• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

FF1 - horrible

How you see the cover to FF#1 as "horrible" is beyond me. It’s a very nice composition, balanced and intriguing and it doesn’t let the reader imagine in full what lies within – he would expect a "classic monster story" while here we have what would have given a new meaning to the word "superhero". ;)

Has it ever been explained why Mr. Fantastic had to f*** about with ropes when a monster was attacking? Was the the monster's first salvo?

Yeah, I think they explained it in a retcon: apparently the monster has an S&M fetish. Subsequent attacks were with whips and leather masks with zippers.

:screwy:

And the latest Daredevil trend? How about #158 9.8 @ $400 & 15 bids!!! :o Nuff said! .

That's crazy cheap...

I'm high bidder right now. You back off my biscuit!

Bidding.

A lot.

My favorite bronze age book. It is incredibly tough to find in high grade. This book will explode at some point. I sold a 7.0 for over $500 not long ago.

My brain just exploded. :o

I've got a greggy-castoff 9.0, an 8.0 and a pile of raw copies- probably spent $250 total.

My favorite bronze age book. It is incredibly tough to find in high grade. This book will explode at some point. I sold a 7.0 for over $500 not long ago.

I've got a greggy-castoff 9.0, an 8.0 and a pile of raw copies- probably spent $250 total.

To avoid confusion: you are still talking about Hero for Hire #1, right? :)

To avoid confusion: you are still talking about Hero for Hire #1, right? :)

Yep.

Question: with all the talk of Civil War and New Warriors, why isn't Captain Marvel 34. first Nitro getting any heat?

Because newbie specs can't read and need us to point them in the direction of their latest lemming buys?

Question: with all the talk of Civil War and New Warriors, why isn't Captain Marvel 34. first Nitro getting any heat?

I loved that book as a kid. Awesome splash page. And the tie in to the graphic novel death of captain marvel was a nice bonus.

I loved that book as a kid.

I found it depressing - I bought CM 32, missed 33, then bought 34 and it was the end of the cosmic era for me - I think the next issue was a reprint and then it CM just dropped off a cliff.

I loved that book as a kid.

I found it depressing - I bought CM 32, missed 33, then bought 34 and it was the end of the cosmic era for me - I think the next issue was a reprint and then it CM just dropped off a cliff.

True. But I think I may be younger than you as for me it was just a fun read and I remember buying it off the stands. I didn't buy earlier issues until much later.

My first CM was #32 and after missing CM #33, it wasn't long after that I scoured my Marvels for Canadian dealers, then mailed Robert Crestohl for his catalog.

I had Avengers 125 and thought it and CM 32 was the beginning of a major cosmic storyline, not the ending, and #34 was like a knife in the gut. The non-Starlin Alcala art in #35 was like a punch ontop of the knife. :insane:

Finding a nicely centered 9.0+ copy of HFH 1 with good eye appeal can be daunting. GOD BLESS...

Words of Wisdom:

BUY GREGGY REJECTS

How does one do this?

The general rule of thumb here is ... always buy from greggy.

And the latest Daredevil trend? How about #158 9.8 @ $400 & 15 bids!!! :o Nuff said! .

That's crazy cheap...

Ended just over $700. Probably a good buy. Seller picked a bad ending day. Regardless, books value is overstated imo. An unattractive cover for a story with no relation to what made the run famous.