• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, MAR1979 said:

Battlestar Galactica #1 - Late least year the regular/standard edition CGC 9.8W was around $100, the Whitman 3-Pack Distributed w/diamond price area + blank UPC was $150-$200. I see now the standard is going for $410-$430. They are all from same seller which gives me some cause for pause but the CGC certs numbers were different

image.thumb.png.869ae4beed8b0f16e2e1376d7b52d382.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265669147158
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265660949404

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265644747285

The book has the Census Pop sweet spot numbers Speculators and Flippers love. Enough high grade supply to easily manipulate, but not enough that the book is everywhere.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Battlestar Galactica 1 (3/79, Marvel Comics)
            Adaptation of the first episode of the television series, part 1 of 3
Universal 1,476 9.29   1 509 405 183 98 85 63 34 39 13 11 9 6 11 3 2 2 1 1        

Wish I had held out for a copy with a perfect wrap of the classic Cockrum cover but I got negotiated a nice deal on this one in 2021 when book was cold, so no complaints.

Battlestar1-whitman.jpg

P.S. My avatar on this forum was taken from a Galactica #1 cover scan but in my case the image is a nod to Avengers 181.  

Well I for one am glad I succumbed to nostalgia a few years back and picked up a 9.8 on the cheap. 

On 5/17/2022 at 7:05 PM, rexinnih said:

Well I for one am glad I succumbed to nostalgia a few years back and picked up a 9.8 on the cheap. 

are they ever going to do something with this for TV again? the reboot was so good until it jumped the shark a bit. I don't know what else they can do in that universe, but still

On 4/4/2022 at 7:36 PM, boomtown said:

Remember the good old days in the late 70's when comic stores would go out of business and have real liquidation sales? I'd come home with a stack of books and my Mom would get on to me about buying more than 1 copy of the same book. "It's the same exact book!!! Why would you waste your quarter on the same exact book!! Just read the first one twice. What am I going to do with you..."

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20220404_180739718.thumb.jpg.9ad3eaffbae31159417bed0e63f6751e.jpg

That'll teach you Mom

unless you came home with 10 copies of the Human Fly or Omega. although nowadays they've probaby exploded too.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:27 AM, MAR1979 said:

Looks like krap so yeah I'm dissin' it . :kidaround:

CGC costs at all-time highs and rising and they have NO interest in resolving a CHRONIC issue that does not seem to affect their competitors.  While I did get stuck with a few I refuse to purchase any CGC slabs with Newton rings, something that has become exceedingly more difficult due to their proliferation.

I have a hard time understanding the hatred toward CGC about Newton rings.  It's physics. It's what happens when plastic touches plastic.  I have to assume that Barex did not have the same refractive (or reflective) quality that the current plastics have - and thus the proliferation of newton rings. I support anyone not buying newton-ringed books if they don't like them, but the vitriol puzzles me.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, seanfingh said:

I have a hard time understanding the hatred toward CGC about Newton rings.  It's physics. It's what happens when plastic touches plastic.  I have to assume that Barex did not have the same refractive (or reflective) quality that the current plastics have - and thus the proliferation of newton rings. I support anyone not buying newton-ringed books if they don't like them, but the vitriol puzzles me.

Its a subset of slabs that display the rings which means no excuse for getting back to customer like that. They simply need to inspect and reslab. CGC simply has abandoned quality control to pad the blackrocks execs bonus'. 

CGC may be the current market leader but much of their product looks cheap and unprofessional.  Partly due to defenders and apologists  they have no incentive to do anything other than raise prices

Regarding physics, to put it mildly gravity is one of its very pillars. Does this mean when CGC drops a slab and sends it to us damaged and broken that we should be OK with that as it was due to gravity which too is physics? IMHO it is same as newton rings; reslab it so it looks nice and professional and then and only then send it to the paying customer.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/18/2022 at 8:13 AM, MAR1979 said:

Its a subset of slabs that display the rings which means no excuse for getting back to customer like that. They simply need to inspect and reslab. CGC simply has abandoned quality control to pad the blackrocks execs bonus'. 

CGC may be the current market leader but much of their product looks cheap and unprofessional.  Partly due to defenders and apologists  they have no incentive to do anything other than raise prices

Regarding physics, to put it mildly gravity is one of its very pillars. Does this mean when CGC drops a slab and sends it to us damaged and broken that we should be OK with that as it was due to gravity which too is physics? IMHO it is same as newton rings; reslab it so it looks nice and professional and then and only then send it to the paying customer.

Well, it's also sloppy design work.  Is it really impossible to design a slabbing system that completely eliminates the chance that plastic will come in contact with other plastic in the slab and create the Newton Rings? 

I also agree on the "apologists" - I'd like to see people generally be less accepting of low-quality work in all fields.  CGC has zero incentive to fix this problem because it's not impacting their business.  People just go right on sending in thousands of books and letting the Newton Rings issue (and others) slide.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:13 AM, MAR1979 said:

I was going to try to rebut this but then I realized the logic was so completely airtight and flawless that there was no hope.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:04 PM, kimik said:

Getting this back on track, I am seeing increased demand for ASM #130-200 this spring at shows. The non-#194 key/1st app issues have started to pop a bit already looking at GPA, and most issues are moving up across the board. It will be interesting to see how high #149 will go based on the early reception to Ben Reilly as a villain now. 

