• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Years from now, people will be laughing at the stupidity of getting a signatures scrawled all over a high-grade vintage comic book, and the fact that a company actually promoted this insane practice.

Agreed, why would someone take a chance on ruining a FF1 or AF 15, given how often Stan uses what seems to be the worst sharpie in the building at any given show?

I only have 1 Stan SS book that I bought for a fair price on ebay because I didn't wanna risk him or his ham fisted handlers messing up one of my books. Rather pay the money and choose from what was for sale and It took me a while to find one that fit my criteria:

Graded at least an 8 (it's an 8.5), ASM that he actually wrote that has some significance (#97, Green Goblin drugs issue), Clean signature with good placement (across Spidey's bended knee, above the jet glider smoke)

There's quite a few SS books I'd love to have for the PC like a Captain Marvel #29 by Starlin but I've heard that he won't use metallic ink and it won't look good in black or blue IMO

Years from now, people will be laughing at the stupidity of getting a signatures scrawled all over a high-grade vintage comic book, and the fact that a company actually promoted this insane practice.

Agreed, why would someone take a chance on ruining a FF1 or AF 15, given how often Stan uses what seems to be the worst sharpie in the building at any given show?

I only have 1 Stan SS book that I bought for a fair price on ebay because I didn't wanna risk him or his ham fisted handlers messing up one of my books. Rather pay the money and choose from what was for sale and It took me a while to find one that fit my criteria:

Graded at least an 8 (it's an 8.5), ASM that he actually wrote that has some significance (#97, Green Goblin drugs issue), Clean signature with good placement (across Spidey's bended knee, above the jet glider smoke)

There's quite a few SS books I'd love to have for the PC like a Captain Marvel #29 by Starlin but I've heard that he won't use metallic ink and it won't look good in black or blue IMO

I've got plenty of signature books because it was fun meeting them in person and the books were common. Also years ago it seemed like it was more common to sign the first interior page so it didn't mess up the cover artwork. I think its when the book becomes unique or uncommon in grade is where I really start to have a problem. It ruins it for many future people who would otherwise want the books.

I strongly agree with Joe Collector that more people in the future will be shaking their heads at this kind of stupidity.

does anyone ever use the back to get a signature? In a CGC case, it would still be easy to see and would not take anything away from the front cover.

I got a James O'Barr on the back cover of Caliber Presents #1, but that's where the Crow image is... so it made a lot more sense than the front cover (Vigil art).

does anyone ever use the back to get a signature? In a CGC case, it would still be easy to see and would not take anything away from the front cover.

I just had a Batman #400 done (still at CGC) with the signatures on the back.

Back cover is a duplicate "virgine" image of the front cover so there's some blank areas where the front cover copy would go, perfect place for signatures, that way the sigs aren't competing with the text on the front cover.

Don't know what the hard-core SS guys would think of it, but it made sense to me.

Usually the back is an advertisement and so a signature would probably look "clunky" on many back covers.

But it's an interesting thought. hm

Maybe. Years from now we won't have a lot of these creators still living. Anything Star Trek already looks better to me if it's signed by Leonard Nimoy. Anything Frazetta looks nice with a hand-signed Frazetta on it.

Will we really wish Stan didn't sign so many things when he is gone?

I meant the overall "signing and encapsulating rare, high-grade comics" fad, not random fanboy outliers.

And I also think that if Leonard Nimoy scrolled a big black spider on high-grade ASM,even fanboys would be irritated.

I've recommended this a million times before, but the optimal solution is:

To have the creator sign a comic-sized piece of clear, flexible plastic/Mylar and have that encapsulated on top of the sealed and graded comic.

This has made me so incredibly sad :(

Marvel Spotlight 32 9.6 SS

I think even Stan probably looked at this one after he signed it and said, "Oops."

Who controls when Stan changes to a new marker?

If I was in management for Sharpie I would make sure Stan always had a case of brand new sharpies. Stan is actually damaging Sharpie's image with these sigs too.

This has made me so incredibly sad :(

Marvel Spotlight 32 9.6 SS

I think even Stan probably looked at this one after he signed it and said, "Oops."

Who controls when Stan changes to a new marker?

If I was in management for Sharpie I would make sure Stan always had a case of brand new sharpies. Stan is actually damaging Sharpie's image with these sigs too.

If you're in person - hand him (his handlers actually) a fresh sharpie that you brought yourself and ask him to use that, and of course identify exactly where you want him to sign it.

That's the only way to get a decent signature out of him nowadays, rather than the paint-roller he uses 500 times in a row to sign books while wearing a blindfold.

This one was obviously sent to a facilitator probably not even window-bagged and so sadly, he got exactly what he asked for.

:facepalm:

Is window bagging the most secure method of avoiding damage or mishaps?

Isn't there something a bit less flexible that is in essence a "CGC" holder that is sturdy and has some sort of window that could be used?

If there isn't, there sure is a market for it. How many 9.8s get fingerbanged down to a 9.6 or lower in the process of getting a siggy? I can imagine there's quite a few.

Some folks just hamhand the spines of books like they're grabbing a freeweight or a hammer. Just watch practically any person working the register at almost any comic store in the U.S.....lol.

It's almost like they WANT to damage your books.

I'd recommended this a million times before, but the optimal solution is:

To have the creator sign a comic-sized piece of clear, flexible plastic/Mylar and have that encapsulated on top of the sealed and graded comic.

Why not just have stan sign the slab with some sort of ink that does not come off slab material?

oh sure, you won't be able to add $1000 to the price or whatever, but you'll know stan's signature is real and it won't screw up the book. if someone thinks that means you need a new slab, well i guess you can't please everyone.

Obviously signatures are meaningful, even more if you managed to met the artist/creator, but they should be on the book. :shrug:

But to me they truly make sense in the insides, where you can choose a place where the artwork is not altered or covered. Comics are not posters. :)

Why not just have stan sign the slab with some sort of ink that does not come off slab material?

Because then you couldn't get it authenticated or sell it as a Stan Lee sig. This way, you satisfy both the comic purists and the sig specualtors by having it both ways. I also think it opens up the market, as if this method was used to protect the comic, I would be interested in some sig series books.

But CGC will never change it to the proper method, as then the initial run of "scrawled on books" will have a serious stigma attached to them. Then again, demand for CGC sig grading would increase with people wanting both high-grade books and a verified sig-on-plastic/Mylar, so you never know.