• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-WILLIE-JACKSON-4-RARE-1977-BLACK-ARCHIE-MILITANT-COVER-FN-VF-7-0-/172095466814?hash=item2811b06d3e%3Ag%3A2mgAAOSwXshWr2n0&nma=true&si=KUqzeuY1N3h3OIqHQO0ji9gXqt4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I dunno if these are hot or they have always sold (some of the asking prices are wild), but I'd like to get some of these (even though the title on the auction was deceptive -- that guy is hardly a militant!)

WOWZERS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-HULK-197-NM-9-6-Bernie-Wrightson-HIGH-GLOSS-Man-Thing-/262312349862?hash=item3d1308d0a6:g:1QEAAOSwuAVW08op

I love this cover. Don't have a copy I could call a 9.6 though. Came across a likely 9.2 and an 8.5 while rummaging this morning though.

WOWZERS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-HULK-197-NM-9-6-Bernie-Wrightson-HIGH-GLOSS-Man-Thing-/262312349862?hash=item3d1308d0a6:g:1QEAAOSwuAVW08op

I love this cover. Don't have a copy I could call a 9.6 though. Came across a likely 9.2 and an 8.5 while rummaging this morning though.

Is that typically a sought after issue and if so why, because of the Wrightson cover?

• Only Wrightson cover in the run.
  • Early Man-Thing appearance in a mainstream title. Daredevil 114 10/74
  • Collector appearance.
  • Buscema/Staton interior art.

That was a strong price for a raw book.

• Only Wrightson cover in the run.
  • Early Man-Thing appearance in a mainstream title. Daredevil 114 10/74
  • Collector appearance.
  • Buscema/Staton interior art.

That was a strong price for a raw book.

Yea, a slabbed 9.2 just sold for $60.

The issue is more sought after than the few around it because of the nifty wrightson cover I think, but for a mid-grade copy people typically cap out at an $8-$13 total cost. So there's a market for it, but probably not worth the hassle running an auction unless it is a 9.0 or better.

The seller has a few advertised 9.6 type books that have gotten bidding wars, but it's not like every one he puts up does that and a fair number of hi grade auctions have ho hum results, so I'm not really suspicious of that result (seller also has close to 10K feedback, maybe a boardie, I dunno)

Just quickly looking round it doesn't look like there are much in the way of high grade slabs for sale. nothing on MYCS, metropolis, mile high, ebay, etc.

The seller has a few advertised 9.6 type books that have gotten bidding wars, but it's not like every one he puts up does that and a fair number of hi grade auctions have ho hum results, so I'm not really suspicious of that result (seller also has close to 10K feedback, maybe a boardie, I dunno)

Just quickly looking round it doesn't look like there are much in the way of high grade slabs for sale. nothing on MYCS, metropolis, mile high, ebay, etc.

I was watching this book too, it went for far more than I wanted to pay.

I have dealt with the seller many times and I would be very surprised if this was not legit, they are spot on with grading too.

It's certainly a book I would have/have bought out of a dollar box and $2 box if nice. But I would have probably passed on a nice sharp copy in a $5 or 3/$10 box. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Edited by the blob

I was watching this book too, it went for far more than I wanted to pay.

I have dealt with the seller many times and I would be very surprised if this was not legit, they are spot on with grading too.

yeah, i don't question the result either. a lot of people scream "shilling" whenever something like this happens. i don't see it. and if repeat buyers trust the grades...

During the Bronze Age one of the best story arcs that i read was the Korvac Saga in the Avengers and other collectors i have spoken to agree. Korvac in my opinion is an underrated villian who deserves more attention and GS Defenders #3 is his first appearance. Not only that but it contains Starlin art and i believe reprinted Ditko and Everett art as well. Add to that the action packed cover with a Daredevil appearance to boot it has finally started to get some notice. Oh year it is also the first book that started off the Bronze Age :whistle:

Edited by Justin Case

Just not much for sale. The book has a following. Might be a few guys with 12 high grade slabs each.

Flying Donut pointed it out a while back.

There is a guy up here who has long boxes full of this book, and has a VA license plate HULK 197. Book is getting hard to find.

Just not much for sale. The book has a following. Might be a few guys with 12 high grade slabs each.

There is a guy up here who has long boxes full of this book, and has a VA license plate HULK 197. Book is getting hard to find.

:o

:o

yeah, because that guy has snagged every copy on the east coast!

It's not a rare book, of course, just doesn't seem that the market has a lot of sharp copies though. Heck, I hit two somewhat nice copies just going through a random unorganized long box this morning (from the looks of it they are the books I bought three NYCCs ago)