• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Why would anyone be a sucker? There's something very intimate about someone's signature of their name. My mom just passed away in March, and every time I come across her writing on something, especially her signature, her life feels a little more real to me again. There's just something about her writing. It's just so...personal. It's clear evidence of her existence, very specific to her movements and thoughts when she was alive.

These artists hold a lot of meaning to fans. Having a copy of their (mass-produced) book is special in itself for the art that it is. But having their personal sig and/or sketch is something altogether different and again....personal....to add to one's collection.

(thumbs u

I entirely agree too. :)

Why would anyone be a sucker? There's something very intimate about someone's signature of their name. My mom just passed away in March, and every time I come across her writing on something, especially her signature, her life feels a little more real to me again. There's just something about her writing. It's just so...personal. It's clear evidence of her existence, very specific to her movements and thoughts when she was alive.

These artists hold a lot of meaning to fans. Having a copy of their (mass-produced) book is special in itself for the art that it is. But having their personal sig and/or sketch is something altogether different and again....personal....to add to one's collection.

(thumbs u

That's truly very sentimental, and I understand what you're saying . . . but Stan Lee is not your mother. ;)

(thumbs u

That's truly very sentimental, and I understand what you're saying . . . but Stan Lee is not your mother. ;)

:eyeroll:

(thumbs u

Stan Lee is his daddy? :)

Strange Tales 178. Magus and Warlock rumors. And tough to find in high grade with that black cover.

They're not ultra high grade but I have a 9.0/9.2 copy packed up for shipment to CGC and an 8.5 /9.0 right behind that one. :wishluck:

Strange Tales 178. Magus and Warlock rumors. And tough to find in high grade with that black cover.

...and an awesome black cover it is...... it's an Icon cover to me..... done by the quintessential Warlock artist..... the book has a lot going for it, as does Marvel Premiere 1. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...and an awesome black cover it is...... it's an Icon cover to me..... done by the quintessential Warlock artist.....

Sure, now that it's valuable it's suddenly an iconic cover, but I remember nominating it years ago in a Top Bronze Age Cover thread and it getting berated out of existence.

...and an awesome black cover it is...... it's an Icon cover to me..... done by the quintessential Warlock artist.....

Sure, now that it's valuable it's suddenly an iconic cover, but I remember nominating it years ago in a Top Bronze Age Cover thread and it getting berated out of existence.

Could be said about a lot of key books.

FF1 - horrible

Spiderman 1 - not good

X-men 94 - opinions vary widely but one of the lessor covers from 94-141 IMO

Anyone suggesting Strange Tales 110 and Ironman 55 are "classic"?

And some of the classic covers that have fallen off

Still classic in my books and have risen in value but are nowhere near what they were once considered relative to recently found classic covers

Avengers 93 100

Thor 193

DD 158

Defenders 10

FF 112

Submariner 8

Higher value making it a classic is the norm.

ST 178 and CM 29 are my 2 favorite Starlin covers, with Warlock 9 and CM 33 very close behind

ST 178 and CM 29 are my 2 favorite Starlin covers, with Warlock 9 and CM 33 very close behind

Just on covers 178 is my favorite but do yourself a favor and line up warlock 9, 10, 11 and 15 right next to each other and try to pick a favorite. And than go and read them. Great art and great story and one amazing run.

FF1 - horrible

How you see the cover to FF#1 as "horrible" is beyond me. It’s a very nice composition, balanced and intriguing and it doesn’t let the reader imagine in full what lies within – he would expect a "classic monster story" while here we have what would have given a new meaning to the word "superhero". ;)