• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Flash Gordon #30 maybe? It's a rare Whitman issue.

Rare? :roflmao:

That book has to be one of the most common of the "rare" Whitman issues. Either there was a huge find of this book in recent years or nobody hangs onto them because there are always copies for sale on eBay.

I know that this is for eBay listings, but still that auction ended ALOT higher than I expected for those Gold Key/Whitman books. I was just looking for clarification as to why it ended so high. Wasn't sure what I was missing. My assumption was a super rare Whitman, but then again I thought most of those were the cartoon animal ones.

I've heard that Flash Gordon 30 is rare. It really isn't though. If I recall, it is one of the issues with different cover prices ($0.40 and $0.50), but it seems like both price variants are usually available on eBay at any given time.

That always got me... I mean, it isn't a new character, nor a new person playing an old character. It is the "first Silver Age appearance," which to me, sounds like it should hold as much water as "first full appearance," as that line only appears when it isn't the first actual appearance.

This whole "First Silver...", "First Bronze..", etc. appearances is just pure BS concocted by OS and their dealer coalition to drive demand towards more available books.

A lot of these GA books are quite rare, so instead of looking for them fruitlessly, the OS advisors decided to artificially create new first appearances based on era. Those books were easily obtainable, and flipped for massive profits, so the trend continued.

But it's just one big scam.

That sounds like an awful lot of speculation, and then to accuse OS and the "dealer's coalition" of a big scam sounds kinda' over the top if you ask me. I think the more notes OS wants to put into their listings the better. If anything, I would guess, but I am not going to make an accusatory statement, that it was we the collectors who were the ones that made "2nd appearance" or "first silver age appearance", etc. stand out as something worthy of being mentioned in the guide. We collectors can come up with all kinds of excuses as to why WE are going to make a book hot, first artist on a character, first time a writer has worked at a company, first battle between two well known characters and etc. Yeah, like OS and dealers are going to try to sell their existing inventory for higher profits by including more informative text in the OS price guide. Granted, some of those notes do help collectors seek out issues based on these added facts, but that applies to every stat listed.

That always got me... I mean, it isn't a new character, nor a new person playing an old character. It is the "first Silver Age appearance," which to me, sounds like it should hold as much water as "first full appearance," as that line only appears when it isn't the first actual appearance.

This whole "First Silver...", "First Bronze..", etc. appearances is just pure BS concocted by OS and their dealer coalition to drive demand towards more available books.

A lot of these GA books are quite rare, so instead of looking for them fruitlessly, the OS advisors decided to artificially create new first appearances based on era. Those books were easily obtainable, and flipped for massive profits, so the trend continued.

That sounds like an awful lot of speculation, and then to accuse OS and the "dealer's coalition" of a big scam sounds kinda' over the top if you ask me. I think the more notes OS wants to put into their listings the better. If anything, I would guess, but I am not going to make an accusatory statement, that it was we the collectors who were the ones that made "2nd appearance" or "first silver age appearance", etc. stand out as something worthy of being mentioned in the guide. We collectors can come up with all kinds of excuses as to why WE are going to make a book hot, first artist on a character, first time a writer has worked at a company, first battle between two well known characters and etc. Yeah, like OS and dealers are going to try to sell their existing inventory for higher profits by including more informative text in the OS price guide. Granted, some of those notes do help collectors seek out issues based on these added facts, but that applies to every stat listed.

These are great points. I think it works both ways. You don't think dealers end up with truckloads of a particular book and spread stories about why it should be worth something?

For some reason everybody is mislabelling this book:

http://www.dtacollectibles.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/144221/

It's know as the 1st Contemporary Black Adam.

Yeah, first 'bronze' appearance or whatever. I think his last appearance before Shazam 28 was back in the golden age.

These are great points. I think it works both ways. You don't think dealers end up with truckloads of a particular book and spread stories about why it should be worth something?

I can understand that theory, but is it really practical? We can come up with an idea like that and even make it sound like it makes sense, but has this really been done? And if it has, has it actually made any impact? If so, can anyone provide any examples?

There's only a couple Shazam 28's on ebay right now, good to see a bronze book like this catching heat. I hit up some LCSs and some distant ones this weekend and only came away with 2 copies

For some reason everybody is mislabelling this book:

http://www.dtacollectibles.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/144221/

Whoops, thanks for the heads up, the description is now accurate.

I'm not surprised. #98, #99 and #106 are very tough to find in high grade. Very overlooked and underappreciated, as are the issues around #138 which I believe started reprinting Spidey in Amazing Fantasy #15 and Spider-Man #1 and so on.

Again, another group of books kicked around in quarter bins for years and never collected as investment quality books.

:o It the buyer did not mistake what he was buying.....that's crazy! Glad I have #1-110, I would hate spending big money on reprints.

I'm not surprised. #98, #99 and #106 are very tough to find in high grade. Very overlooked and underappreciated, as are the issues around #138 which I believe started reprinting Spidey in Amazing Fantasy #15 and Spider-Man #1 and so on.

Again, another group of books kicked around in quarter bins for years and never collected as investment quality books.

+1 re: #138 up that reprint AF #15 then ASM #1 onwards. They also come in CDN price variants if I recall correctly. If I can find them this weekend I will post them.

:o It the buyer did not mistake what he was buying.....that's crazy! Glad I have #1-110, I would hate spending big money on reprints.

You need not worry. You own everything. :sumo::baiting:

This book guides for about 4 bucks in the current Overstreet. I could see it going for double to triple Guide in VF because of movie mayhem...but over 20 times Guide? :eek:

Edited by cloudofwit

This book guides for about 4 bucks in the current Overstreet. I could see it going for double to triple Guide in VF because of movie mayhem...but over 20 times Guide? :eek:

Guide is wrong. I'll buy every single one you have for triple Guide. All of them.

Guide is wrong. I'll buy every single one you have for triple Guide. All of them.

Well, there you go. Spoken from a major dealer. The word is out. And I mean that in all seriousness.