• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Draft- Captains come and pick

934 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. hi.gif

Back from part 2 of my vacation..Charelston SC

(We got to see the tail end of Charley.. weather sucked, nuff said ) and I wanted to say a few things.

First off.. I appologize for opening a can of worms when I made the announcement of my decision to leave team ZARF.

I will get a mop and bucket and, clean up any aisle I made a mess in.

As I said in my previous post.. my decision to leave ZARF was not at all easy for me.. or a decision I wanted to make.And after making it.. I now regret posting it, but it had to be done.

I have been fooling myself recently , living on borrowed time.

And that time has run out.

The time I found I was spending here on the boards, was really not allowing me to be the father, or business owner I really needed to be.

I have an addictive personality.. and this forum can be like crack to an addict.

With all the great members, posts, threads.. flames.. rants... comic talk.. I found myself spending a large portion of the time I was supposed to be " working" .. reading threads, making posts, making/replying to PM, ..let alone surfing Ebay, ComicLink, uploading photos etc...

Well I just cant justify being that selfish with my time anymore...for those of you that might not know me ..

I take care of this little thing from sunup to sundown..

Ellenpatioedgesmallest.JPG

Ellendaddyaugustsmall.JPG

And I try and run my Stained Glass studio in my free time, and nights..

Here is a recent commision for our local Hockey Team.

Icehallwayfromdoorsmall.JPG

And I must admit.. I found myself letting Ellen watch a video , while I replied to a MK taunt, or as I dl a few photos of recent comic buys.

I just knew in my heart that I was being selfish.

Or as I made a few new posts/replies to threads here , I would look over stare at the pile of Invoices I knew needed to be entered into quickbooks.. or the 3 new clients I was supposed to create sketches for and fax them design options.

All the while I justified I will get to it tommorow...

I just wanna read this 20 page flame thread...

Well you get the picture...something had to give.

When I first added my name to the Grading Contest... I was not aware it was going to be teams... let alone I would be picked at random to be a captain.

The fun we had here awhile back with Flinkgate was a blast.. and I was really looking foward to the contest.. but last week while I was on vacation , and came home to see 3 large commisions I had made bids for ..came through..

I just knew I had to stop myself now.

While I am extremely excited and happy about my home life, and business success..it does make me sad to think of all the chrapp I will miss here..Darn you guys for making this such a fun place!!

Reading all the reports from the recent Chicago Con.. made me envious and jealous that I could not take part.. or purchase such awesome comics that I see many of you buying... but at the same time.. I was more then happy to hear the stories,really excited to see the photos, and artwork of all those who went.

And in the end.. I am glad to at least be able to scratch the comic itch I have.. even if it is just living through some of the forum members posts about their comic related exploits.

I really did not mean for this post to become a long winded , drama queen type of post.. 893blahblah.gif

I guess I just wanted to say to all of you ..

I am not going anywhere.. I will still be around the boards , just not as vocal, or with my previous tenacity, and if you see me posting to much in the future.. send me a PM and ask me if I got my homework done first!

My love , zeal, passion, or respect for comics has in no way diminished, it has just been relagated to the back burner for awhile.

And most of all

To my old ZARF mates.. sorry to bail out on you. flowerred.gif... carry on.. and may the new team FEAR rule with an eagle eye.. and may you have an uncanny knack at gussing WTF CGC might have graded the comics presented to you by Niko, and UV.

Listen well to your New Captain Redhook.. (besides.. when you have "HOOK" in your name.. how can you not be a captain? confused-smiley-013.gif).. he will lead you well.

Guess that is about it.

Take care.

Z

I apologize for causing such a ruckus.....and also to deathlok for it being late in the evening and me being way too cranky. I also completely forgot all the cool prizes at stake, so yeah, I shouldn't have been so casually assuming about the rules. I really underestimated the reaction.

Team FEAR is happy to welcome Eddly.

TEAM F-E-A-R.......be afraid.......be very afraid.

ok, my irish temper often gets me into trouble, so here it goes;

i consider Red one of my board buddies but disagreed with the mystery man concept. i realize it's over and am glad all is back to normal and the flaming has ceased.

BUT, here's my problem with Team 17 (just for the record as i propose no changes). the members on this team were all johnny-come-latelys to the party (for whatever reason).

up to a point i could accept the idea of them not being subject to the draft as that was now clearly impractical and UV allowed it. (it is his/Nikos contest after all).

so, UV suggested Shiverbones and Aces mentions BOC may be available (and then AlexH admitted that he was going to "go" after those two anyway.) and then 10 minutes after UV gives his approval for a team and insists on shiver, blutobc comes on and asks in and is ignored for well over a week, while Team 17 goes after a handpicked 4th member. 12 days later we see the name Paradisecomics for the first time.

so, registering late actually proved to be a bonus as none of the 4 players on the team were subject to being drafted elsewhere and there likely are no rookies (as there are on any number of other teams.) don't see how this was Fair (IMO). i think this is actually what deathlock was referring to when he cautioned against a "lopsided" team.

ok, Rant over................. sumo.gif let the contest begin devil.gif

I gave AlexH freedom to pick his own team, i said i would do nothing, and he found four players which was the requirement, so he was free to pick anyone he wanted to.

i understand and it's your game.