I'll second this from personal experience.  Last month I started to sell my comics on eBay (mainly my undercopies/"doubles").  The first comics I put up were the "low-hanging-fruit" I knew I could turn over quickly - namely ASM.  All were LOW to MID-grade.  I researched MyComicShop asking prices, Overstreet Guide listed value, and comparable sold copies on eBay, then shot for the moon and listed at close to (but never more than) the highest value of the three, figuring what doesn't sell I can relist at a lower price.  

ALL copies of ASM below #200 sold within 2 weeks, with most gone the first week, a few dozen books total.  Again, these were (mostly) non-keys and lower grade.  

On 5/18/2022 at 4:38 PM, djzombi said:

I'll second this from personal experience.  Last month I started to sell my comics on eBay (mainly my undercopies/"doubles").  The first comics I put up were the "low-hanging-fruit" I knew I could turn over quickly - namely ASM.  All were LOW to MID-grade.  I researched MyComicShop asking prices, Overstreet Guide listed value, and comparable sold copies on eBay, then shot for the moon and listed at close to (but never more than) the highest value of the three, figuring what doesn't sell I can relist at a lower price.  

ALL copies of ASM below #200 sold within 2 weeks, with most gone the first week, a few dozen books total.  Again, these were (mostly) non-keys and lower grade.  

Now is the time to start stockpiling cheap copies of #200-299 where you can find them.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:11 PM, kimik said:

Now is the time to start stockpiling cheap copies of #200-299 where you can find them.

What would you say is a "cheap" price for a run-filler in this section of ASM?  (i.e. not 210, 238, 252).

On 5/18/2022 at 7:37 PM, MattTheDuck said:

What would you say is a "cheap" price for a run-filler in this section of ASM?  (i.e. not 210, 238, 252).

Personally, I would say scoop up higher grade if you can find them for $5 and under; mid-grade at $1-2.00.  They're out there.  

On 5/18/2022 at 5:47 PM, djzombi said:
On 5/18/2022 at 5:37 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Personally, I would say scoop up higher grade if you can find them for $5 and under; mid-grade at $1-2.00.  They're out there.  

Agreed. There are plenty of minor first apps and classic stories (e.g. Kraven's Last Hunt) that will be in demand. Hobgoblin and Punisher apps as well. Some of these have already popped to $20+ in NM, but they will go higher.

FWIW, based on the price gains for other McFarlane covers, the ASM #302-328 McFarlane covers are worth accumulating now as well, along with the Venom covers above #330. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:02 PM, kimik said:

FWIW, based on the price gains for other McFarlane covers, the ASM #302-328 McFarlane covers are worth accumulating now as well, along with the Venom covers above #330. 

With the books I have posted, this has been my experience as well - that the McFarlane books and Venom covers have their devoted following, and have received the most "watchers" on my listings of the books between #300-400.  (but now we're talking Copper and not Bronze  :)  )  

On 5/18/2022 at 11:13 AM, MAR1979 said:

Thanks for the reductio ad absurdum - that always makes for good discussion.  Also thanks for ignoring the fact that barex is no longer available. There were virtually no newton rings when the cases and/or inner sleeves were made from barex.

The good news is that you answered my question. The vitriol comes because you want what you want - newton ring free cases. I get it. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, seanfingh said:

Because A) presentation is part of what you are paying for when you are getting a book graded by CGC. And if anyone wants to argue differently, then why the custom labels? And B) CGC's public response to the newton ring issue was pathetic as is their lack of effort in regards to doing anything about it. 

If an individual is fine with the newton rings, that's cool, but let's stop defending a billion dollar corporation that now provides a lower quality of service, and takes longer to do so, while at the same time increasing prices for said service.  

I don't display what slabs I have, so I don't know how the ones with Newton Rings would look. I know that those with the rings are seen if I hold the slab just so, but when I do that, I can't see, or at least appreciate the cover. When I move it so I can, I don't see the rings without looking for them. That's me. 

In the right light I can understand a wall display looking like a 60s Pink Floyd background projection, but I don't want my books in any light.

EDIT: Oops- Just remembered this is a 'Heating Up' thread. Sorry for keeping it OT.

Edited by MR SigS

On 5/19/2022 at 2:19 PM, darkstar said:

Because A) presentation is part of what you are paying for when you are getting a book graded by CGC. And if anyone wants to argue differently, then why the custom labels? And B) CGC's public response to the newton ring issue was pathetic as is their lack of effort in regards to doing anything about it. 

If an individual is fine with the newton rings, that's cool, but let's stop defending a billion dollar corporation that now provides a lower quality of service, and takes longer to do so, while at the same time increasing prices for said service.  

CGC is a billion dollar corporation? Or are you referencing Blackstone?

On 5/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, batmiesta said:

Is this heating up or just dodgy? GPA is around the $350 mark. 

G/S Super heroes 1 9.6

The bidders past C $415 could be shills. Both are low feedback with 66% activity with the seller. 

(shrug) could be dodgy, but I can see new buyers spec-ing it if they liked the Morbius film. I haven't seen it, so I don't know if that's likely.