It's not that he thinks he's better than us. It's that he IS better than us and until he sells through that mass of inventory, there's nothing we can do about it. grin.gif

(Just teasing, Shin. flowerred.gif)

Seriously though, VG+ books don't have 3 inch+ color breaking creases along with a corner chip and other VG-quality wear like your Batman #213. You may have gotten screwed on the WWBN#32, but the others look fairly graded. Your Spidey Super Stories with a hole in it wasn't going to come back NM or even VF, so I'm not sure why you're upset. confused-smiley-013.gif

That sounded a bit condescending...

This forum, and all the great people in it, are utterly spoiled and ruined by a few evil and vile natured reprobates.I HAVE HAD ENOUGH NOW. GOODBYE.

Just kidding. Look, I understand that CGC had reasons for what they graded the books, and I'm not arguing with the final decisions, just deeply depressed about them and feel a little bit flamed.gif

Heh.. you should realize that when you post on a forum populated mostly by males, that you'll tend to get solutions to your problems rather than empathy. (It's a sexual stereotype... men are problem solvers, etc.)

I've been trying to get a set of CGC'd books across all grades to see the differences between grades, so you could consider this a start on your own set of CGC books across all grades. thumbsup2.gif

Shin can't help it. When you own 150,000 comic books, everyone else IS beneath you. It's not that he thinks he's better than us. It's that he IS better than us and until he sells through that mass of inventory, there's nothing we can do about it. grin.gif

I don't actually know how many comics I have anymore... I just know I have too many. It doesn't help that I added another thousand or so in the last couple of weeks. (It's a sickness.)

So WDB, if you'd like some high grade comics, let me know and I'd be happy to send you some... flowerred.gif

This one has a tight spine, white to off white pages, and a few dings in the upper left and on the cover. A 4.5?!? AUGHH!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulled the football away from him! BOOO!!!!

b213.jpg

There's a 3" long crease on the top right fron cover on the Bats 213, thus the 4.5. Accurate grade if you ask me.

I've been trying to get a set of CGC'd books across all grades to see the differences between grades, so you could consider this a start on your own set of CGC books across all grades. thumbsup2.gif

Ummm...you do realize that this is a stupid idea, right. Not sure if you were kidding or not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ummm...you do realize that this is a stupid idea, right. Not sure if you were kidding or not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

me thinks it would be easier just to buy their grading book, with the examples of the same book down through the grades... confused-smiley-013.gif

me thinks it would be easier just to buy their grading book, with the examples of the same book down through the grades... confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you referring to the Overstreet Grading Guide? That isn't CGC's grading handbook. CGC has never published their grading standards. The OGG will certainly get you in the ballpark the vast majority of the time.

Although their (CGC's) grading is based primarily on Overstreet standards, there are several important deviations from Overstreet in CGC's "secret recipe".

As long as the books that he's picking up are part of his want list and at a reseasonable price, then what's the problem. If I see a low grade cgc avengers I consider picking it up to

1. complete my run

2. see what a 4.0 looks like in my hands without going through the ship and wait process with my time and money. Even low grade cgc will sell to someone. 893blahblah.gif

Are you referring to the Overstreet Grading Guide? That isn't CGC's grading handbook. CGC has never published their grading standards.

Although their (CGC's) grading is based primarily on Overstreet standards, there are several important deviations from Overstreet in CGC's "secret recipe".

opps, my bad! tonofbricks.gif

just wishful thinking, i guess!! grin.gif

I got this one that day at the convention, and was hoping for an 8.0 or 8.5: (a 7.5 still isn't bad, but you know how it is with those CREAM pages...)

st115.jpg

gossip.gifThe label says "White pages".

Crack the books you don;t like. Keep the label with them. Call for grader notes. Examine the unslabbed books very carefully. Look at them as if you were going to buy them from a disreputable dealer known for overgrading. Compare notes to the OS Grading Guide. MAKE YOUR OWN NOTES in a notebook of what you have discovered. Contnue and soon yo will have a much better idea of what to expect and also a much better idea of what to consider inaccurate in the CGC result.

This is great advice to anyone just embarking on their CGC submissions. thumbsup2.gif

2 years ago was my first subm. to CGC, I thought I could grade pretty good. Hard lesson came back from Florida. Two years later, although I feel more comfortable in my grading when submitting, I still screw up.

CGC has made me become so much harder on my books, now I tend to undergrade foreheadslap.gif when I submit.

By the way folks, I want BOOO! to be a new terminology. It's a great thing to say instead of the more traditional "S**T!" or "[!@#%^&^]!" You have to put a little "e" into it to get the right inflection: "BEEEUUUHHH!"

Try it at home! Tell your friends!

I appreciate all the sympathy, co-miserating and opinions given in this thread. Honestly, I can now understand how the Batman, Shazam, Strange Tales and Werewolf By Night were graded, even though the Werewolf one got a raw deal IMHO. The Spidey Super Stories and Black Magic deserved better though. Spine Roll and itty bitty chip missing be damned!

Call for the grading Notes. Then you will know what you missed.

Yes I agree with this, still wish they'd print em and send em out with the books so you could look at the notes and observe the defect.

The Spidey Super Stories and Black Magic deserved better though. Spine Roll and itty bitty chip missing be damned!

In my 1st submission....I included this ASM 181 thinking it to be a 9.2/9.4

ASM 181

It came back a 6.5 due to an itty bitty piece missing on the back cover. tonofbricks.gif

The lesson?

Be sure to grade the BC as well. foreheadslap.gif