BUT, what makes sense about 16 teams (who signed up on-time) being subject to drafting a restricted pool of players and then the "johnny-come-latelys" get to choose their own handpicked team??? (while one potential player gets ignored and sits and waits for someone to drop out).

again, i don't expect anything to be done, but i wasn't going to sit by and be quiet since this was NOT fair (IMO). having said that again, thanks for putting this all together and I look forward to participating................. grin.gif

For the record...I wanted to start this team so I could add people who wanted to be in the competition in the first place but weren't able to get in. Had BOC or Shiver, or PC decided they didn't want in, I would have had to find a different 4th. At the time I only knew of these 3 wanting to be in the competition (unfortunitely I didn't see Eddly, or he would have been asked).

The other member that is now on the "bench" was not available at the time I was putting together this team. There is no conspiriacy here, really. We just want to have fun. flowerred.gif

There are no bench players confused.gif

Cool, now that the seventeen teams are in place is the floor open for pre-season trades? Great! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Our first trade involves 3 teams, but there are of course contingencies in the event the 3rd team does not want our 1st trade, in which case there is a 4th team involved and I will trade their 2nd player for... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Great post shows what life should really be about .

Best to you and your young family , it doesn't last long your kids will be grown up before you know it .

Plus we will all be here when she is all grown up, posting away. sorry.gif

Hey everyone. hi.gif

Back from part 2 of my vacation..Charelston SC

(We got to see the tail end of Charley.. weather sucked, nuff said ) and I wanted to say a few things.

First off.. I appologize for opening a can of worms when I made the announcement of my decision to leave team ZARF.

I will get a mop and bucket and, clean up any aisle I made a mess in.

As I said in my previous post.. my decision to leave ZARF was not at all easy for me.. or a decision I wanted to make.And after making it.. I now regret posting it, but it had to be done.

I have been fooling myself recently , living on borrowed time.

And that time has run out.

The time I found I was spending here on the boards, was really not allowing me to be the father, or business owner I really needed to be.

I have an addictive personality.. and this forum can be like crack to an addict.

With all the great members, posts, threads.. flames.. rants... comic talk.. I found myself spending a large portion of the time I was supposed to be " working" .. reading threads, making posts, making/replying to PM, ..let alone surfing Ebay, ComicLink, uploading photos etc...

Well I just cant justify being that selfish with my time anymore...for those of you that might not know me ..

I take care of this little thing from sunup to sundown..

Ellendaddyaugustsmall.JPG

And I try and run my Stained Glass studio in my free time, and nights..

Here is a recent commision for our local Hockey Team.

Icehallwayfromdoorsmall.JPG

And I must admit.. I found myself letting Ellen watch a video , while I replied to a MK taunt, or as I dl a few photos of recent comic buys.

I just knew in my heart that I was being selfish.

Or as I made a few new posts/replies to threads here , I would look over stare at the pile of Invoices I knew needed to be entered into quickbooks.. or the 3 new clients I was supposed to create sketches for and fax them design options.

All the while I justified I will get to it tommorow...

I just wanna read this 20 page flame thread...

Well you get the picture...something had to give.

When I first added my name to the Grading Contest... I was not aware it was going to be teams... let alone I would be picked at random to be a captain.

The fun we had here awhile back with Flinkgate was a blast.. and I was really looking foward to the contest.. but last week while I was on vacation , and came home to see 3 large commisions I had made bids for ..came through..

I just knew I had to stop myself now.

While I am extremely excited and happy about my home life, and business success..it does make me sad to think of all the chrapp I will miss here..Darn you guys for making this such a fun place!!

Reading all the reports from the recent Chicago Con.. made me envious and jealous that I could not take part.. or purchase such awesome comics that I see many of you buying... but at the same time.. I was more then happy to hear the stories,really excited to see the photos, and artwork of all those who went.

And in the end.. I am glad to at least be able to scratch the comic itch I have.. even if it is just living through some of the forum members posts about their comic related exploits.

I really did not mean for this post to become a long winded , drama queen type of post.. 893blahblah.gif

I guess I just wanted to say to all of you ..

