• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Knee-jerk reaction...

DRAWING ON THE SLAB (which I know it's not): (thumbs u

DRAWING ON THE BOOK: :(

I mean, if you wanted a signed sketch of those characters, Trimpe was often readily available up until his passing. Why deface the book when you could have a nice signed SS copy AND a clean, separate sketch to go with it?

On the other hand, it's not a high-grade copy, and I can easily see why a big Trimpe fan might very much cherish it...

I absolutely love it! I love the uniqueness of it. I love the sentimentality of it now that he's passed. I actually appreciate sketch & sig books more, since they are more unique to the "regular ole plain" sig-only books. Now that I think about it, I've got more sketch & sig books than sig-only books. Heck, do I even have a sig-only book?

But I will qualify that in that I agree.....NO HIGH GRADE KEYS! I cringe when I see one of those "defaced". This 181 is low grade enough that I think the sketch & sig enhances it for me.

As for the overall debate, count me on the side of believing the SS books will be MORE appreciated down the line, particularly after all these artists have passed on.

And finally, as much as I would like to own sigs in my collection from various people, unless I got the sig myself, I don't trust them. The yellow labels provide me with the confidence that the sigs are authentic, thus making them worth a premium to me just for that alone. I think we would find many other comic fans out there, who don't actively collect slabs, but would drop some coin to get a guaranteed sig of one of their fave artists or writers.

How does everyone feel about this one:

Well, as much as I hate writing, signatures, etc., a 5.0 is fair game. If it makes the owner happy, so be it. :sumo:

If I was selling . . . I could see pimpin' that book big time. :grin:

Why would anyone be a sucker? There's something very intimate about someone's signature of their name. My mom just passed away in March, and every time I come across her writing on something, especially her signature, her life feels a little more real to me again. There's just something about her writing. It's just so...personal. It's clear evidence of her existence, very specific to her movements and thoughts when she was alive.

These artists hold a lot of meaning to fans. Having a copy of their (mass-produced) book is special in itself for the art that it is. But having their personal sig and/or sketch is something altogether different and again....personal....to add to one's collection.

Edited by dane323

But I will qualify that in that I agree.....NO HIGH GRADE KEYS! I cringe when I see one of those "defaced". This 181 is low grade enough that I think the sketch & sig enhances it for me.

As for the overall debate, count me on the side of believing the SS books will be MORE appreciated down the line, particularly after all these artists have passed on.

So which statement do you agree with?

That people in the future will shake their heads at HIGH-GRADE vintage comics being scrawled on, or that they be MORE appreciated. You can't have it both ways.

No one is saying there will be future-hand-wringing over a scrawled-on CGC 4.0 book, but I think there will be over a CGC 9.6 Key.

I was contract working for CGC and did that book. I think for Chuck Gower. There was a huge marker notation on the book. I think it was "11-5" and it looked bad. I went to Trimpe and talked to him about what he thought he could do. He looked at it for what seemed like two minutes. Then he mapped out that he was going to turn the "11" into the "H" in "Herb. . ."

He then quit talking to me and starting tucking in to his work. It demonstrated two things to me: (1) There are some strange ways to make lemonade when life hands you a Hulk 181 lemon; and (2) Herb Trimpe was one of the nicest, most affable guys I ever met. As quick with a smile and a laugh as anyone I've ever met.

Is there a thread of the top 10 worst Stan signatures?

Nope, but this has to be at the top of the list.

I wonder if there will ever come a day that this "Spider Roach" comic will sell for a higher premium than regular Stan sigs?

This comic has reached celebrity status on the boards here. It is talked about constantly.

I was contract working for CGC and did that book. I think for Chuck Gower. There was a huge marker notation on the book. I think it was "11-5" and it looked bad. I went to Trimpe and talked to him about what he thought he could do. He looked at it for what seemed like two minutes. Then he mapped out that he was going to turn the "11" into the "H" in "Herb. . ."

He then quit talking to me and starting tucking in to his work. It demonstrated two things to me: (1) There are some strange ways to make lemonade when life hands you a Hulk 181 lemon; and (2) Herb Trimpe was one of the nicest, most affable guys I ever met. As quick with a smile and a laugh as anyone I've ever met.

I love hearing this. What a great "save" by Herb.

On the other hand... haven't people tried to hide color touches by having sigs put over the color touch?

This comic has reached celebrity status on the boards here. It is talked about constantly.

Yeah, sure, just like the Elephant Man used to be.

Everytime I see that Spider Roach comic it puts a big smile on my face. I still don't think I would want to buy it, but..... if you're going to own a bad Stan signature, this is the one to own.

Everytime I see that Spider Roach comic it puts a big smile on my face. I still don't think I would want to buy it, but..... if you're going to own a bad Stan signature, this is the one to own.

That's the thing- sure it would be fun to own a freakshow book like this, but you'd have to be insane to pay market value for it.

That's the thing- sure it would be fun to own a freakshow book like this, but you'd have to be insane to pay market value for it.

If you bought ALL of the freakshow Stan sigs, then you could set up a Freakshow Room at the Cons and charge $5 admission. :idea:

I love hearing this. What a great "save" by Herb.

On the other hand... haven't people tried to hide color touches by having sigs put over the color touch?

Lots of people have talked about it. I am not aware of it being actually tried, or it being actually successful. lol

I love that book. It is like my Sadfan book - it went from awful, to infamous to star status.

I love that book. It is like my Sadfan book - it went from awful, to infamous to star status.

The

MARVEL Momoa poster signature has to go down in history as one of the best....FTR/FTW!