• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,726 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, littledoom said:

Zaniac spotted on a poster in Loki season 2

Zaniac? WTF is that? Have these clowns not learned from past books that they paid well over the odds for only to plummet months if not weeks later? Good luck to anyone selling one though and tough titty  to anyone buying one.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:42 PM, Frankielo said:

That splash page is burned in my memory!At 12 years old Captain America 149 was The start of my marvel comic journey.within a few months Steve Engelhart had taken over writer duties (and bought the book back from near cancellation to be one of their best sellers) but it was Sal Buscema’s art that originally drew me in when Frank Robbins took over I thought it wrecked the book, Steve subsequently left a few issues later. luckily I was branching out to other books such as Engelhart’s avengers and Defenders amongst others. If Frank Robbins had been drawing the book when I started it may have ended right there. Been waiting 48 years to get that off my chest! 

Yup

Robbins ruined Cap for me  :tonofbricks:

On 7/19/2022 at 1:13 AM, divad said:

Yep, I remember when I first saw that I said, "What did they do with Cap?":roflmao:

I was buying FF & Cap back issues from a collector who lived down the street from me. I was probably 10 at the time. Every week I’d go back, and buy as many of the next few issues I could afford. I competed FF 80-200 from that collection, and was buying Cap from 149 up.  Loved those books.   Until I got home with the first Robbins issues....

BA09B0B3-D082-4E4E-9F1F-F032961E3B40.gif.3479a763d7d6f0126dd40f32fbe81a2e.gif

These were nice sales:

MARVEL SUPER SPECIAL #4 THE BEATLES STORY! 1978 VF/NM 9.0 W FAB FOUR! PHOTOS MAG

On 7/21/2022 at 9:02 PM, pickycollector said:

Actually, although it may sound impossible,  there is one artist that I consider worse than Robbins, and it's Erik Larsen :sick:

I think Tom Lyle has everyone beat. 

On 7/22/2022 at 1:44 PM, Beastfeast said:
On 7/21/2022 at 7:02 PM, pickycollector said:

Actually, although it may sound impossible,  there is one artist that I consider worse than Robbins, and it's Erik Larsen :sick:

I think Tom Lyle has everyone beat. 

Some of the tail end Jack Kirby fourth world artwork is horrid. Everyone looks like they are melting.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:42 PM, Frankielo said:

That splash page is burned in my memory!At 12 years old Captain America 149 was The start of my marvel comic journey.within a few months Steve Engelhart had taken over writer duties (and bought the book back from near cancellation to be one of their best sellers) but it was Sal Buscema’s art that originally drew me in when Frank Robbins took over I thought it wrecked the book, Steve subsequently left a few issues later. luckily I was branching out to other books such as Engelhart’s avengers and Defenders amongst others. If Frank Robbins had been drawing the book when I started it may have ended right there. Been waiting 48 years to get that off my chest! 

Never thought that Frank Robbins' Milton Caniff style fitted the super-hero genre.

Only character where I though he did well was Batman... especially the cowl with collar (similar to the recent Batman movie)

298389587_7754523307955807_254636308091267386_n.thumb.jpg.451f669c07f410943780a69b450ef12f.jpg