I am not going anywhere.. I will still be around the boards , just not as vocal, or with my previous tenacity, and if you see me posting to much in the future.. send me a PM and ask me if I got my homework done first!

My love , zeal, passion, or respect for comics has in no way diminished, it has just been relagated to the back burner for awhile.

And most of all

To my old ZARF mates.. sorry to bail out on you. flowerred.gif... carry on.. and may the new team FEAR rule with an eagle eye.. and may you have an uncanny knack at gussing WTF CGC might have graded the comics presented to you by Niko, and UV.

Listen well to your New Captain Redhook.. (besides.. when you have "HOOK" in your name.. how can you not be a captain? confused-smiley-013.gif).. he will lead you well.

Guess that is about it.

Take care.

Z

Z,

You have a cute little girl there. You are wise to spend time with her. Trust me, that time goes fast. Kudos to you for identifying your "crack" problem. I'm sure everyone will understand your reasons. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Plus we will all be here when she is all grown up, posting away. sorry.gif

By then will every post be related to THE GREAT CRASH?.. otherwise know as

"The Big JC"

Or will they be about... can you believe Spawn #1 sold for $50,000 on Ebay?

(just kidding)

Z

"Cool, now that the seventeen teams are in place is the floor open for pre-season trades? Great!

Our first trade involves 3 teams, but there are of course contingencies in the event the 3rd team does not want our 1st trade, in which case there is a 4th team involved and I will trade their 2nd player for... "

Did I just hear UV's head explode?

"Cool, now that the seventeen teams are in place is the floor open for pre-season trades? Great!

Our first trade involves 3 teams, but there are of course contingencies in the event the 3rd team does not want our 1st trade, in which case there is a 4th team involved and I will trade their 2nd player for... "

Did I just hear UV's head explode?

Close to it. crazy.gif

Tomorrow i will discuss with my helper (thumbsup2.gif) about the final rules and i hope to have them posted.

To paraphrase another (lesser) Logan:

"I'm the best at what I do and what I do ain't pretty... not like that stained glass or Ze-Man's lil' daughter."

Way to handle yourself like a NON-DQ (for once)! Now don't bother replying to that taunt and go get some work done! wink.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I can see it now Zeman....you spend all your time watching Ellen, only to find her being posted in the Babe Test by BOC in 15 years! Life is a hoot! 27_laughing.gif Take care. Good decision.

Captain Hook

Gem Mint 10.0.

What, the grading contest still hasn't started yet? 893whatthe.gif Oh well, nevermind then.

Cute kid, Kenny. You're making the right decision. I can't wait to have kids so that I can quit the boards too. 893frustrated.gif

Good luck to you Ze!

You obviously know how to pick priorities.

She's a cutie, and I'm sure the reason you want to get up in the morning. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You won't miss anything here.

Same old [!@#%^&^] every day.

gossip.gif

I can't wait to have kids so that I can quit the boards too. 893frustrated.gif

Quit?

Who said I was quitting?

I just had to leave team ZARF.

Have no fear..I have countless , pointless, trivial , typo laden post's to make in the future!!!

I just wont make nearly as many as I would like to make!

(so consider your self spared from a majority of my future thoughts)

And FFB.. kids are more work.. but better then I ever imagined.

I am lucky.. thnx all for kind comments.

And Capt Hook.. I will need to dig way back in your posts.... but I remember a few posts you made about your daughter.. and meeting the boys who come a callin....

If I recall.. you had some good ideas about how to.. how shall we say.. convince them to leave?

devil.gif

blush.gif

Z

Quit?

Who said I was quitting?

Oh we'll drive you off soon enough, don't worry. devil.gif

Quit?

Who said I was quitting?

Oh we'll drive you off soon enough, don't worry. devil.gif

HEY!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifstooges.gifWILL HAVE NONE OF THAT NOW MISTER!!!!

Hey Z! You're a good daddy and I can't think of anything more important for you to be doing than taking care of sweet Ellen. She'll love you all the more for the attention you give her.

Besides in just a few short years she'll be going to kindergarden and you'll have all those empty hours to fill...unless you have another kid and then you're screwed. wink.gif

You know flink....I don't like this fraternizing with our ex-Captain and all this coochy-coo-look-at-the-cute-baby stuff. We have to start focusing on the mission before us.

We will destroy.

We will strike terror.

We will crush the bones of all competing teams.

Um, we will grade really really good.

Do we have an understanding Flink?

No Mercy.

No Mistakes.

No BABY PICTURES!

We are not Team Gerber!

We are not Team Pampers!

We are not Team Desenex!

We are not Team Barney!

We are not Team Playskool!

WE ARE TEAM FEAR!

Got that?

Now go grade some raw comics and then hit the sack.

That is all.

Captain Hook